• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

I guess I've stumped you guys.

A private soldier of the 2nd Regiment of Lincoln Militia captured a New York infantry regimental colour at the Battle ofQueenston Heights, 13 October1812. His company had forced marched from Chippawa to Queenston that afternoon and arrived just in time to join the assault ordered by General Scheaffe on the American lines.

The colour was sent to the UK as a war trophy with the colours captured by the 41st Regiment at Detroit earlier that year. It was hung in the Great Hall at Chelsea for many years. It is now under glass in the museum, and a replica hangs in its place.

The Queen has had it on loan long enough. I say return it!  :fifty:

Ok I'll let my FMR one run one more day and post the answer tomorrow if no one gets it.

Here's an easy one. What happened at or near Terrance BC in WWII?

could you narrow it down to a particular year? I think I might know what it is, but I am not positive(only fools are positive)

I am also awake with nothing better to do  ;D

There was a mutiny of bored Canadian soldiers in 1944 because of nothing to do, is that it?

I wad thinking of the opening of the skeena river highway, opened by transporting a convoy of canadian and american bands, but yours sounds alot more exciting related to military history.

Kirkpatrick has it, partially. The mutiny wasn't so much about boredom but being sent overseas. The camp was a training base for NRMA troops (Zombies) who were enlisted/conscripted for the defence of Canada only. By 1944 the units overseas needed warm bodies to replace casualties and it was decided to ship some NRMA overseas. For some strange reason they objected to this.

Barry Broadfoot's oral history of WWII Six War Years has a fairly good first person accout of the mutiny in it, including the deployment of a battery of arty by the mutineers who threatened to blow up  the troop trains that were to take them back east.

Followup question. Was this the last time Canadian Military personal mutinied?

I'll post the FMR answer later today.

Oh I've heard of the "zombies".  As for your follow-up, an example comes off the top of my head.  HMCS Uganda, one of Canada's few cruiser class ships voted itself out of the war (democracy at work!) because most of its crew did not volunteer for service in the Japanese conflict.  :D

Last mutiny I am aware of was on HMCS Magnificent and a couple of destroyers in the '50s. Something about working conditions and British officers, I think, but I could be wrong.....

That's the one I was thinking of. Not sure if the Magnificent was involved, just a couple of ships of the west coast fleet.

I remember watching a documentary about it 10-15 years ago with my Dad (former RCN). Some talking head suggested it was all about British officers and the old man quietly advised me that was so much BS. He didn't offer any details, but I feel it was more a working conditions thing. Probably more on the line of a work to rule campaign then a full blown mutiny. No biggie these days but probably something in the 1950's.

And before you ask, no the old man wan't in it. I checked he was based in Halifax at the time. Probably knew some of the guys involved though.

Ooops forgot to post the FMR answer yesterday.

In 1944 when the regiment arrived in Normandy for some reason they brought the Regimental Drums with them. During some heavy fighting it looked like the unit would have to withdraw or even be overrun. To prevent their capture the Drums were buried in a French farmer's barn.

The FMR were able to beat back the enemy counterattack and then either because they were moving too fast, forgot about them, or perhaps couldn't remember where they'd buried them, the drums were left behind. They were eventually located and returned to the Unit in the 1950s.

The above was a little anecdote I discovered while reshelving some of my history books in new cases. ( got bored and started reading). I've not been able to confirm it or get other details. Any FMRs out there know the whole story?

Which German Bomber was capable of bombing New York City?

Messerschmitt Me264 Amerika bomber - designed as a maritime bomber (from a long range research aircraft) that had the range to reach cities on the US east coast and return.

Danjanou said:
Ok I'll let my FMR one run one more day and post the answer tomorrow if no one gets it.

Here's an easy one. What happened at or near Terrance BC in WWII?

Was this not related to the employment of the 13th Brigade at Kiska?  Or was that a seperate incident?

Art Johnson said:
Just a guess, a Japanese fire ballon touched down.
which question are you answering, because the Terrace BC question was answered a while ago.

Spr.Earl said:
Mike I think he may mean Terrace B.C.?

LOL

Yes, I know - they embarked for Kiska in BC, and before embarkation were concentrated in the province IIRC...

During WWII there were only 3 Dry Docks able too take the Qn. Mary name them.
I'll eliminate one of them because the River was not deep enough for her and that was Gladstone Dock in Liverpool.U.K.
Where were the other two?

I'll venture a guess by saying that Halifax is probably one of them

Back