• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question on Job Offer

N-CK

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone I've got a question that despite searching for an hour now I haven't really got a clear answer.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but if I could get at least one clear answer It would be much appreciated.

I just got merit listed today and am told I will be receiving my job offer in the New Year.  Obviously I'm excited about this but I am also slightly apprehensive about the Job offer, more specifically my posting.  Let me clarify, In my interview I put my preference towards being in the Vandoos (I'm calling them that for the sake of people searching with a similar question).  I have a knowledge of what I call "shampoo bottle French".  Which means I understand the things I see everyday on the bilingual labels, basic convo, but not much else.  Once again for this searching as I have this is a question on English Joining Vandoos.  The officer who put my preference down said it was unusual but shouldn't be a problem.  I do however realize I am at the mercy of the Command and will go wherever I am needed.  My reason for saying the vandoos were that I wanted to be living out east, and want to become bilingual.

My questions are as follows and hopefully I can get somewhat of an answer

1) Will I be told where I will serve upon receiving my job offer, and in your experience did your preference affect that at all?

2) Is the idea of an Anglo (specifically Albertan) joining the French just impractical.  I know it would slow me down, but would I be missing out on lots of little pointers important to my safety and future career?  And do they really hate us?

3) Where would my best likelyhood of deployment take place?

Thank you for anyone who may take the time to help me, or refer me to a previous thread I have not found.  For the Record I am joining as Infantry with no previous military experience, but do have an aptitude for languages and am a fast learner (by my regard).

1. No they will not.
2. Very impractical. The french do not hate you, but you aren't fluent, and shampoo bottle french is not what they speak in quebec.
3. No idea

On a side note my first language is english, but I took french immersion in public school all the way to grade 13 from kindergarden. It was only after working in a all french office for the past several years that I have become comfortable and effective with the language. My advice would be to look into this a little more because from your post what you are trying to do isn't very realistic.

However I should add that I have no information to give you on the specific language requirements of a french speaking unit in the CF.

I answered most of this on the phone with a recruiter today sorry for wasting time guys.  I guess I was looking more for personal feedback on the idea.  Apparently I am not the only guy doing it this time around and was told to prepare for anything.  I was told my best chance of a deployment will happen where I am able to learn as quickly as I can and adapt to the style...which would be in a regiment of your first language.  There is a placement exam I will have to take for this sort of thing.  Can't do anything about it until after the holidays except study.

for what my experience count...

DO not go on a french unit if you are anglophone....I did that (me french) in an English base one summer...and it was...pretty...hard even if I'm considered bilingual...mentality is not the same...

Do not get me wrong here...I'm not doing a fench-english war here...but its just things happen...

Ask to go with PPCLI or with any other English infantry unit...it will serve you better.

mysteriousmind said:
for what my experience count...

DO not go on a french unit if you are anglophone....I did that (me french) in an English base one summer...and it was...pretty...hard even if I'm considered bilingual...mentality is not the same...

Do not get me wrong here...I'm not doing a fench-english war here...but its just things happen...

Ask to go with PPCLI or with any other English infantry unit...it will serve you better.

On my second crack at the CF, I was an Adm Clk, posted to a Calgary unit - one of my compadres was a young French fella' (Marco!  You out there?) - who had decided that he wanted as much English exposure as possible.

It worked for him, too.  He endured much hilarity at his expense, and went on to become a very valuable Sr NCO.  We met again as Sergeants on our 6A course - and he had shed the "francophone" "tics of speech" that were a trademark of his when we were Privates together.  His English was impeccable - sadly, unlike my French.

The row Marco hoed was not an easy one - he was very often frustrated at being made fun of in our "Anglo" unit.  The jibes and hits he took were, at times, cruel - but he endured and became a very respected bilingual Sr NCO - I have a great deal of time and respect for him (I NEVER became anything close to proficient in French).

You are letting yourself in for some extremely hurtful and damaging behaviour on the part of your unit mates - human nature being what it is.  If you think you can handle it (and from your posts you haven't even done BMQ yet - you have no IDEA what you can "handle"), then do it.

My recommendation, however, would be to stick with the language you are fluent in - later, when you are confident in your abilities as a soldier, you can explore the wider universe represented by serving in another language.

Your plate is already full - why cause it to be overfilled?

Roy

Back