• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question Regarding Trades That Aren't Open Till April

Cleric515

Inactive
Reaction score
so we all know that specific trades won't have open slots till april, but this is my question. Every trade I assume has a certain quota of numbers that they would like to pull in for that year that way they have their required numbers but because BMQ is already loading into September wouldn't that mean that the numbers they want for a certain trade would be no where near their quota.

For myself I applied to the Navy for marine electrician and will be entering semi skilled but because my trade won't open till April I have to sit tight. I remember when talking to my recruiter he stated something along the lines that they hired about 50 marine electricians in the past year so that would mean they were sending one off to BMQ every week since there are 52 weeks in a year. Now because September is loading up already and that's already 6 months gone, what happens to the number of people they need in a trade, does the army just tough it out for the year and cross their fingers for the next?

The occupations that are open effective 1 April have been processing and filling BMQ's for a few weeks already.  Maybe Marine electrician isn't open yet. 

We fill BMQ vacancies with whomever we have on the merit list so you might get a course with more than half the same occupation. I'm sure when crewman opens up there will a course or two just for those waiting.  The BMQ's are not filled by occupation  i.e. there is one BMQ spot for one certain trade. It's a basic course that everybody needs so they are filled with a cross section of recruits.

My advice to you is go see the CFRC again and find out the status of your file as if they are waiting to process you until after 1 April then you will be waining a while. 

all i know at this moment is that i was told during the middle of february that my PLAR had been looked over and that I would be entering as "semi skilled." i phoned last week to talk to my recruiter and was informed that my application was passed off to the people who deal with offers and was told that he wouldn't know anything till april 1st about how many recruits were going to be needed for that position but i am merit listed so yeah that pretty much sums up where i am at the moment

CFR FCS said:
The occupations that are open effective 1 April have been processing and filling BMQ's for a few weeks already.  Maybe Marine electrician isn't open yet. 

We fill BMQ vacancies with whomever we have on the merit list so you might get a course with more than half the same occupation. I'm sure when crewman opens up there will a course or two just for those waiting.  The BMQ's are not filled by occupation  i.e. there is one BMQ spot for one certain trade. It's a basic course that everybody needs so they are filled with a cross section of recruits.

My advice to you is go see the CFRC again and find out the status of your file as if they are waiting to process you until after 1 April then you will be waining a while.

My CFRC told me that if need be, they will slot me in a already filled BMQ date. Only because the trades I picked were in high demand.

HavocSteve said:
My CFRC told me that if need be, they will slot me in a already filled BMQ date. Only because the trades I picked were in high demand.

How does that work????

im curious as well because marine electrician was definitely a hot job or in demand when i applied and when i look at samples it's rare that i see the odd application with marine electrician on it, but if they can slot you in an already filled bmq i guess that's good

I somehow doubt anyone is "slotted for a position" on a full BMQ.  However, each BMQ probably has a "waiting list" since they know from experience that X amount of people are not able to attend for various reasons.  They probably put X amount of people on that waiting list for each course.

As far as applying for a "hot" trade, when you go on BMQ is largely dependent (in most cases) as to when your trades training is.  If the QL3 course for your particular trade isn't going to be run until Jan 2011 (for example), they are in no hurry to get you on BMQ to have you sit around on PAT platoon for months after, waiting for your QL3 course (unless there are other courses you can take while waiting).  Yes the trade may be "in demand" but they need trained personnel.

fischer10 said:
How does that work????
I'm not quite sure. TBH, I wasn't sure if he was just throwing it out there for something to do lol. Possibly he meant what PMedMoe mentioned.

We have all been waiting patiently for this day to come. Some longer than others.  Should we give the CFRC's we applied to phone calls to make sure that everything is in order for us?  Let them contact us? Whats the best course of action here on in?

The best course of action I'd say is be patient and wait for them to reach you. I'm sure they know what they are doing.

I sent an email this morning like the recruiter told me. But today will probably be their busiest day of the year, and they are likely to be completely overloaded with calls, so I am not sure if I will even receive a response before next week. I am wondering if it would make any difference to contact them about the opening trades, or is it up to the head office to decide who from the merit list goes to the opening positions if there is not many?

Hi, I talked to my recruiter last week and they said to call on April 6th if I don't hear from them first. The anticipation is killing me ....lol....I so hope I get into BMQ  by August, applied for combat engineer.......good luck everyone!!!

DavieRocket77 said:
Hi, I talked to my recruiter last week and they said to call on April 6th if I don't hear from them first. The anticipation is killing me ....lol....I so hope I get into BMQ  by August, applied for combat engineer.......good luck everyone!!!
Strange, I don't know why they told you the 6th. I was asked to email him on April 1st

All Canadian Forces Recruiting Centres and Detachments will be closed for the period of 1 to 5 April 2010 inclusive. Normal hours of operation will resume on Tuesday, 6 April 2010.

Thank You for sharing that Jaybar, I completely forgot about the long weekend  :)

DavieRocket77 said:

Have you done the testing?

Today around 3:00 i gave my local CFRC's a call lol. That i guess was a bad idea i called 3 different numbers all instantly put me to voicemail. like most of you im dying to know if anything opened up i applied in november of 09 for infantry, amoured, and artillery i finished all my stuff and i'm on the merit list. They told me april is likely when something will open up if i don't hear from them next week i will give them a call again but i'm sure they were drowning from people asking the exact same question as me. If anyone found out if anything opened up please post and let us know so we all don't die lol.

I really wish people would have the intelligence to read.  It would really help their chances of joining the CF.

gwones said:
All Canadian Forces Recruiting Centres and Detachments will be closed for the period of 1 to 5 April 2010 inclusive. Normal hours of operation will resume on Tuesday, 6 April 2010.
Thank You for sharing that Jaybar, I completely forgot about the long weekend  :) 

So i want to join the army right this instant.

My plan is to go to military college and then join the army.

So i ask, is it too late to join the kingston military college for next year, and to do the BMQ this summer?

Any extra info you can think of on this subject is GREATLY appreciated

Back