• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about joining the Reserves

Sean Murray said:
. . . Can someone please state whether or not it is possible for someone to become a reservist in a civilian capacity i.e. doing administrative tasks? Also, would anyone know whether there are such opportunities elsewhere in the domain of national security and public safety? Thank you.

No.  A reservist is a member of the Canadian Forces, usually a part-time member but not always.  There are no civilians in the Canadian Armed Forces.  There are, however, civilians who work for the Department of National Defence or other government departments or agencies who may be employed alongside or in support of CAF members.  As has been suggested to you before in other threads if you want such employment then you need to seek out what job openings there are in the public service.  Start here https://www.canada.ca/en/services/defence/jobs.html

Canadian_beast said:
Hey I have a question for y’all is it a good idea to join the reg force with no prior military experience. Couple of my friends in the military said join the reserves cause it’s easier but I know I have what it takes at least I think I do but what do y’all think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion the reserves shouldn't be a "trial" sort of thing where you just test the waters out, because you're still in the military.  Reservists are trained to the same standard as reg force and if you're joining  the reserves with the intention of leaving immediately / in the near future you would be better off just applying for the regular forces when you're ready.

Mason Jar said:
In my opinion the reserves shouldn't be a "trial" sort of thing where you just test the waters out, because you're still in the military.  Reservists are trained to the same standard as reg force and if you're joining  the reserves with the intention of leaving immediately / in the near future you would be better off just applying for the regular forces when you're ready.

:rofl:

Some Reservists are trained to Regular Force standards. The majority are not.

I understand your desire to be helpful, Mason Jar, however...

Hi all,

Quick question pertaining to the "One weekend a month".. At what time do you report for the weekend? Is it Friday evening or Saturday morning or does it vary?

Thanks

Scorched said:
Hi all,

Quick question pertaining to the "One weekend a month".. At what time do you report for the weekend? Is it Friday evening or Saturday morning or does it vary?

Thanks

It varies between units and brigades greatly. Some weekend training you'll have to report at 1830 on Friday, some it'll be 0800 Saturday morning.

It all depends on what the training is, how it's being conducted, who it's being conducted by.

Weekend training won't be every month either.

In the case of weekend BMQ/BMQ-LAND you'll report to the Armoury for 1830 Friday a d you'll be dismissed 1700 on Sunday.

Thanks for the reply. So when you're not on training for the most part its just one day a week?  I thought units go on an exercise once a month.

Scorched said:
Thanks for the reply. So when you're not on training for the most part its just one day a week?  I thought units go on an exercise once a month.

Do not always expect to be on an exercise once a month.
What you are tasked to do on weekend training will vary.
Examples of what may be scheduled for weekend training include:

- Mandatory classroom lectures / PD (Professional Development training,
-  Range shoots,
- Unit cleaning / maintenance,
- Open House,
- Ceremonies / Parades, and yes
- Training exercises

Theses examples are an example of the monthly weekend training. Units will adjust to what is required at the time.

kratz said:
Do not always expect to be on an exercise once a month.
What you are tasked to do on weekend training will vary.
Examples of what may be scheduled for weekend training include:

- Mandatory classroom lectures / PD (Professional Development training,
-  Range shoots,
- Unit cleaning / maintenance,
- Open House,
- Ceremonies / Parades, and yes
- Training exercises

Theses examples are an example of the monthly weekend training. Units will adjust to what is required at the time.

Great information. Thank you :)

Hi everyone,

I'm in the recruiting process for the reserves with possibility of doing weekend BMQ this fall/winter.
I have a few questions I couldn't find on the forum:

- What would happen if, after I finish BMQ, something prevented me from doing trades training the summer immediately after?  Could I defer it to the following year?
    - what if something prevented me from finishing the BMQ or DP1 midway through, would I be able to do it in the future or discharged forever?

- After being fully trained in my trade, if my civilian life required me to move cities, could I transition into a new unit fairly seamlessly?

I realize some people will say don't apply if you are already planning to leave.  I assure you I'm not, I'm really excited to start after all this time looking into it.
I'm just looking for all the info in case a "once in a lifetime" opportunity arises in the next year or so.

Thanks!

Answers in italics below.  Most of these answers can be found in detail even looking in this thread, but I'll cover the questions in general.  Feel free to send me a PM if you were unable to find more detailed answers.

infantryman? said:
Hi everyone,

I'm in the recruiting process for the reserves with possibility of doing weekend BMQ this fall/winter.
I have a few questions I couldn't find on the forum:

- What would happen if, after I finish BMQ, something prevented me from doing trades training the summer immediately after?  Could I defer it to the following year?
              This would depend entirely on your Unit and the expectations they have with regards to you being trade qualified.  Generally most Reserve Units are understanding of the realities of why you might be unavailable for training - Work, for example, etc.  You'd need to discuss with your potential Unit during the process and they will likely be curious why.

- what if something prevented me from finishing the BMQ or DP1 midway through, would I be able to do it in the future or discharged forever?
                See Above.  Way to many variables to answer that question fairly.  Depends on the reasons why you were unable to complete training, etc.

- After being fully trained in my trade, if my civilian life required me to move cities, could I transition into a new unit fairly seamlessly?
          As seamlessly as you make it, really.  Assuming you were in good standing with your Unit and transferred, it really comes down to your followup with the new Unit and if they have space for you in your chosen trade.  If you try transferring to another Unit that does NOT have positions for your trade, it can be a little trickier, but still worth looking into. PRes Units expect a certain amount of turnover and transfer - but if there is no Unit in the City you have transferred to.... etc.

I realize some people will say don't apply if you are already planning to leave.  I assure you I'm not, I'm really excited to start after all this time looking into it.
I'm just looking for all the info in case a "once in a lifetime" opportunity arises in the next year or so.
Best of Luck!

Thanks!

Hi there,

I'm planning on joining the reserves as a medical assistant and had a few questions.

1. Based on what I have found till now reserve bmq is done at the unit base you apply to, on weekends. Can someone clarify this a bit? All the training can't be done inside so do they offer transportation to the training sites or do you have to find a way to get there?
2.Trade specific training seems to be taught at CFB Borden which is a 3+ hour drive from where I live. Do you go there, get your training and return or do you have to travel there repeatedly?
3.How long will it take to be a fully trained Med A (considering you choose the weekend bmq option)?
4.Where I go to school, grade 10 science is not taught in sub sections. The course itself is science and within the course the various sections are taught. The sub sections are taught separately in different classes from grade 11 onwards. According to the career options website, the required education is grade 11 bio, grade 10 physics or chemistry and grade 10 math. Would it be a problem if my grade 10 courses don't specify each of the science subsections?

P.S. I asked these same questions in the recruits only section which I later realised might give me inaccurate answers.

Has anyone done BMQ Reserve Part-time? What are the usual Fall dates? (Start date to Finish date) 
Or is it different depending on your unit?

Jiminito said:
Has anyone done BMQ Reserve Part-time? What are the usual Fall dates? (Start date to Finish date) 
Or is it different depending on your unit?

It’s different depending on your unit and other factors also. If you read on the previous page, you’ll see info that’ll help fill you in.

Jiminito said:
Has anyone done BMQ Reserve Part-time?

Some have,

Weekend BMQ
https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&ei=X315W7XwF4HLjwS9lo_gBw&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+weekend+bmq&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+weekend+bmq&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0i71k1l8.0.0.0.74403.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.fyVYT4plSdI

Hi everyone, I just recently got into the Reserves and I had the chance to talk to some people at my unit. Someone told me that you must be over the age of 18 to deploy on any sort of mission, whether it be in Canada or overseas. However my recruiter told me that even though I was under the age of 18 I would be able to go on domestic deployments like Natural Disasters and whatnot. I was wondering if anyone here could confirm who was right? Part of the reason I joined was for the opportunity to help out just a little in emergencies. Thanks!

Mason Jar said:
Someone told me that you must be over the age of 18 to deploy on any sort of mission, whether it be in Canada or overseas. However my recruiter told me that even though I was under the age of 18 I would be able to go on domestic deployments like Natural Disasters and whatnot. I was wondering if anyone here could confirm who was right?

Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

Greetings, I'm currently 15 years old (turning 16 soon). I am planning on joining the Infantry Reserves (I live in Toronto), the problem is I have to get in shape. I was planning on getting into shape from now until new years, then right around new years contacting a reserve unit near me to start the process. Would I be able to complete weekend BMQ during 2019 then be able to start DPL the following summer in time? Should I contact my unit earlier?

Hello,

Your question was actually asked in a similar fashion earlier on this board:

radier3088 said:
Greetings, I'm currently 15 years old (turning 16 soon). I am planning on joining the Infantry Reserves (I live in Toronto), the problem is I have to get in shape. I was planning on getting into shape from now until new years, then right around new years contacting a reserve unit near me to start the process. Would I be able to complete weekend BMQ during 2019 then be able to start DPL the following summer in time? Should I contact my unit earlier?

And here was the answer

BeyondTheNow said:
It’s different depending on your unit and other factors also. If you read on the previous page, you’ll see info that’ll help fill you in.

That answer remains the same for your query as well, it depends on your unit.

For reserve recruiting it's always best to reach out to the unit you are wanting to join and discuss training options directly with the staff there.

Hi there,

1.  I'm thinking of joining the reserves, direct entry for officer.  I was told leaving the reserves is easy if it doesn't work out - e.g. 30 days notice.  Is that true?  Don't reservists need to fill out a bunch of Voluntary Release paperwork?  In the meantime, are reservists required to continue attending parades and monthly weekends?

2.  If I do join and I am waiting around for my BMQ and BMOQ - do I have to attend unit parades and on weekends?  What can I do before the BMQ?  Do I get a uniform?

3.  How strict are the weekly parades and weekend service requirements once I'm in as a reserve?  If I want to skip here and there (family obligations or religious reasons), are decision makers usually flexible?  Does it depend on the unit?

Thanks for any help.

Back