• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about joining the Reserves

JMei001 said:
< snip > the CO may chose to reject my file?

George Wallace said:
Reserve unit CO's have to approve accepting the member, and then it is passed up for Area approval.

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of up to date information.

What reason would a CO have to reject someone's file?

I had a perfect medical, did well on FORCES, great references and background check, great interview, I did meh on the CFAT but I still qualified for my trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I'm a PRes applicant for weapons tech in the Toronto area. The last I heard from my recruiter was that my application was at the competition stage (this was on Sept 5) and that I should be hearing back in a few weeks. So far there is no news yet but does anyone have any idea when the start dates are for the reserves weekend BMQ this year?

Thanks!

JustinL said:
Hi all,

I'm a PRes applicant for weapons tech in the Toronto area. The last I heard from my recruiter was that my application was at the competition stage (this was on Sept 5) and that I should be hearing back in a few weeks. So far there is no news yet but does anyone have any idea when the start dates are for the reserves weekend BMQ this year?

Thanks!

Contact HMCS York and put in a request to join the Naval Reserve as a Marine Technician. With your medical and FORCE test already done, they'll have you in the door and in uniform in about a week.

Also, our trade training takes place in either Quebec City, Victoria, or Halifax, and our exercises are in sunny Victoria where you get hot food and get to sleep on a soft bed.

Go NAVY; Beat ARMY.

JMei001 said:
Hey guys,

I'm currently a PRes/Class A Reserve applicant. I've  completed all the major steps in the application process (CFAT, BG and Reference check, Medical, Interview, FORCE test). I checked on my file last Friday and was told that I've passed all of them, and it's just going to go to the CO's desk for final approval before I start up my BMQ! Great news of course. However, someone told me, although I'm not sure reliable, told me not to get my hopes up and that the CO may chose to reject my file? I don't see why, as there's no competition list, in the reserves its first come first serve and pass all your tests.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Thank you!

Was the person that told you "Don't get your hopes up" Part of the staff of that specific unit? Otherwise, tell them to shove it. 
The reserves are in desperate need of personnel. There's no reason to reject you. Just stay positive. 

Primus said:
Was the person that told you "Don't get your hopes up" Part of the staff of that specific unit? Otherwise, tell them to shove it. 
The reserves are in desperate need of personnel. There's no reason to reject you. Just stay positive.
Thanks! A random person I know told me that, couldn't comprehend why I would get rejected if everything went well. That not only wastes my time, but the CAF's too.

Thanks!! :) much appreciated

Lumber said:
Contact HMCS York and put in a request to join the Naval Reserve as a Marine Technician. With your medical and FORCE test already done, they'll have you in the door and in uniform in about a week.

Also, our trade training takes place in either Quebec City, Victoria, or Halifax, and our exercises are in sunny Victoria where you get hot food and get to sleep on a soft bed.

Go NAVY; Beat ARMY.

Honestly it's kind of tempting with my brother being a mar tech and all in the Navy Pres. At this point I'm just hoping ill be able to start BMQ this fall, there's absolutely zero information on BMQ schedules for the reserves [:(

JustinL said:
At this point I'm just hoping ill be able to start BMQ this fall, there's absolutely zero information on BMQ schedules for the reserves [:(

BMQs in the PRes are run at the unit level national level in Nav Res. Thats why there's no info. Ask your prospective unit.

Editted to ensure correct information.

PuckChaser said:
BMQs in the PRes are run at the unit level national level in Nav Res. Thats why there's no info. Ask your prospective unit.

Editted to ensure correct information.
I can't speak on other Brigades, but I know this also isn't accurate for 32 CBG.
BMQ's are run by 32 CBG Battle School and information on BMQ's is absolutely available.

As pointed out by PuckChaser, BMQs for NAVRES are run at the National Level and information is absolutely available.

Also a correction to "there is no competition list for Reserves".

There is no competition list held by CFRG HQ; however at the unit level if there are 5 people applying for 2 Supply Technician positions; guess what - the CO is going to hold an internal competition list and pick the best 2 of those 5 (in the opinion of the CO & the Selection Board that the CO forms).  I've seen this happen several times; and on more than one occasion as the Senior RMS Clerk was involved in the board when selecting an RMS Clerk for the unit.  It's not always "first across the line" with Reserves (although it is sometimes the case, so I won't say it's never the case).

Thanks for the replies!

Hi Buck,
I've looked for current BMQ reserve schedules everywhere on the official websites (including the 32 CBG page) and haven't found anything. Would you be able to point out where the information is posted? The reason I ask is because my recruiter told me I should have appointment dates for enrollment by the end of September and to contact him if that didn't happen. Seeing that its October and that I can't get a hold of my recruiter (by email or phone) I feel just slightly worried...

Thanks again :cdn:

JustinL said:
Thanks for the replies!

Hi Buck,
I've looked for current BMQ reserve schedules everywhere on the official websites (including the 32 CBG page) and haven't found anything. Would you be able to point out where the information is posted? The reason I ask is because my recruiter told me I should have appointment dates for enrollment by the end of September and to contact him if that didn't happen. Seeing that its October and that I can't get a hold of my recruiter (by email or phone) I feel just slightly worried...

Thanks again :cdn:

Hi Justin,

So there is a difference between "dates being available" and "dates being published on the internet".
The dates are available on the DWAN (military intranet), but generally are not made public.  For BMQ dates you should ask the recruiter for your respective unit; as they 'should' have access to this information or at least be able to ask the Training Sgt/PO of their unit for the information.

Cheers,

Buck_HRA said:
Hi Justin,

So there is a difference between "dates being available" and "dates being published on the internet".
The dates are available on the DWAN (military intranet), but generally are not made public.  For BMQ dates you should ask the recruiter for your respective unit; as they 'should' have access to this information or at least be able to ask the Training Sgt/PO of their unit for the information.

Cheers,

Ah I see, I guess I'll just pester my recruiter with more emails and see what he says. Thanks!

Hi everyone ,

Looking for some info on the reserves.

I am 32 working in warehouse logistics and have been thinking of joining the reserves. My goal is the sharpen my professional skills and benefit from working in a structured environment.

I've been looking into joining a reserve base in my city and hold onto my civilian Job.

My following question is based on the fact that I am open to maybe immersing myself into the military life if I see a road to progression , I am hard worker and would love to see all the benefits of working in a merit based system , I can see myself thriving in such an environment.

Can you progress and be offered opportunities in the reserves ?

Can I offer more work hours to my home unit on top of the 2 days offered if i desire to prove myself ?

My end goal in offering more of myself than required to the reserves is to see what is the maximum I can offer my country and I am very intrigued to see what they can offer back. The money aspect is not important. It's more about pride and being acknowledged for my hard work.

Any feed back would be great.

Thanks!

Jimmygrigs said:
Can you progress and be offered opportunities in the reserves ?

Career Progression - Reserve NCM
https://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Career_Progression_-_Reserve_NCM

Reserve Employment Opportunities 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/113234.0

Promotion Policy of the PRes 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/102568.0

Promotion to Sgt in PRes
https://army.ca/forums/threads/94421.0

Reserves Promotion 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/91745.0

etc...

Jimmygrigs said:
Can I offer more work hours to my home unit on top of the 2 days offered if i desire to prove myself ?

Total amount that Reservists make in a year 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/117121.0

Reserves and Deployment 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/102409.0

Class A over 16 days a month, Class A over 80 days a year 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/107576.0

etc...

As always, Recruiting and your unit are your most trusted source of information.

Hey all,

I'm very interested in joining the navy reserves in Toronto, but am questioning whether my educational background meets the requirements of becoming a reservist. Due to hard circumstances, I dropped out of high school as a young teen, worked and travelled the world in the meantime, and then enrolled in the University of Toronto through their bridging program. I've graduated that program and am now taking first year studies in Arts & Sci at UofT.
So, I'm working towards a bachelors degree now but without having fully finished my high school, including grade 10 math, however I completed grade 11 biology... Could I somehow be considered an exception to the eligibility requirements? And if so, would I still be considered for ranks that would otherwise be afforded to someone with their high school + in their first year studies at a reputable university? I'd like to train to become an intelligence or public affairs officer and have my education partially subsidized through the paid education program.

Any and all information is welcome.

Thanks!

reachmila said:
I'm very interested in joining the navy reserves in Toronto, but am questioning whether my educational background meets the requirements of becoming a reservist.

Applying for a part-time position in the Reserve Force

To join the Reserve Force, you must:
•possess Canadian citizenship
•be 18 years of age or older
•have completed a minimum of provincial grade 10 education or Secondary IV in Quebec

Full-time students who have completed a provincial grade 10 education, or Secondary IV in Quebec, may apply at the age of 16 or 17 with the consent of a parent or legal guardian.
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/caf-jobs/apply-now/apply-now.html

•have completed a minimum of provincial grade 10 education or Secondary IV in Quebec

^ See now that's where I'm confused as I've skipped most of high school and am now in University. Do I still qualify?

reachmila said:
Do I still qualify?

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Good luck.  :)

reachmila said:

^ See now that's where I'm confused as I've skipped most of high school and am now in University. Do I still qualify?

Although I'm confused, as long as you graduated high school you're fine, since you need to have all your credits to graduate

Why not post the answer? It might help somebody else someday.

Back