• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

R.I.P.Trooper Marc Diab 8 March 2009

This is awesome.  I'll have to stop there next time I head to Upper Canada.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Jan 14, 2010
Park named for fallen soldier

Thank you for that information, Bruce. I'm not familiar with that park, but I am looking forward to visiting it in the near future.

Joani said:
Furthermore, Trooper Diab's parents have opened the first Lebanese restaurant in Petawawa in his memory.

I haven't tried it yet, but I heard it was very popular on Saturday when I was up there.
I tried it today.  FANTASTIC food.  The restaurant is not very big, but it's well done, and the food is awesome.  Actually, that's a bit of an understatement: it was fantastic.  Anyway, the restaurant is across from Yogi's, just east of McDonald's.  Stop by and enjoy the food. 

Edit to add: Look for this sign.

Link to Army News' story on the new restaurant's grand opening here.

milnews.ca said:
Link to Army News' story on the new restaurant's grand opening here.

Speaking of openings ...

I've eaten at Madameeks quite often. I try to get in for a meal every weekend that I get back to Pet. 9erD and I were speaking with Hani a couple weeks ago and he mentionned that they were seriously considering opening up right here in K-Town next. Oh yay for me if it happens!! Mmmmmmmm; good food.

ArmyVern said:
9erD and I were speaking with Hani a couple weeks ago and he mentionned that they were seriously considering opening up right here in K-Town next. Oh yay for me if it happens!! Mmmmmmmm; good food.
That would be totally awesome.  A night at the KBC, followed up by a a trip to Madameek's in K-Town!

Technoviking said:
That would be totally awesome.  A night at the KBC, followed up by a a trip to Madameek's in K-Town!

I'd be fat, drunk and happy!!  ;D

Link to photo of opening Madameek restaurant in Pet:

http://www.cg.cfpsa.ca/cg-pc/Petawawa/EN/InformationandFAQ/Newspapers/PetPost/Documents/12August2010.pdf

Intriguing + eerie, from brantnews.com ....
.... Diab had a premonition about his death. Before leaving for Afghanistan, he made a secret film to be played at his funeral to comfort his family and friends.

The fallout from Diab's death is the story behind If I Should Fall, a documentary set to screen at the second annual Brantford International Film Festival, running Nov. 3 to Nov. 5 at locations in downtown Brantford.

Featuring interviews with Diab's family, his girlfriend, Mary Barakat, and soldiers who were with him on the battlefield, the film is meant to honour the 157 Canadian soldiers who have died in Afghanistan.

“The only way to honour 157 lives is to take the life of one individual and tell it completely from the beginning to end,” said Paul Culliton, the film's producer. “The film takes you to the heart of loss. If you've ever wondered what it was like to have someone from the military come to your door and tell you your son has died…his mother and his family tell us about that horrible day and they don't hold anything back.” ....
More on the film festival here, and on the documentary here.

milnews.ca said:
.....and on the documentary here.
Thanks for the link.
If the trailer is any indication, I suspect I'll wait for the DVD and watch it at home.  :'(

Journeyman said:
Thanks for the link.
If the trailer is any indication, I suspect I'll wait for the DVD and watch it at home.  :'(
Agreed. 

http://globalnews.ca/news/1044444/fallen-soldiers-family-thanks-petawawa-for-supporting-his-dream/

Marc Diab had always wanted to open a shawarma restaurant, but he never got to fulfill his dream.
He was killed in March 2009  while fighting with the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan, as a member of the Royal Canadian Dragoons regiment. He was 22 years old at the time
His parents wanted to make sure that dream didn’t just fade away.

Shortly after his death his father Hani and mother Jihan Diab moved to Petawawa and opened Madameek Restaurant, not far from CFB Petawawa.
Since that time the community and soldier from the base have embraced the restaurant and the Diab family, who immigrated to Canada from Lebanon in 2000.
As Christmas got closer, the Diabs wanted to thank the community and the troops for their support and helping them keep their son’s memory alive.

On Friday, the Diabs opened their restaurant door to hand out 500 shawarma, free of charge. Hardly a cheap endeavour — each one normally costs $7 — but it was something they felt important to do. Suppliers pitched in by donating pop and desserts, while employees gave their time for free.
“We wanted to give something back to the community, to show our appreciation,” Jihan Diab told Global News.

“We want to do this just to let everybody know that the fallen soldiers never die,” Hani Diab said. “These are heroes.”
The gesture did not go unnoticed.
“We have Remembrance Day… But, it’s just nice to come in here,” said Cpl. Katelyn Nykorak. “They have so much from the culture and they’re remembering him all the time.”

The restaurant also serves as a memorial to Marc, with his photo on the wall and his story on the restaurant’s website
“Every time I come in here, it feels honourable,” Cpl. Nykorak said.
That’s exactly how the Diabs believe their son would want it to be.
“I can see his smile from ear to ear,” Jihan Diab said. “I’m sure we were inspired by him to do this.”

The Diab’s appear to be succeeding in fulfilling their son’s dream: They recently opened up a second shop in nearby Pembroke.

Every time I'm in petawawa, I stop in there. Amazing food!

Back