• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF Leather Jacket (merged discussion and mocking)

I'm going to skip the jacket and go straight to using a set of these bad boys as cuff-links!  :nod:

With the introduction of the metal badges, it confirms that the whole jacket thing is nothing more than an ego trip. You can't even wear it on the flightline or any appertaining portions of the apron. It now appears that the jacket is worthless, except for the 'Look at me' value.

Loachman said:
And where on the ego-jacket are they supposed to be worn?

Saw a few people with them on their jackets today, to go in the same area slip-on's are worn on shirts, etc.

Good2Golf said:
I'm going to skip the jacket and go straight to using a set of these bad boys as cuff-links!  :nod:

Wimp.  Use them as they're intended: jam the pin through your earlobe and wear them as earrings.

dapaterson said:
Wimp.  Use them as they're intended: jam the pin through your earlobe and wear them as earrings.
Blood Ranks ala Blood Wings

Eye In The Sky said:
FWIW I've yet to see any NCM aircrew with this jacket on.

I think half the peopke at Shearwater wearing them are NCM aircrew... I think its a group dynamic thing; once one goes then those around them do.

As I'm not flying, my flight suits have "shrunk," and I don't want to get new ones to work in the lab, I wear CADPAT; I'm fortunately spared the anguish of this particular decision.

Edited for grammar.

Baz said:
I think half the peopke at Shearwater wearing them are NCM aircrew... I think its a group dynamic thing; once one goes then those around them do.

As I'm not flying, my flight suits have "shrunk," and I don't want to get new ones to work in the lab, I wear CADPAT; I'm fortunately spared the anguish of this particular decision.

Edited for grammar.

I recall a time, not so long ago, when almost all the Shearwater NCM aircrew (ie AESOps) came from the Combat Arms.

Hmmm....... :nod:

Nametags question:
I used to be an AC Op, got out, and will hopefully get an offer for pilot in the near future.
Am I allowed to have the AC Op half wings on the jacket nametag until I earn the pilot wings? Or is that kind of thing a no-go?

Nav's who re-muster wear their Nav wings until they earn the upgrade, ( ;D ).  I don't see why AESOPs would be different.

The difference does not seem to be about occupation, but about re-enrolling as opposed to being selected for a commissioning program.  I think the old qualification would have to be re-recognized through PLAR at time of re-enrollment.

AC Op and AES OP are different trades. 

I'm not sure if 'trade badges' (wings are qual badges) are 'allowed' on the leather jacket stuff.

Eye in the Sky - I'm under the impression that they are mandatory. The website has every full and half wing set Canada has on there.
MAJONES - I tend to want to agree with you, and the only thing I could think of against that would be a rule that only full wings are allowed on there, as Eye in the Sky thinks.
That said, since the RCAF has opened the jacket to every trade to worn with the 3's, it would be weird that most members wouldn't be allowed to have anything on there.

Togakure, pretty sure the only metal device(s) on the personally-purchased RCAF leather jacket are the required rank devices attached to the epaulettes.  The name tag is a leather/velcro'd patch similar to US flying clothing name badges.  The name tag can be ordered with an RCAF's Qualification / Trade badge, so your name patch would have the AC Op wings and you would need to get a new name patch with your new wings, once qualified. 

I'll take a gander at the RCAF CWO's name patch next time I see him and double check back here with my findings.

Regards
G2G

Question for the AEC/AC Op types; at what point are you able to put up the Airborne Warning badge on a flight suit, vice the 'half wing' trade badge of AEC/AC Op?  I *guess* when you are in a flying billet, but that's just a guess?

arborne_warning_cbt.png

Good point on the 3B aspect - the leather jacket 'regs' are something I didn't really pay attention to as I already have 5 issued jackets.  ^-^

You RCAF types should Jazz those jackets up. Gaudy and cheap is the way to go..... ;)

Hamish Seggie said:
You RCAF types should Jazz those jackets up. Gaudy and cheap is the way to go..... ;)

Just the thing: http://www.cpgear.com/store/biker_patches/extra_large_ppcli_patch.htm

Back