• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP civilian members in the CF

nsmedicman

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering, how receptive is the RCMP to its civilian employees serving in the CF. I am involved in the hiring process for a civilian position, and I am wondering if my service in the PRes will affect my job with the RCMP, if I am successful with the process.

As far I know they don't have a problem with you being in both jobs .
A few years ago in my home unit we had a woman who was both a reservist and a civi employee with the R.C.M.P . She had to release from the miltary when she became a constable  with them .
Hope this helps

As a Civilian employee of the RCMP, there should be no problem.  It is when you are a member of the RCMP where the problems occur.  You can not be under "two masters" in the time of an 'Emergency' such as war, and the RCMP are 'mobilized' along with the CF.  The RCMP being a Federal Force, are different than Provincial and Municipal Police Forces, and are considered Para-military.  I am sure someone else has a more accurate definition to the rules governing the RCMP and their 'exclusion' from joining the CF Reserves.  

On a side note, there is a movement afoot to make changes to that legislation/policy and allow RCMP members the right to join the CF Reserves, but it has not been too successful to date.

My friend is a reservist and works a civvie job for the RCMP. As side from a hectic schedule, his income is great and his family seems to be very happy with his decision.

Hope this helps,
Rider12

George "On a side note, there is a movement afoot to make changes to that legislation/policy and allow RCMP members the right to join the CF Reserves, but it has not been too successful to date."

I have to step in here and clarify the above issue. The amendment to the QR&O's has been extremely successfull, however with bureaucracy being what it is, it takes a long time!

I know this because I am one of a group of serving RCMP members and Ex CF soldiers that has been working with both the Force and the CF for over 6 years to effect this change. At the present we are merely waiting for the the MND to sit with his Legislative Review Council to sign off on the amendment, the RCMP has reviewed the amendment and has agreed to amend the RCMP Act once the QR&O's are changed. Once this is complete a Joint Announcement will be made.

I have been provided a basic timeline for this amendment (Current as of last week) for the middle of December. Be advised this timeline is flexible as other pressing operational matters understandingly bump it in priority.

Cheers noneck
PM me for more info if required

Back