• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCN to introduce new Conduct Policy and new Alcohol Policy

Pat in Halifax

Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
We all saw this coming and it sure as hell was NOT just someone on the WHITEHORSE at fault:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1723809/royal-canadian-navy-bans-alcohol-at-sea/

Not a surprise.  Unfortunately.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1723809/royal-canadian-navy-bans-alcohol-at-sea/

[Edited in accordance to our rules reference the publishing of a certain person's articles]

What, it's not the restoration of the traditional pre-Unification daily tot of rum? But the Royal Canadian Navy of the First World War and the Second World War won their honours with that daily tot.

A review, released Friday by the fleet’s top commander, recommends the navy develop a strictly enforced code of conduct in addition to increasing the shipboard price of alcohol and consider banning any consumption while ships are at sea, unless there are special events.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/12/12/canada-is-making-it-harder-and-more-expensive-for-its-sailors-to-get-drunk/

How low is the price of alcohol that it contributes to the problem?  Are all drinks duty free at sea?

Jeebus ! Overreact much? I'm surprised they don't just handcuff people to their bunks while in port .

Bunks will be the next target.  Back to hammocks.

MCG said:
How low is the price of alcohol that it contributes to the problem?  Are all drinks duty free at sea?

They were duty-free at all times, including in home port.  Not anymore.

Info machine version:
Today, the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) announced the key findings and recommendations of the internal review on personal conduct within the institution. The vast majority of sailors conduct themselves appropriately and while the RCN is already well-supported by policies and procedures, there is a need for more exacting guidance from leadership, the internal review has found.

The review, led by Commodore Craig Baines, Commander Canadian Fleet Atlantic, was tasked to assess whether the RCN has the appropriate mechanisms in place and to ensure that clear expectations and direction regarding personal conduct are understood and enforced. Vice-Admiral Mark Norman, Commander RCN and Convening Authority for the Internal Review, has approved the review’s findings and recommendations.

Quick Facts
Further to the main findings, the review also concluded that “deck-plate leadership” throughout the RCN must continue to actively communicate, educate, mentor, and serve as models of proper conduct. This is the first and most important step to show sailors what “right looks like.”
The report acknowledges that the RCN, as a national institution, enjoys a tremendous reputation for excellence at sea and it is clear that the vast majority of its officers and sailors know and understand how to represent their country, service and ships.
To address the shortcomings identified by the report, the RCN is actively developing additional measures to better inform its personnel and communicate expectations linked to acceptable behaviour and conduct.
The RCN recognizes that, ultimately, the subject of conduct is a leadership issue that must be tackled at all levels of the RCN chain of command. RCN leaders must continue to actively encourage personnel under their supervision to pursue and adopt a more healthy and balanced lifestyle. These measures will be supported through enhanced training, education and counselling. Existing course modules and training plans regarding personal conduct will be further developed and taught at all levels of training, and to all ranks throughout the course of one’s career.
In addition to the measures outlined above, the RCN will also modernize its alcohol policy and bring further limitations to an existing set of strict rules regarding alcohol consumption on board Canadian warships.
The RCN encourages and promotes a healthy, addiction-free lifestyle and working environment. RCN personnel must strive to adopt this healthy lifestyle and to conduct itself in a way that, at all times, supports the RCN’s core value of being ready for service, and of serving Canada before self, which is defined by the “Ready Aye Ready” attitude ....
"Executive Summary: Internal Review of Personal Conduct" accessible here

So, overall there was a leadership failure on ships (or there would not have been a problem, right?).

So, instead of handling it as a leadership failure, remove the beer machines.

Still leaves the same weak leadership in place doesn't it?  Doesn't say much for the RCNs faith in ships Captains and Coxswains.  IMO.

I guess that the higher ups figured this is why the Navy can't have nice things.

I'm surprised that with the push to make all the old things new again, they didn't bring back the old system of punishments like keel hauling, or a taste of the cat.

The Navy is in a sad state of affairs if alcohol consumption aboard ships underway is the only thing holding it together.

Stacked said:
The Navy is over. :salute:

Its funny you say that, my FB and twitter feeds are filled with fellow matelots decrying the move and saying they are done, time to VR.

It will be interesting see if, in 6 months time from now, it actually had an effect on retention or if it was just a knee-jerk reaction in response to a knee-jerk reaction.

I wonder if soup at 10 and free lunch is going to disappear too ?

PuckChaser said:
The Navy is in a sad state of affairs if alcohol consumption aboard ships underway is the only thing holding it together.

No but just one more thing to be pissed off at. I generally don't drink at sea and but I would like the option to have a beer with my meal if I so choose. I can't see what raising bar prices alongside is going to do to curb consumption, people will pay the money and lots of profits will be made.

Halifax Tar said:
Its funny you say that, my FB and twitter feeds are filled with fellow matelots decrying the move and saying they are done, time to VR.

It will be interesting see if, in 6 months time from now, it actually had an effect on retention or if it was just a knee-jerk reaction in response to a knee-jerk reaction.

I wonder if soup at 10 and free lunch is going to disappear too ?

No but free meals at lunch is being looked at.

Chief Stoker said:
No but just one more thing to be pissed off at. I generally don't drink at sea and but I would like the option to have a beer with my meal if I so choose. I can't see what raising bar prices alongside is going to do to curb consumption, people will pay the money and lots of profits will be made.

The Army did away with beer with meals in the mid '70's.  Would this indicate that the Navy is five decades behind/ ?

George Wallace said:
The Army did away with beer with meals in the mid '70's.  Would this indicate that the Navy is five decades behind/

George not with all meals, just with my steak and lobster on Thursday's. ;D

Chief Stoker said:
Maybe, maybe not.  There might be some unintended consequences in foreign ports where sailors who might have stayed on board to drink for the prices and safety etc will instead perhaps go ashore and get into who knows what as the Yanks find whenever they hit port.  Or who knows what else might crop up to take the place of a wet or two?  The Brass might rue this day down the road somewhere.

Chief Stoker said:
George not with all meals, just with my steak and lobster on Thursday's. ;D

That's OK.  ;D

Not too many here remember the beer machines we used to have in the Mess Halls, so you won't hear many complaints from the Army side.  The Rum Ration is such a rarity these days, many haven't seen it either (Just those crusty old Sgt Majors  >:D ). 

I have seen more problems (alcohol abuse) crop up with the restricting of alcohol, than when regulations held personnel responsible for their actions and did not treat them like little children.

George Wallace said:
That's OK.  ;D

Not too many here remember the beer machines we used to have in the Mess Halls, so you won't hear many complaints from the Army side.  The Rum Ration is such a rarity these days, many haven't seen it either (Just those crusty old Sgt Majors  >:D ). 

I have seen more problems (alcohol abuse) crop up with the restricting of alcohol, than when regulations held personnel responsible for their actions and did not treat them like little children.

Honestly George, I think the total ban at sea will increase instances of binge drinking as seen in other dry navies. The problem here is the lack of leadership and looking after ones winger to keep him out of the sh*t. I think we lost that and this is the result.

Back