• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Really Cool Fitness Initiative

Hey, I even know a certain civi who would volunteer.........

Well, I am sure it would be fun to do and watch, not sure if it would work though.

Let's put this whole Reserve PT issue into perspective here, if I may.

My unit is currently doing the workup trng (for 5 weeks) for the BFT.  Our CO ( a Reg Frce Cmbt Arms type) has not made it mandatory, for either Reg Frce or Class B folks.  He could have.  He didn't.  Why?  I don't know, it hurts my head when I try to understand it.  

So the ones out there are the ones that think EVERYONE should be doing it, while the lamo's are back in the HQ drinking coffee and jawing off.   ::)

Problem????  

The whole thing always goes back to this liability issue.  I am not sure when this came up.  I was looking at my UER, and noticed this entry on one of my CF 743Bs

"FMC Fitness Test (Passed) 08 Oct 92.  I was curious so went back in time, and yup, that was a Thursday.  We came in on a normal training night, rucked up, and did the FMC Fitness Test in then CFB Summerside.  

I don't remember anyone dieing.  I do remember the less fit folks who didn't make it to training that night for some reason.

I don't know if there is, was or ever will be the DS Solution to the Reserve PT issue.

Reference the extra money, I am going to ask about this at work, stuff like that you usually hear about at the HQ.  

paracowboy said:
Hey, Reservists, would this work? Just run a PT test every month. Something basic and simple, like the Para PT test. You pass, you get this extra money that's getting tossed around. You fail, you get beasted for an hour. And it's mandatory. Everybody in the unit has to do it once a month.

To make sure it's not being played with, it gets run by Reg Force pers. There would be volunteers. That I can guarantee. A chance to laugh at fatties, and beast people? There'd be volunteers.

+1
All this is speculation of course as some poster appeared and vaguely said "my CO is giving me pay at home for PT" or words to that effect.Lets get verification

I get to see the armoured school do PT this week during the AFM and 13km.I'm dying with the flu and cant wait to kick the crap out of some of those people.I see my share of fatties here,hence why I'm trying to vacate the premises.

Current policy is that there will be NO PT on weekend courses (ie. BMQ) or courses of less than a certain time frame (particulars of which I am uncertain but can state that courses that are less than one week definitely do not have PT).

It is policy that PT WILL NOT be done.  Trust me, I asked.  My section practically begged but our course officer said no, contrary to his wishes but consistent with his orders.

scoutfinch said:
Current policy is that there will be NO PT on weekend courses (ie. BMQ) or courses of less than a certain time frame (particulars of which I am uncertain but can state that courses that are less than one week definitely do not have PT).

It is policy that PT WILL NOT be done.  Trust me, I asked.  My section practically begged but our course officer said no, contrary to his wishes but consistent with his orders.
somebody call Rick. Does he know about this?

This is right up there with men wearing paternal combats....

I will start my webpage of fatties yet...

Well, I have never seen this policy in writing.  Oddly, I don't know of anyone who actually has seen this policy, but it apparantly exists.

I remember SLC in Gagetown.  No PT on the course.  Reason?  "There is no time".

My 6B in Wainwright.  No PT.  Reason? "The schedule is too crammed".

Things got to change.  That I do know.

How?  That I do not know.  First off, get rid of this "Resevists will break if they do PT" policy.

Same consequences for all CF members for failing the EXPRES test.  BFT becomes mandatory for all Reg/Res Class B in Army/CLS units.  Coverage for Reservists that are on PT that has been authorized by the CoC?  Something has to change, we are tieing our own friggin' hands here.  

As another note on COs encouraging PT within Regiment, the CO for the Regiment I parade with is working on implementing a sports night once a week, costs are covered to rent equipment and we the troops get together to have some good fun and PT. No extra pay given to us but allot of people are looking forward to starting the program, and why not?

I think that the idea is great but wait for it to come to a screeching halt as soon as someone is injured and their civilian disability insurer refuses a lost wage claim because they were on military duty.

Then your CO has a big problem on his hands.

paracowboy said:
Hey, Reservists, would this work? Just run a PT test every month. Something basic and simple, like the Para PT test. You pass, you get this extra money that's getting tossed around. You fail, you get beasted for an hour. And it's mandatory. Everybody in the unit has to do it once a month.

Before this degenerates into more Reg/Res pokey-chest, here's my desperate attempt to drag this thread back on topic:

Last year I planned and executed a fitness challenge for my Company.  I conducted a modified Cooper's Test (no bench press) on a training night.  It took about an hour.  Thinking it was a one-shot deal, the troops put forth maximal effort.  Then, once done, I announced that the troops would be re-tested in 12 weeks AND that the Regimental association had donated a number of cool prizes for the most improved in each category.  Then I gave each soldier access to the Army Fitness Manual and some very fit NCOs and turned them loose.

As an added incentive, in order to qualify for these prizes (GPS, fighting/field knives etc.), no matter how good your improvement, I tied attendance at two major exercises to eligibility.  In the event of a tie in any one category, my tie-breaker would be overall attendance based on my parade states.

Every single soldier improved, some by an impressive amount.  How much did it cost the unit?  Nada.

This spring I will do it again.  However, in order to initially qualify, your scores must be at least equal to your closing results last year.

If anyone wants more details, PM me and I will provide them.

Haggis said:
Before this degenerates into more Reg/Res pokey-chest,
I don't do that. You should know that by now. I've handed out smackin's to people on this site for doing it. Both Components. I'm an equal-opportunity ass-kicker.

It's a question. Would it work? I have no idea how things work in the Reserve world, remember? You had to school me on some stuff a few months ago. Also fitness-related. I asked about the viability of Armouries purchasing their own fitness equipment.

paracowboy said:
Also fitness-related. I asked about the viability of Armouries purchasing their own fitness equipment.

There are provisions for this in the budget process, "vote 5 funds", IIRC. The Irish bought big whack of pugil stick eqpt a few years back, helmets, gloves, sticks, chest protectors, jocks, mats... excellent training! All it takes is some planning and effort.

Haggis said:
Last year I planned and executed a fitness challenge for my Company.  I conducted a .  Every single soldier improved, some by an impressive amount.  How much did it cost the unit?  Nada.

This is clearly showing the benefit of having senior NCO's who are fitness orientated.The problem stems at your level and shadders anything below it.Unfortunately in many units this is the case.I have been fortunate to have a few snr NCO' who actually gave a care about the army,and their subordinates.And I have benefited tremendously.

We also did the modified coopers test as I have mentioned before.Problem being we knew we would be tested each month.And I will not confirm or deny that our senior people told us "not to push it too hard the first time" and "leave room for improvement so the CO will be happy with results."

As I alluded to prior its all about humanity.(I put on 6 pounds of FAT during 10 wkpig out/drinking enjoying my life leave parental leave and am kicking my ass around the block now.Although I still worked out it could not cut the copious amounts of deep fried toast etc that my mother insisted I ate due to looking starved.

Haggis:I will be interested in seeing where these troop stand now compared to their previous year (if they retained) and where they stand at the end of this year.

And lets face it some regular guys will bitch and complain about res class A not doing PT when a large number of reg and class b guys visit the gym as regularly as a crewman passes up dessert in the hide.It isn't a reserve problem its a army problem.

COBRA-6 said:
There are provisions for this in the budget process, "vote 5 funds", IIRC.
that's what Haggis explained to me, as well. But, he said that most times, the money gets spent on hockey sticks and such, as opposed to dumbells, kettlebells, or other such thingies.

paracowboy said:
that's what Haggis explained to me, as well. But, he said that most times, the money gets spent on hockey sticks and such, as opposed to dumbells, kettlebells, or other such thingies.

I was recently introduced to these by a kettlebell instructor, incredibly versatile and effective! Plus they don't take up an entire room...

paracowboy said:
I don't do that. You should know that by now.

I wasn't singling you out specifically, Para, your post just gave me a good segue into mine.

(Yes, I "used" you.  Was it good? :p)

paracowboy said:

The best PT kit the Army issued is a ruck, boots and an NCO to show you how they work together.

in most cases you can achieve the same aim with dumbells, if you don't have kettlebells available. A chunk of metal weighing 'x' pounds is still a chunk of metal weighing 'x' pounds, no matter the shape. But, people get caught up in the idea of "well this is a kettlebell workout" or "dumbells are for bodybuilding". It's mostly perspective.

You see a guy doing whatever with dumbells in a picture, that's what you assume they're for, same with kettlebells.

Haggis said:
(Yes, I "used" you.  Was it good? :p)
I've had worse. Don't get a swelled head or anything, but you weren't the worst I've had. Or been had by, as the case may be.

Seeming this girl who originally posted seems to be from the west nova scotia regiment in Aldershot,maybe someone else from the unit can shine light on the topic?If its even true.

Maybe I'll give up working out and claim my Inuit blood has me fattening up for the cold months and Ill be slim by spring.

Back