• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RECENTLY TOOK THE CFAT

Wonderbread said:
FAIL!

I'm not any sort of mathemagician, but I was able to figure it out without using "X" or any other sort of ****ed up book learning.

4 parts plus 5 parts is 9 parts total.

27 divided by 9 is 3

3 times 5 is 15

Therefore there are 15 Soldiers.

Find X? Whatever. You guys did it the hard way.  And I failed math. Twice. ;)

Eh I reversed it on here, just a typo. Didn't notice that till now ha. But I think everyone catches the drift,  its not a brainbasher of a question or anything.

Math is an artform, there are lots of potential ways to solve solutions, some more direct or systematic than others.

Obviously BEDMAS and Ratios are fairly standard, and I think from most of the practice questions I've seen, most of the math is dealt with under GED level,  highschool math, no real suprises. I've taken a handful of math courses at different levels in highschool and they all should cover it at I would geuss a grade 10 level, maybe grade 11, if that.

When looking at this question I had the following enter my mind.

What are two roughly divisive portions
Sailor Soilder

4/5: 1

half of 27 is 13.5

so the closest non equal ratio is 14 and 13.

However I knew that 13:14 is not equal to 4/5:1

the next nearest set is 12 :15 which is 4/5 :1 proportional equality

just basic spatial unit quantities, no need for math in that question just proportions.

high school math?  some of it was straight out of a grade 4 math workbook. 

** not meant to be condescending, but my son's 7th grade math workbook was a lot more advanced than the stuff on the test and looking back at his 4th grade workbook, it was all pretty much the same as what I saw on the test.  I studied from his workbooks grades 4,5,6 and 7.  Don't know how I feel about that.  :-\

Lil_T said:
high school math?  some of it was straight out of a grade 4 math workbook. 

** not meant to be condescending, but my son's 7th grade math workbook was a lot more advanced than the stuff on the test and looking back at his 4th grade workbook, it was all pretty much the same as what I saw on the test.  I studied from his workbooks grades 4,5,6 and 7.   Don't know how I feel about that.   :-\

While SOME of the questions I do not agree, most of it I'd say is close to that. Some of it takes a little problem solving or figuring out, regardless of how difficult the actual calculations are.

I think most of the questions could be figured out without any real math background. There were a few questions on the test that I didn't know the most direct "formula" to figure them out, so I just drew pictures and employed a bit of logic. I can't think of any questions on the math portion of the test that were difficult at all. I also think the numbers they gave to work with were very easy to divide/multiply with long-hand to get an exact answer. Didn't really see a need to round.

edit: I'm not saying don't study for the CFAT. I'm just saying that if you're naturally gifted in the area of Math/Science then this will be a breeze. If your strengths lie elsewhere then it would definately be a good idea to study. Junior high math covers the majority of the questions. Grade 10 definately covers it all. This only applies to the CFAT I wrote.

HeadLamp said:
I think most of the questions could be figured out without any real math background. There were a few questions on the test that I didn't know the most direct "formula" to figure them out, so I just drew pictures and employed a bit of logic. I can't think of any questions on the math portion of the test that were difficult at all. I also think the numbers they gave to work with were very easy to divide/multiply with long-hand to get an exact answer. Didn't really see a need to round.

Same. I did not use any formulas other then the easier stuff. The thing with multiple choice is you can do a rough estimate then pick the most similar answer to it.

just a quick comment regarding the CFAT for those about to take the all feared aptitude test..

Sure, some, well most say the CFAT is easy-peasy and the math is not hard...and to be honest, it isn't rocket science.
However, I did terrible on the math portion because math is my one mental weakness. If you have not applied math on a daily basis and do not comprehend the logic behind a grade 7-10 level problem solving question, then might I suggest not brushing up on your skills, but making damn sure you know how and what to do with the basics  and how to problem solve.

No matter how many times you read on this forum that the math is easy or it's hard, just remember it's a matter of perspective. If you're great at math, you'll find it easy. If it takes you a few minutes to figure out what change to give back to someone, you will find it a little difficult. I failed to meet the mathematical requirment for my original trade of choice. I felt a little dejected however I will tell you this:
as long as you know your sh!t, and are well rested, and ate a proper breakfast the test is nothing to worry about.
Just know your math and be CONFIDENT.
and no matter what, NO matter what, DO NOT feel like an idiot if you didn't make the cut. the worst that can happen is that you don't meet your trade qualifications, you study harder and try try try again.
Just because you don't comprehend math doesn't make you a dummy. You have other talents and strong points that mathematical wizards may lack...good luck!
that's my word

peace!

I will concur with what seagully said.  I know people who just can't deal with basic math.  They work with numbers and large sums of money on a daily basis and have even done audits of other people's work.  But when it comes to random equations it all flies out the window.  I definitely recommend studying for the test - even just to brush up on your math and vocabulary.  Pick up a couple workbooks at chapters while you're at it - should be in the homeschooling section.  The more practice the better.

SeaGully said:
just a quick comment regarding the CFAT for those about to take the all feared aptitude test..

Sure, some, well most say the CFAT is easy-peasy and the math is not hard...and to be honest, it isn't rocket science.
However, I did terrible on the math portion because math is my one mental weakness. If you have not applied math on a daily basis and do not comprehend the logic behind a grade 7-10 level problem solving question, then might I suggest not brushing up on your skills, but making damn sure you know how and what to do with the basics  and how to problem solve.

No matter how many times you read on this forum that the math is easy or it's hard, just remember it's a matter of perspective. If you're great at math, you'll find it easy. If it takes you a few minutes to figure out what change to give back to someone, you will find it a little difficult. I failed to meet the mathematical requirment for my original trade of choice. I felt a little dejected however I will tell you this:
as long as you know your sh!t, and are well rested, and ate a proper breakfast the test is nothing to worry about.
Just know your math and be CONFIDENT.
and no matter what, NO matter what, DO NOT feel like an idiot if you didn't make the cut. the worst that can happen is that you don't meet your trade qualifications, you study harder and try try try again.
Just because you don't comprehend math doesn't make you a dummy. You have other talents and strong points that mathematical wizards may lack...good luck!
that's my word

peace!

Thats completely true. It is probably just by luck that most of the people posting in this thread say they had good luck with the math portion. I know several people this year and prior who applied and had ill luck with the math portion (and they all had different academic backgrounds and capabilities). It is different for each person I'm sure.

My CFAT is on Feb, 3rd. I'm really bad at math, passed grade 10 but failed 11 miserably. Currently I'm freaking out about the test, after reading everyone posts, since i know that I'm not good at math. I originally applied to the Med field, however my recruiter advised me to change it to administration since its closer, do I need a high score for that?  ???

namal24 said:
my recruiter advised me to change it to administration since its closer

Closer to what?  ???

Don't freak out too much over the CFAT.  I failed grade 10 math, took the test (as it is now) many years later without any problems.

namal24 said:
My CFAT is on Feb, 3rd. I'm really bad at math, passed grade 10 but failed 11 miserably. Currently I'm freaking out about the test, after reading everyone posts, since i know that I'm not good at math. I originally applied to the Med field, however my recruiter advised me to change it to administration since its closer, do I need a high score for that?  ???

I'm curious what you mean by closer as well.  Don't sweat the CFAT.  See my advice 3 posts above.  Pick up a homeschooling math workbook *I used a grade 4 one for refresher*.  It works. 

Yeah, i think by reading everyone's posts on how hard it was and how they failed, just makes me a bit nervous.  ::)
Closer as in, since i don't have my own car i don't have to travel all the way to Toronto and rather stay in Brampton for work.
:)

I didn't find it that hard, did you do the practise test?  Seriously, get that grade 4 homeschooling pack - the math section has everything you need.  fractions, decimals, patterns, geometric nets (for spatial)  it helped me a lot.  as for verbal.. well... I don't know how you'd study for that... read the dictionary maybe.

Just did the test 1 week ago for the DEO marine system engineer, i missed it by 3 points. The Officer told me since i have a mechanical engineering degree in thermofluids and propulsion we can either retake the test another time or go forward with the application, but my file at some point will be referred to someone higher. I choose just to go forward, only 3 points and I'm currently accepted for a master in my university this fall. I got my medical appointment in 3 weeks and then the interview i guess. Hope things will go well for me

Hi Muskie,

I do not understand which DEO marine system engineer test you did!
Normally you should attend the one-week Naval Officer Assessment Board held each spring and fall in Halifax, NS or Victoria, BC.
During your NAOB you have to do an specific naval test and you can failed.
I think probably you did the electronic Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (eCFAT).

Could you confirm this?
I asking you because I applied for DEO Naval Combat Systems Engineering (NCS ENG).

Good luck at your master,

Dear Ballistics,

I apologize i was the CFAT test i missed 3 points for the trade, but Im going still forward with my application and not taking the test in 3 months. I have my medical soon followed by my interview and you are right i will have to attend NOAB and pass before Im enrolled.

Best of luck and hope to see you in NOAB.

Math is my biggest concern as well, as it is not my forte. Well, more like applied math I always had problems with, yet I can figure out and understand the theory easily enough. No matter what, I intend to study like crazy to get my math knowledge freshened up, especially as I haven't used it much since High School math.

The part I look forward to is the Spatial questions, as I really enjoyed them on the sample test on the website, as I tend to think more on visual and 3d terms.

it is not really that hard just don't waste time on any single question and the time limit is tight

Back