• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RECENTLY TOOK THE CFAT

DND1980

Inactive
Reaction score
I RECENTLY TOOK THE CFAT TEST. I TOOK THE PRACTICE TEST GIVEN BY THE RECRUITING OFFICER FIRST AND GOT 80%. I HAVE BEEN OUT OF SCHOOL FOR 8 YEARS NOW AND HAVE NOT TAKEN ANY SORT OF TESTS. WHEN I FINISHED THE TEST THE OFFICER TOLD ME THAT I PASSED BUT THAT I WAS BORDER LINE. I HAD A LOT OF TROUBLE WITH THE MATH WORD PROBLEMS. HE SAID THAT HE WOULD HAVE TO SEEK HIGHER APPROVAL FOR ME TO CONTINUE IN THE RECRUITING PROCESS. HE SAID THAT THIS COULD TAKE A WEEK OR MORE TO DO. I AM APPLYING AS A MUSICIAN. WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF CONTINUING? AND CAN I RETAKE THE TEST TO GET A BETTER SCORE?

Dude,

You do realize in this electronic world that capitalizing everything like that is tantamount to yelling at all and sundry here  ;).

As for redoing the CFAT, did you ask your recruiter?

MM

NO I DIDN'T ASK HIM I WAS JUST HOPING THAT THE CAPTAIN THAT TOLD ME THAT HE WOULD NEED APPROVAL WILL GET THE APPROVAL FOR ME TO CONTINUE. IF HE DOESN'T GET IT THEN I WILL ASK THEN I GUESS. I KNOW YOU CAN RETAKE THE TEST IF YOU FAIL BUT THE PROBLEM IS THAT I DIDN'T ACTUALLY FAIL SO I DON'T KNOW IF I WILL BE ABLE TO RETAKE IT. IF I CAN RETAKE NOT SURE IN WHAT AMOUNT OF TIME....FROM READING ON HERE A YEAR OR MORE...SOME SAY 5 YEARS AND AT MY AGE (28) THAT IS TOO LONG OF A WAIT

PLease do us a favour and tap the caps lock key once to make the letters small like the rest of us.

Cheers

I remember asking a similar question re: members retaking the CFAT a few years ago at the CFRC.

IIRC, the reply was that it could be arranged, but the staff cautioned me that, in the event you scored lower on it than your previous ones, that score would stand.  If you failed, it would be considered a fail, even if you passed it initially.  

My advice is:

1.  Wait and see what the recruiter comes back to you with.  You could very well get good news and carry on with the process.

2.  If you didn't qual for the Musician MOC on your CFAT scores, put some time and effort into what you know to be your weak areas and build your skill levels up, then redo the CFAT when you are prepared and ready.

Overall, at this point, don't panic.  The Officer/Recruiter did tell you that you PASSED.  

If they are seeking approval for you to continue in the processing then you didn't make the CFAT cutoff for your trade selection not because you are borderline although you may have been close to making the cutoff.  Yes you can rewrite the test after a certain waiting period.  Perhaps another discussion with the Captain is in order for further clarification.

I would go ahead and ask them if a rewrite is a possible option. If it is something you really want to do then you should take all measures possible to ensure your acceptance.

As long as you do not wait long and end up ruining the processing if it is already underway. I can not see it being much different then someone failing and rewriting it a month down the road. One of my friends was trying to go NCM Infantry and ended up failing about a month ago, he just went to rewrite the other day.

It would definitely improve your chances of being accepted you'd think.

Are you aware of the policy if he HAS to rewrite?  IIRC, there is a minimum 3 month wait.

Eye In The Sky said:
Are you aware of the policy if he HAS to rewrite?  IIRC, there is a minimum 3 month wait.

3 Months? It seems like my friend did it earlier then that. But maybe my own applications and work made the time progress quicker then I thought. ha.

I find this question stupid, even tho its easy.

10. How many soldiers are there in a group of 27 sailors and soldiers if there
are four fifths as many sailors as soldiers?

I showed it to my Math teacher and it took her forever to figure it out.
How many of these oddly worded questions where on the test?

CEEBEE501 said:

Is that an actual question on the CFAT? If so, I don't believe you are supposed to be publishing it.

CEEBEE501 said:

Thats actually very easy if you just count them out.

And to the post below I think is a CFAT Practice question

CEEBEE501 said:

Its not a question from the test. Its on publically available "practice tests" that they give out during recruiting and post on websites. I'm surprised your math teacher took "forever to figure it out"!!!! This is taught in introductory algebra (whenever its taught... circa grade 6)

oligarch said:
Its not a question from the test. Its on publically available "practice tests" that they give out during recruiting and post on websites. I'm surprised your math teacher took "forever to figure it out"!!!! This is taught in introductory algebra (whenever its taught... circa grade 6)

Proper Sol'n:
let x be the number of soldiers
since there are 4/5 as many sailors as soldiers, there are 4x/5 number of sailors

27 = x + ( 4x/5 )
27 = x + ( 1 + 4/5)
27 * 5 / 9 = x
x = 15 --> soldiers
4x/5 = 12 --> sailors
check: 12+15=27

I thought momentarily about taking a gazillion MilPoints for you for making my brain ingest that.  But my eyes didn't remain permanently crossed, so I decided against it.  :blotto:

CEEBEE501 said:
I find this question stupid,

::)

Yet one day, an instructor will say "left turn" and you will be the only one who turned right. Trust me, i know.

oligarch said:

Or, if you take my approach. Which I did in Math classes when teachers thought they had you stumped with big equations.. This makes this question ridiculously easy..

Since there is 4/5's as many soldiers..

4 Soldiers, 5 Sailors = 9
+ 4 Soldiers, 5 Sailors = 18
+ 4 Soldiers,  5 Sailors = 27

Thus,

12 Soldiers, 15 Sailors.
;)

Eye In The Sky said:
I thought momentarily about taking a gazillion MilPoints for you for making my brain ingest that.  But my eyes didn't remain permanently crossed, so I decided against it.   :blotto:

I actually decidded to remove it cuz i didnt know if i was allowed to post that... but basically u set up a variable for one required value and express the other value in terms of that variable... add them or subtract them to make them equal total value you need and solve for x! Then solve for the one you expressed in terms of x. But I guess its cool to post it now its still in the replies.

"You'll be the only one who turned right"
- Been there, done that =)))

oligarch said:
I actually decidded to remove it cuz i didnt know if i was allowed to post that... but basically u set up a variable for one required value and express the other value in terms of that variable... add them or subtract them to make them equal total value you need and solve for x! Then solve for the one you expressed in terms of x.

Being a practice question I doubt there is any problem to it.

oligarch said:
I actually decidded to remove it cuz i didnt know if i was allowed to post that... but basically u set up a variable for one required value and express the other value in terms of that variable... add them or subtract them to make them equal total value you need and solve for x! Then solve for the one you expressed in terms of x. But I guess its cool to post it now its still in the replies.

"You'll be the only one who turned right"
- Been there, done that =)))

Oh I know the mathematical side of it...but I am chillin' out after a night of studying for an exam last night, followed by the exam today, and was quite happy to come home and not "think" tonight....but you had to throw a rock in my pond.... >:D

Eye In The Sky said:
Oh I know the mathematical side of it...but I am chillin' out after a night of studying for an exam last night, followed by the exam today, and was quite happy to come home and not "think" tonight....but you had to throw a rock in my pond.... >:D

Actually I still managed to mess it up w/ a typo:

The right sol'n is actually this:
27 = x + ( 4x/5 )
27 = x * ( 1 + 4/5)
27 * 5 / 9 = x
x = 15 --> soldiers
4x/5 = 12 --> sailors
check: 12+15=27

Back