• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recipes

Okay let's do some Mexican...shall we
I had this last summer in PEI with a friend who was raised in the Southern states and it is more than worth the effort...

Pozole  Pork and Hominy Soup

1 kg pork shoulder, cut into large pieces
3 litres of water
2 x 500 g cans hominy or corn kernels, drained
2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp salt
2 c shredded cabbage, or 1/2 small cabbage shredded
8 spring onions, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and grated
2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
3 radishes, chopped
3 limes, cut into wedges
3 fresh hot red or green chillies, finely chopped
chili sauce, readymade or homemade

Place pork, water, hominy, onion and salt in a large, heavy based saucepan.  Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 -3 hours, or until the meat is tender.
Remove the pork from soup and cool. Shred meat.  Skim fat from the surface of cooled soup.
Return shredded meat to soup and reheat.
Serve cabbage, spring onions, carrots, tomatoes, radishes, chillies, limes and chili sauce in separate bowls for each person to serve themselves.
You can substitute 2 medium chickens or 1 small turkey for the pork

HL

So, does HotLips get her own section in the cookbook? or maybe we should build the sections around her so she has a recipe for each.  :D

Sssh...let her keep posting...this is good stuff...if it fills a section, all the better... ;)

She is on a mission.  Its best to let it play its course.  :blotto:

How about some drinks  ;D

Margarita

1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
coarse salt
1 1/2 Tbsp tequila
1 1/2 Tbsp curacao or Cointreau
1/2 c crushed ice

Moisten rim of serving glass with lime juice and dip in the salt.
Place tequila, curacao, remaining lime juice and ice in blender and blend until slushy.
Serve in prepared glass.

A variation is fruit Margaritas ( I like these they are good for you  ;D)

Add a combination of fresh fruit (strawberries, pineapple, mango or bananas) and blend with tequila, curacao, lime juice and ice.
When making fruit margaritas no need to rim the glass with salt and lime...although I have seem them rimmed with coarse sugar.

Enjoy

HL

I pared down this thread, mostly on the first page. I also removed the Betty Crocker recipes, who wants their brownies from a bag anyway?

Gimme more booze food.

Pina Colada

1/3 c coconut milk
1/3 c pineapple juice
1/3 c light white rum
2 Tbsp crushed ice
1 slice pineapple

Place all ingredients except pineapple in blender and blend until frothy
Pour into a chilled glass and garnish with pineapple.

HL

borrowed from the Mrs...........

Poached Salmon with Scallops:

salmon fillets (however many people you are going to feed)
white wine
dill weed

Poach the salmon fillets in the white wine and dill weed until done (flakes easily)

Meanwhile, saute scallops with a little minced garlic in butter

when the salmon is done, move to a plate, pour scallops over and sprinkle with sliced green opnion

Adjust the quantities according the number of people being fed!   Best enjoyed with a nice white wine!!

Hot Lips said:
Pina Colada

1/3 c coconut milk
1/3 c pineapple juice
1/3 c light white rum
2 Tbsp crushed ice
1 slice pineapple

Place all ingredients except pineapple in blender and blend until frothy
Pour into a chilled glass and garnish with pineapple.
HL

Not a lot of palm trees here....other than the vision of me cracking open a coconut with a dull hatchet...is coconut milk available any other way?

GAP said:
Not a lot of palm trees here....other than the vision of me cracking open a coconut with a dull hatchet...is coconut milk available any other way?
LMAO...
Thanks Mich...you beat me too it

HL

more yummy ideas from the east coast

Mussels:

Bring water, white wine, minced garlic, butter to a boil. Quantity depends on amount of mussels.   There should only be a few inches in the bottom of the pot.

Add mussels and steam for just a few minutes, giving a stir after a couple of minutes..   Strain and put mussels in a bowl for everyone to enjoy!

Best enjoyed with good company  and beverage of choice!

GAP said:

navymich said:
Coconut milk comes canned, like condensed milk and such.

Go look in the oriental cooking section of your supermarket. Should be right near the canned water chestnuts ;D :salute:

navymich said:
Coconut milk comes canned, like condensed milk and such.

oh... :-[  (I think I had better mention that at the bottom of the recipe, there's lots out there like me)

Tequila Sunrise aka Tijuana tequila del sol

2 tsp grenadine
2 Tbsp crushed ice
1 1/2 Tbsp tequila
3 Tbsp orange juice
soda water

Pour grenadine over crushed ice in a tall chilled glass.
Combine tequila and OJ, pour over grenadine and then top with soda water.

HL

Lemon Chicken

3-4 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast

1/2 Cup Lemon Juice

1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil

2-3 Cloves of Garlic

Tobascco Sauce(tm)

Salt

Pepper

In a large bowl combine oil and lemon juice and thinly sliced garlic cloves (the thinner you cut the garlic the more flavor gets into the marinade) Add Tobasco sauce to taste( 4-5 drops for me) add a dash salt and pepper then add your chicken breasts. Let stand covered with saran warp(tm) for 1 hour (more is better) Remove Chicken and Grill, Fry or BBQ.

GAP said:
oh... :-[  (I think I had better mention that at the bottom of the recipe, there's lots out there like me)
We can't all know and be great at everything :)

HL

Simple Avocado Dip aka Guacamole

3 large ripe avocados, stoned and peeled
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 hot red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
1/3 c lemon juice
dash Tabasco sauce
I Tbsp chopped fresh coriander

Mash avocados with a fork. Add remaining ingredients, season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and salt and mix well to combine.
Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve with tortilla chips.

HL

Back