• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

I suspect that's a ResF issue, and if there is will to do it, something else will likely need to be cut.
It isn’t. Money for pay is not the issue. All class B creation and requests go to Div. They approve and they deny.
100% it's a RegF issue, we have too many administrivia jobs, and can't do them all with RegF people.
Right. So now you understand the same applies to the ARES. Only we don’t have a reserve to fall back on. We are the reserve. And we aren’t funded or more specifically equipped the way we should be.
The location of CFLRS also screws the RegF. Most anglophones don't want to move their anglophone families to Quebec, to pay higher taxes, not have employment opportunities for spouses, and work longer hours... You couldn't intentionally make it a worse place to get posted.
Location will always be an issue for a lot of things. The CAF would do well to modernise in that regard.

It isn’t. Money for pay is not the issue. All class B creation and requests go to Div. They approve and they deny.

Right. So now you understand the same applies to the ARES. Only we don’t have a reserve to fall back on. We are the reserve. And we aren’t funded or more specifically equipped the way we should be.
Again, my point isn't that the ResF is fine, my point is that the RegF is just as screwed, and the RegF is the priority.

I'd love to be in an ideal CAF with a strong RegF and ResF, but the reality is both are failing, and one is a higher GoC/CAF priority.

Location will always be an issue for a lot of things. The CAF would do well to modernise in that regard.
The only real way to "modernize" out of the CFLRS problem is to move the school. Since the school being where it is was a political decision, there is little chance it will change.

Again, my point isn't that the ResF is fine, my point is that the RegF is just as screwed, and the RegF is the priority.
And that is fine. But a lot of people seem to be under the mistaken impression that the ResF has the tools to fix itself. And that everything is somehow self inflicted when it’s not the case.
I'd love to be in an ideal CAF with a strong RegF and ResF, but the reality is both are failing, and one is a higher GoC/CAF priority.
There is an easy fix if the will to really do reconstitution was there. But I don’t think it is there so any discussion on that is moot.
The only real way to "modernize" out of the CFLRS problem is to move the school. Since the school being where it is was a political decision, there is little chance it will change.
I think they’ve decentralized some. It’s actually not a bad location. Montreal is actually very bilingual and in proximity. A major airport nearby. But I agree with you. But maybe not move the school. Open a few more. Or find a way to to mix basic with occupational training for some trades.

The location of CFLRS also screws the RegF. Most anglophones don't want to move their anglophone families to Quebec, to pay higher taxes, not have employment opportunities for spouses, and work longer hours... You couldn't intentionally make it a worse place to get posted.
Bagotville would like a word.

Also, St-Jean is about 45 mins from Montreal. Granted, housing is an issue but spousal employment opportunities would be higher there than many CAF bases.

I think they’ve decentralized some. It’s actually not a bad location. Montreal is actually very bilingual and in proximity. A major airport nearby. But I agree with you. But maybe not move the school. Open a few more. Or find a way to to mix basic with occupational training for some trades.

Also, St-Jean is about 45 mins from Montreal. Granted, housing is an issue but spousal employment opportunities would be higher there than many CAF bases.
Don't get me wrong, I think St-Jean is a nice part of the country, but I also don't have a wife and kids who don't speak French. I can absorb the cost of a posting to a high income tax province, but I wouldn't like it, and likely wouldn't.

Don't get me wrong, I think St-Jean is a nice part of the country, but I also don't have a wife and kids who don't speak French. I can absorb the cost of a posting to a high income tax province, but I wouldn't like it, and likely wouldn't.

We should decentralize our basic training once and for all.

Getting people (Anglos) to St Jean is definitely a task.

We should decentralize our basic training once and for all.

Getting people (Anglos) to St Jean is definitely a task.
Good point. In the olden days there was CFRS Cornwallis and St Jean.

Perhaps a Maritime facility, PQ one (St Jean) Ontario and Western Canada - maybe Shilo..... :devilish:

Good point. In the olden days there was CFRS Cornwallis and St Jean.

Perhaps a Maritime facility, PQ one (St Jean) Ontario and Western Canada - maybe Shilo..... :devilish:

I set one in Halifax (RCN), Borden (RCAF) and Gagetown ? (Army).

I would say go back to the old but modernised ''depot''. One or two main per Div and a couple of satellite once. Let them walk outside not a Mega building full of virus. Let the RCN and the RCAF start them on day with the element's flavor. Keep the same commun training.

Why should CAF members have to take a hit to disposable income because they are forced to move to provinces like QC or NS as examples?

There was talk about putting the RPAS GCS in Bagotville at one point. All the sensor operators I knew who were considering going to that platform then said “nope”.

I’ve said for years, federal employees who are moved at government direction should all pay the same baseline tax amount.

Why should CAF members have to take a hit to disposable income because they are forced to move to provinces like QC or NS as examples?

There was talk about putting the RPAS GCS in Bagotville at one point. All the sensor operators I knew who were considering going to that platform then said “nope”.

I’ve said for years, federal employees who are moved at government direction should all pay the same baseline tax amount.

There was talk a while back as part of the journey program to do exactly that. We all pay the same level of income tax, I think rate was supposed to Ont, but not 100%.

There was talk of us getting a national drivers license and plates as well so we wouldn't have to switch those around on postings.

Dundurn buildings, built in the 1930's have been torn down I believe. No Heritage consideration.

There was talk a while back as part of the journey program to do exactly that. We all pay the same level of income tax, I think rate was supposed to Ont, but not 100%.

There was talk of us getting a national drivers license and plates as well so we wouldn't have to switch those around on postings.

It was replaced with CFHD! 😂

Back