• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Redress of Grievance – Mega thread [MERGED]

Just a quick question. I won't get into details, but I've heard so many different responses on this that I thought I'd ask if anyone had any references or experience with this.

Can you grieve an out of sequence PDR? I have read the QR&O's take on it, and from what I'm understanding, you can grieve anything that is administrative, not just PER's.

I don't know the grievance process, as the QR&O doesn't get into that, and my SO's don't have anything. I can answer pm's with more information, but as a generality, I would like to know if anyone's dealt with this before.  Thank you so much for your time and attention.

Sparkplugs said:
Can you grieve an out of sequence PDR? I have read the QR&O's take on it, and from what I'm understanding, you can grieve anything that is administrative, not just PER's.

You can grieve PERs.

What do you mean out of sequence PDR?

I would suggest reading the DAOD DAOD 2017-0, Military Grievances http://www.admfincs-smafinsm.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/2000/2017-0-eng.asp

Grievance site  www.cfga.forces.gc.ca/gri-pla/index-eng.asp

I've seen "out of sequence PDRs" for specific exercises or tasks.  For example when we went on Ex Spartan bear 2 and down to California we wrote up "Out of sequence PDRs" for the soldiers to put on their file (but didn't count towards the reporting period ones)

Sparkplugs said:
Just a quick question. I won't get into details, but I've heard so many different responses on this that I thought I'd ask if anyone had any references or experience with this.

I don't know the grievance process, as the QR&O doesn't get into that, and my SO's don't have anything. I can answer pm's with more information, but as a generality, I would like to know if anyone's dealt with this before.  Thank you so much for your time and attention.

By the time the grievance has been resolved, the PDR will no longer be relevant.

ObedientiaZelum said:
I've seen "out of sequence PDRs" for specific exercises or tasks.  For example when we went on Ex Spartan bear 2 and down to California we wrote up "Out of sequence PDRs" for the soldiers to put on their file (but didn't count towards the reporting period ones)

What?  I am still not understanding the terminology.  So you wrote an exercise PDR then right?  Then you wrote a regular quarterly PDR later on.  That is pretty normal at least in my experience.  How is it out of sequence and where does that term even come from?  A PDR is a PDR period.  CFPAS is not opening for me but IIRC really there is no upper limit on the amount that can be given out in a year (although time wasted writing more than 2-3 is a big consideration).

Sparkplugs said:
Can you grieve an out of sequence PDR?
This term "out of sequence" seems to be generating a lot of angst.  I too do not understand what you intend to say.

Regardless, you can always grieve the content of a PDR.  Your chances of seeing success on this route would be dependent on your ability to prove error in the PDR narrative.

You can also grieve that a PDR was written when you feel it aught not to have been.  However, I cannot think of an argument based in policy that would see the grievance being upheld by either the initial or final authority.

More clarity in your question may facilitate a better answer.

Shamrock said:
By the time the grievance has been resolved, the PDR will no longer be relevant.
That is not a certainty.  If the IA is sticking to required timelines, a decision should be reached before the PDR can influence this year's PER.

MCG said:
This term "out of sequence" seems to be generating a lot of angst.  I too do not understand what you intend to say.

Regardless, you can always grieve the content of a PDR.  Your chances of seeing success on this route would be dependent on your ability to prove error in the PDR narrative.

You can also grieve that a PDR was written when you feel it aught not to have been.  However, I cannot think of an argument based in policy that would see the grievance being upheld by either the initial or final authority.

More clarity in your question may facilitate a better answer.

Sorry for the confusion. Perhaps corrective PDR would have been a better term.

Basically, I was accused of missing a mandatory function, and a corrective PDR was written to that effect. I was on leave when all of the information about this function came about, and I was on course and not on the DIN the day I came back from leave, which was also the day of the function. I never received a phonecall to let me know about the function, so I feel that a PDR to correct my 'negligence' was written in error, as I cannot possibly attend a function that I am not aware of. I am happy to call my phone company to have the phone log sent to my OR, to clear my name. I am being told that I cannot grieve a PDR, because they've never heard of anyone doing it before.

Sparkplugs said:

Basically, I was accused of missing a mandatory function, and a corrective PDR was written to that effect.

So in actuality Absent without Authority.

I was on leave when all of the information about this function came about, and I was on course and not on the DIN the day I came back from leave, which was also the day of the function. I never received a phonecall to let me know about the function, so I feel that a PDR to correct my 'negligence' was written in error, as I cannot possibly attend a function that I am not aware of. I am happy to call my phone company to have the phone log sent to my OR, to clear my name.

Your defence to the charge that should have been laid.

I am being told that I cannot grieve a PDR, because they've never heard of anyone doing it before.

Just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it can't be. You can grieve anything where you feel you've been unjustly treated.

PDRs are not a substitute for the Code of Service Discipline. If your unit felt that strongly about the issue, they should have laid a charge. You would have beaten it IMHO, but that's beside the point now.

Sparkplugs said:

Basically, I was accused of missing a mandatory function, and a corrective PDR was written to that effect. I was on leave when all of the information about this function came about, and I was on course and not on the DIN the day I came back from leave, which was also the day of the function. I never received a phonecall to let me know about the function, so I feel that a PDR to correct my 'negligence' was written in error, as I cannot possibly attend a function that I am not aware of. I am happy to call my phone company to have the phone log sent to my OR, to clear my name. I am being told that I cannot grieve a PDR, because they've never heard of anyone doing it before.

That clears it up.  Your CoC is retarded.  Uggh I mean they probably handled in a manner that not many units would utilize.

PDRs are grieveable.  I would approach your CoC to try and clear it up before going that route.  If you get no joy utilize the intent to redress form that goes to your CO.  Often this can make your higher CoC aware of the problem and it can be cleared up before going the formal route.  If you still get no luck do a proper redress and await a decision.

What he said.  Write a memo to your CO asking to have the PDR removed as it was unfairly administered, and cite your reasons as to why.

Based on the clarification, and as others have stated, you can use the redress of grievance process for this concern.  If the facts as are you presented them, then you have a very good chance of success.

Trying to figure out why a PDR was written and not an IC...but I think MJP put it rather succinctly.

MM

medicineman said:
Trying to figure out why a PDR was written and not an IC...but I think MJP put it rather succinctly.

MM

I was told an IC would be the next step if I "didn't keep my nose clean."

Thank you all so much for your information and advice, it's all good stuff and I'll definitely be able to make use of it. I appreciate all of your efforts.

Back