• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Redress of Grievance – Mega thread [MERGED]

Tcm621 said:
I knew a guy who got prompted on his first PER in Rank.

I know two but both are special cases... Both were OTs who had MOI PERs in their previous trades.

D3 said:
I know two but both are special cases... Both were OTs who had MOI PERs in their previous trades.

That's not supposed to happen.  On OT, one's PERs are not supposed to be going to the merit boards for the first two years, making one ineligible for promotion.

Occam said:
That's not supposed to happen.  On OT, one's PERs are not supposed to be going to the merit boards for the first two years, making one ineligible for promotion.

And I don't see anything in the rulebook about your EPZ resetting when you OT, just that you may have to take a reduction in rank to Cpl (or Capt for officer OT's).

When I OT'd, I became trades qualified in December, first PER as a Corporal in trade in April, went to the merit board in September, and appointed Master Corporal the following January. 13 working months as a Corporal in my new trade.

It happens.

Ostrozac said:
And I don't see anything in the rulebook about your EPZ resetting when you OT, just that you may have to take a reduction in rank to Cpl (or Capt for officer OT's).

When I OT'd, I became trades qualified in December, first PER as a Corporal in trade in April, went to the merit board in September, and appointed Master Corporal the following January. 13 working months as a Corporal in my new trade.

It happens.

I didn't say your EPZ resets.  I said your PERs are prevented from going to the merit board, regardless of whether the electronic selection board spits them out or not.

Nobody, but nobody should be getting a merit-based promotion based on three months observation in a brand new trade.  That's ludicrous, and it's not supposed to happen.

Read the CFPAS handbook, use it and apply it to your situation. Then go speak with your supervisor with your case, along with any documentation you may have. If it comes to a redress and you have a valid case it may go your way. Then again it may not. Because you see things one way does not necessarily mean others will see it the same way. But be prepared to stand your ground, I have seen people dissuaded from submitting a redress as it may make a supervisor look bad. Your redress will go to your CO and they will make the decision based on evidence from both sides.
The system is actually pretty good. What happens, from my experience, is that the people implementing the system like to do things that do not follow the CFPAS guide. Such as not giving someone an immediate PER just because it is their first one in rank. Even though they have the potential to do the job of a higher rank. Another is the PER "Monitoring Board". This ends up being nothing but a ranking board. How can you fairly write someone up when you are told before hand where they rank among their peers? This has been one of my pet peeves for years. Your writing PER's for subordinates and then your told. "No that is too high/low a score they need this dot there so they will rank # whatever".
Good luck and the more proof you have the better your chances are you will get what you think you deserve.
:salute:

Great info in this thread.  Sometimes the redress is the best solution (especially if well written and substantiated/documented), but patience....my 2010/11 PER grievance is still in review at the FA.  I decided to ignore the IA's denial and go with FA review as the IA failed to disclose anything to me before making his decision; used verbal inputs as justification; and did not acknowledge any of my inputs.  But he did reply within 60 days.  Bless his cotton socks.

I've heard that there is a grievance hotline that people , people can call if they have questions.  I was wondering if anyone knows this number since I'm having trouble finding it, if there is one.

Thanks!

I have my grievance ready, I'm just wondering who to hand it into. It's a bit complicated since I am not comfortable handing it into the Capt since I feel she is influenced by others.

Sorry, I JUST found it.  Trust me I was looking for quite a while. I hate that I just answered my own question with in minutes of posting my question.  I think I'm just ready to have this done.  My ducks are in a row all nice and pretty and ready to be handed in.

I'll post it here and if anyone else is looking on this site it will be here.

Grievance Operations Clerk by commercial phone: (613) 995-1901.

For all other inquiries contact us:

By Mail: Director General Canadian Forces Grievance Authority
National Defence Headquarters
Major-General George R. Pearkes Building
101 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
K1A 0K2
By Telephone: Toll Free: 1-866-GRIEVOR (1-866-474-3867)
Direct line: 613-944-5549
By Fax: Direct line: 613-996-3586

I know they will all see it, I'm just afraid of it sitting on his desk longer then it has to and slow things down. 

Sunnyns said:
I know they will all see it, I'm just afraid of it sitting on his desk longer then it has to and slow things down.

The site on the DWAN has a section called "I am a Grievor...."  It will have all the information you need.  Once you submit the grievance, there are certain "timelines" that need to be met.  It always goes through your CoC, as they need to determine just who the IA (Initial Authority) is, once that is determined, then the ball starts rolling......

Good luck.....

Handing it into the Capt, I'd like to put it on a 728.  Do you think this would be viewed as insulting?

Sunnyns said:
Handing it into the Capt, I'd like to put it on a 728.  Do you think this would be viewed as insulting?
It is due diligence to CYA and keep good recordkeeping.  Use a 728 and you will have a record of when and where it went, if you feel it is necessary.

Sunnyns said:

Some people may take offence but as long as you keep copies and go through your CoC during the process, you should be okay.

You are getting good advice here. I would add that you put the grievance away for a day or so, then re-read it. Is the emotion removed?  Did you stick to the facts and are they well explained and supported?  Do you state why you are aggrieved and what you seek as redress?  Facts and evidence win the day most every time. And your chain of command cannot take offence to a factual, polite grievance. Finally, resolution takes time depending on the IA so be patient.

Good luck. 

I've been working on it for 3 months and I have all my I's dotted and my t's crossed.  I feel comfortable with it.  My sister has written quite a few for others so she's helped me a lot on it.  The 728 kind of worried me since everyone can take it a different way but what she pointed out to me was if I sent them the grievance in a PDF as well as a hard copy then that would also act as a date stamp and there would be no need for a 728.  She said it would come across as considerate since a lot of people also like electronic copies as well. 

There is great advice on this site, I've passed the address on to others.

Here is the official site, just in case you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.cfga-agfc.forces.gc.ca/index-eng.asp

Plenty of valuable information.

I am aware of the DOAD 2017 but I am dealing with a situation where the paperwork seems to disappear in a blackhole in my CoC.

I have searched for any other policy or documentation in addition to the DOADs but am unable to find anything else. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The situation is...

The documentation for a Grievance has been 'misplaced'. What are the means to either ensure that the proper authority is aware or to ensure that the Grievance is not just disappearing into a blackhole?

Oh and this is the second time this paperwork has been 'misplaced'.

Back