• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

REG VS RES NCM INF PAY

Nobody can quantify an individual's situation down to the dime.

A smart rule of thumb is to never include allowances (Field pay, SDA, PLD ect...) into your base pay.
Too often new sailors do so when applying for loans and when the reason for the allowances cease,
they are still left paying for the loans.

Other items from your demands have not been mentioned either:
- PRes: Income- PILL 9% vs annual leave (2 days for every 30 worked)
- PRes: Income - Random potential for GD or extra drill and work parties
- PRes: Expense - PSCHCP personal (and/or family) and PRes dental plan.

kratz said:
A smart rule of thumb is to never include allowances (Field pay, SDA, PLD ect...) into your base pay.
Too often new sailors do so when applying for loans and when the reason for the allowances cease,
they are still left paying for the loans.

Right on. Regarding the allowances to qualify for loans, then falling short on absence of said allowance, though still liable for payments based on allowance income, this brings importance to very important financial mindfulness.

Such does in the same respect in this example:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Posted to Base X - Rations and Quarters $1.0
[*]Buy car at Base X with loan, on base pay only.
[*]Income - Base X R/Q($1.0) = disposable - car loan = Positive
[*]Relocated to Base Y - Rations and Quarters $2.0
[*]Income - Base Y R/Q($2.0) = disposable - car loan = Negative
[/list]
Obviously, we're in trouble here.

Now, my question is, what's the variance/range, low-high, one can expect to pay for rations and quarters across the country?
Are we talking a range from $1.00 - $600.00 or $500.00 - $4,000. Said differently, for a single soldier, new to the military, an REG NCM INF (PTE), posted anywhere across the country, what can he/she be expected to be paying in rations and quarters?

kratz said:
Nobody can quantify an individual's situation down to the dime.

As individuals, this holds merit in everything. I'm looking for the status quo here.

kratz said:
- PRes: Expense - PSCHCP personal (and/or family) and PRes dental plan.

Wait. Voluntary expense, right?

Yes. The PRes PSHCP and Dental plan are voluntary, but are variables that affect individual net pay.

Lol!! This is quite interesting... my only question to expeditionary (which my have been answered here and I overlooked it) would be why are you attempting to "vet" semantics? At the beginning of this thread you broke down you monthly pay over three increments for both Reg and Res. You already know that your pay as a Res is 85% daily what a Reg force member comensurate to that rank. I would want the other 15%. When I joined, I did something similar as you. It looked like this:

Gotta pay for car
Gotta pay for beer
Gotta pay for smokes
Gotta get the hell away from family

Join Army.

BinRat55 said:
Gotta pay for car
Gotta get the hell away from family
Join Army.

Yup, I just got back from being away for a long time. It's been two days and I gotta get the hell away from family. Join Army sounds really good right now.

ASSUMPTIONS:
[list type=decimal]
[*]RANK STAYS AT PRIVATE FOR THREE (3) YEARS
[*]PAY INCREMENT LEVELS INCREASE YEARLY ON DATE OF ENROLLMENT[/list]
  • PROVINCIAL TAXES PAID IN ONTARIO
  • RES - PARADE ONE NIGHT WEEKLY - ONE WEEKEND(TWO DAYS) MONTHLY - 60 DAY COURSE SUMMER TIME
  • RES - WEEKLY PARADE PAY = HALF OF DAY RATE
  • RES - # OF PARADES - WEEKLY: 44 - Weekend: 10

Your methodology is flawed. Tax rates and cost of living swing drastically between provinces. Except in the broadest sense, trying to make cost comparison of between the Reg Force and Reserves without taking those costs into consideration is a waste of your time. Especially, considering you probably won't end up in Ontario (Only two of the Army's 9 Infantry Battalions are in Ontario). You have also failed to take into account the potential financial costs and benefits of moving. Which you will most certainly very early in your career.

Also take into consideration that as a Reserve the chances of a Class B in your first three years are slim. So, your annual will be significantly lower than a first year Reg force Pte... more money, higher tax bracket...

Ludoc said:
Tax rates and cost of living swing drastically between provinces.

Yes, though Ontario does hold an above-average tax rate and cost of living which would represent the high side of my expenditure.

Ludoc said:
You have also failed to take into account the potential financial costs and benefits of moving. Which you will most certainly very early in your career.

I don't have anything I need moved. I don't own anything of significant size or value.

BinRat55 said:
Also take into consideration that as a Reserve the chances of a Class B in your first three years are slim.

Noted. I wasn't interested in Class B.

BinRat55 said:
Reg force Pte... more money, higher tax bracket...

Yup, the tax bracket eat up is part of why I'm doing this. I'm finding out how much more is actuallygained (financially), REG vs RES.

Long story short forget the pennies.

If you want a full time job that pays your bills go reg force.

If you want a part time job that will pay some bills where you have to fight tooth and nail for jobs, against people with 10 15 or 20 years experience on you, tours to Afghanistan and the ability to write memos convincing the chain of command if they don't get X tasking (instead of you) their life will explode, join the reserves.

Jarnhamar said:

If you want a full time job that pays your bills go reg force.

If you want a part time job that will pay some bills where you have to fight tooth and nail for jobs, against people with 10 15 or 20 years experience on you, tours to Afghanistan and the ability to write memos convincing the chain of command if they don't get X tasking (instead of you) their life will explode, join the reserves.

Trust me joining the reserves with the hopes of working full time is basically the worst Idea ever ....

Been there , done that

And now I released and I am applying again for reg forces in April !

Jarnhamar said:

Yea, this is what's it's coming to. Whatever the pay will be, it'll be better than minimum wage.

krimynal said:
applying again for reg forces in April !

I think I'll join you on that!

expeditionary said:
Yea, this is what's it's coming to. Whatever the pay will be, it'll be better than minimum wage.
Good ol'green welfare.

Wow! I admire your tenacity trying to figure this all out. However, there are so many other things to consider too.

For example- the opportunities to advance, learn, lead and gain work experience can differ.  But in both res and reg you will add to your resume, learn resilience and flexibility, humour and team work.

Have you considered the pension amount at end of service?

My husband joined as a very young man, to get out of town, make some cash and SERVE others. He made terrible money at first and put miles on his car visiting his girlfriend back home ( me) . He bought a house, rented rooms to other corporals-  sold it. Bought a house, sold it, repeat at each posting. Lawyer and real estate fees paid. 4 tours with amazing danger pay. One IR posting back when it was a viable option financially. Today? Making better money than most of our civilian friends, living in a lake front home, paying for his son's university, and 26 years of pension coming his way soon. Not one week of unemployment. Oh and still married to me.

He hadn't planned any of that out. Not one bit of it. Happy? You bet!

Imagine! A divorce, a sick child, a catastrophic injury, a poor sale on a house, cancer -- all were the roll of the dice and out of my husband's control. How different would his finances be if luck hadn't been on his side.  :2c:

expeditionary said:
Noted. I wasn't interested in Class B.

I'm a little confused... maybe I am reading it wrong - if you're not interested in Class B, then why are you even doing math (comparing your pay at Class A to a Reg force job is 10s and 10s and 10s of thousands in difference...)

What else in the Res would you be interested in?

Here's a breakdown of what you will make at BMQ.

Attachments

• Pay Breakdown.jpg
    Pay Breakdown.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 828
Wow!! I made a quarter of that in MY first year! Actually, I think I was in for 3 before I was pulling down THAT kind of coin!!

But see, here's the thing - that 2800 a month goes to over 6000 a month in a few (cough**20**) short years!

Reg force is where it's at baby!! Army alllllll the way too!! I have had the absolute honor and pleasure to meet, abuse and lose friends that I will remember forever.

BinRat55 said:
Wow!! I made a quarter of that in MY first year! Actually, I think I was in for 3 before I was pulling down THAT kind of coin!!

But see, here's the thing - that 2800 a month goes to over 6000 a month in a few (cough**20**) short years!

Reg force is where it's at baby!! Army alllllll the way too!! I have had the absolute honor and pleasure to meet, abuse and lose friends that I will remember forever.

And yes - many of the cool kids weren't just Army. I know many airmen/women and sailors who I would float down a river for... but watch out for them sailor-types... odd bunch them guys!

Fantastic!

Thank you DAA for the fantastically informative post! We have something to work on!

Pay During Initial Training

Private Pay Incentive (PI) 1 = $2,806.00
Deductions = $1,437.14
Net Pay Single = $1,368.86

BMQ = 12 weeks = Three (3) Months
BMQ - Land = One (1) Month
BOQT = 17 Weeks = 4.25 months - round to Four (4) Months
Total Time (initial) Training = ~Eight (8.25) months*

Time (8.0 - months) * Net Single Pay ($1,368.86) = $10,950.88**

Assume:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Pay and Deductions stay roughly (+/- 10%) the same during eight months and various postings.
[/list]

* That's 22% (approx. 1/5) of a Three (3) year VIE - substantial.
** Considering after basic necessities met, this is grand money!

IIRC BMQ-Land is rolled into Inf DP1 Trades course so you will go from BMQ-Common to Inf DP 1....

Back