• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just finished scanning the entire RMC Cadet Handbook into PDF format. If you want this, send me a PM and I will send it off to you. This also goes for the prep year people who are on this site. This handbook will save you a lot of grief during FYOP. Again, if you want it, let me know.

Big Foot said:
I have just finished scanning the entire RMC Cadet Handbook into PDF format. If you want this, send me a PM and I will send it off to you. This also goes for the prep year people who are on this site. This handbook will save you a lot of grief during FYOP. Again, if you want it, let me know.

Spoilsport.

Depends on your priorities.  I'd rather have a first year take an interest in the history of the college and what it stands for than be able to make the perfect bed in 30 seconds, after all I could train a monkey to do that given the time.  In fact I have no problem with first years showing up with an understanding of college knowledge.  I annoyed one 4th year who tried to c**k us around by keeping us in the push up position until we learned the old 18 on the 2nd day by rattling them off in about 5 seconds (I'm now down to 3.55).  To be perfectly honest I'd love it if some first years showed up knowing more college knowledge than their staff.  It might remind some senior cadets that the things you learn on FYOP aren't just some BS you need to pay lip service to for 2 months and then forget.  You should be absorbing some sense of the values (ie. TDV) which should guide you throughout your time at RMC and, for that matter, throughout your career.  In any case thats my rant for this evening.

Spinaker Out.

(edit) and for some reason the post this was in response to has disapeared...Any explanation?

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether graphing calculators are allowed for math/calculus courses at RMC.  I'm thinking of selling my TI-83 Plus and buying the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition, but if graphing calculators are not allowed, then there isn't much point.

Related to that, will all Arts students be taking courses such as math and chemistry in first year? I'm prepared to do so, but rather not...

pi-r-squared said:
I'm wondering if anyone knows whether graphing calculators are allowed for math/calculus courses at RMC.  I'm thinking of selling my TI-83 Plus and buying the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition, but if graphing calculators are not allowed, then there isn't much point.

Coming from a non-RMC engineering student, there is no way your profs will let you use your graphic calculator for exams.. although it can be a VERY handy tool. If you were an electrical or computer engineering student I could tell you exactly what you need but I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with a TI-83. You can get pretty much everything except graphics on basic models nowadays, anyway :)

On the topic of calculators, all you're allowed to use on exams are the calculators they issue you. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a graphing calc to verify your work and all, but don't become dependant on it as you can't use it on exams.

No graphing calculators in exams?  I just wrote my 4th year Mech finals and used my TI-89 in every one.  And believe me I've become very dependant on it (1+3 is about as complex as I'm willing to get without it at this point.).  The restriction to issued calculators is limited to some early courses.

ESS you will still have to take some math/sci courses.

I have a some questions:

1. At my job I work about 25 hours per week will this be taken into account when I apply, or does just having a job count?

2. Would you suggest I work less and do more activities instead?

3. I don't like my job very much (grumpy people, 6 hour shifts on weekdays, ect..) should I quit and get a new job after a year, or stay and hope a long time at this place will look good?

4. I play sports at cadets, I was on the baskettball team this year and went to the sports nights. Will this look as good as playing sports in school, or in the community?

5. Does RMC care if you went to grade 10 math summer school?

Last question! how is the vision test done, by an eye chart or by looking into a machine?

Sorry for all the questions, but i just need to know!

Sprate said:
5. Does RMC care if you went to grade 10 math summer school?

Last question! how is the vision test done, by an eye chart or by looking into a machine?

Sorry for all the questions, but i just need to know!

I can only take a stab at these two

As for the math summer camp, well i am going to assume you had bad marks in math in grade 10 which might hinder you. And the eye exam, well mine was done on a chart.

Paish said:
I can only take a stab at these two

As for the math summer camp, well i am going to assume you had bad marks in math in grade 10 which might hinder you. And the eye exam, well mine was done on a chart.

Jeez you're quick.  I was going to reply about the same two!

I got a conditional offer from my local CFRC but my marks dropped a lot since my second term report card (gr12), but the averages for Gr10-12 would still be over 80%. Is that okay or should I pay the deposit to UBC and attend civ uni and try again next yr.

Basic Person said:
I got a conditional offer from my local CFRC but my marks dropped a lot since my second term report card (gr12), but the averages for Gr10-12 would still be over 80%. Is that okay or should I pay the deposit to UBC and attend civ uni and try again next yr.

Well what does the conditional offer say about maintaining satisfactory academic results? Go see the MCC at the recruiting centre.

I can't seem to find it using the search function, but feel free to hit me over the head...

In the rmc.ca FAQ it says

What are the dormitories like?
RMC has five dormitories. Dormitories are co-educational with separate male and female washrooms and are organized by squadron. In first year, you share a room with another cadet, usually someone who is proficient in the other official language. The dormitories at RMC are similar to most universities and provide the basic necessities

Does that mean that in second/third/fourth year, you have your own room?

It depends.  One of the dorms will likely be closed next year for renovations so there will be fewer rooms available.  Most likely most second years and some third years will end up with roomates for the next year at least.

In 5 Squadron at very least, there will only be 12 people with single rooms. I imagine the situation will be the same for 6 and 7 Squadrons as well. To the best of my knowledge, there will be no change to the setup in Lasalle and Stone Frigate. ANd hey, if you can live with a roommate for first year, you can probably put up with it for a little longer.

Is it possible to change my planned degree? I applied for civil engineering, but as I am going into EME, I would very much prefer electrical or mechanical degrees as they would be more relevant to my career in the miltary. I read on the RMC website that the first year engineering is the same. Thnx.

Basic Person said:
Is it possible to change my planned degree? I applied for civil engineering, but as I am going into EME, I would very much prefer electrical or mechanical degrees as they would be more relevant to my career in the miltary. I read on the RMC website that the first year engineering is the same. Thnx.

Even though you applied as Civil Engineering, there is a common first year for all Engineering (and science i believe) students...same goes for arts. Just like any other university, u specialize in your 2nd year and i highly doubt it would be a problem as long as your marks are ok in first year..... 

I read in the rmc brochure that you can do two degrees too. How popular is that?

If you do your B.Sc. at RMC, is it possible to go into a medical school at a civi university right away if you plan to become a MO? or would you have to either do your 4 years? and then apply or go through civi university to get your B.Sc. and then try and go MOTP?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back