• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
  My oppinon on training officers is that all eligible applicants must have a BA, BS, ect before they apply. If accepted, you spend one year at a base for military training. The British seem to save tax dollars that way (sandhurst)

I've been lurking here for awhile but the gauntlet was thrown and I have to intervene.

Sure, Maclean's Magazine once refered to RMC (during their annual university rankings) as being known only for its good looking guys and ugly women (paraphrasing).  One can only assume that the person writing this was once slighted by a female RMC cadet.

Now, onto Mr Bond.

First of all, it is a huge waste of money. It costs close to $300,000.00 to educate an RMC student, and that does not include classification training! Conversely, ROTP Civilian university costs a mere $80,000.00. We would be far better off to reinstate the old COTC, or even resurrect the RESO program. That was an excellent way to train young officers!

I'm sure if you included the fact that these Civvie U ROTPs are also being payed throughout the year the price may be a little closer to that of RMC.  Of course, with a low student to prof ratio (I averaged about 18 students per class for a couple of years) the price for RMC will always be at least a little higher.

Ask some troops who they'd prefer to have as a platoon or troop leader - a ring knocker with his head rectally situated, or someone who's a little more down to earth?

I've seen clowns from both situations.  In fact, RMC students learn very early on that they cannot succeed alone; from recruit term all the way to graduation they are forces and/or encouraged to work together.  Reports from my coleagues who went to civvie U tell that they were only partnered up for labs and only worked in groups when they wanted to.  So, as a troopie, would you rather have someone who can already work in a team or someone who is still learning?

Our civilian universities are well respected in the business world, the scientific community, and in the general public. They are at the frontier of new research. They draw academic staff and graduates from around the world because they are institutions of quality. After all, they are producing a "product" for a wide and diverse market. RMC really only has one customer - DND. There is nothing offered at RMC as far as academic disiplines that cannot be found in a civilian university, and often at a much higher calibre. One look at their engineering department will confirm this.

That would be why there were about a dozen people in my grad year (of about 150) who were bought out by various companies -- all of them engineers.  That would also explain why the Environmental Sciences Group run out of the college is known as one of the leading researchers in remediation techniques and was hired to head up the clean-up of the DEW line sites.  I could keep going, but I don't like to gloat.  ;)

Did you ever even attend RMC?

Either Mr. Jimmy Bond is a troll or someone who's been rejected by RMC, but his arguments are garbage - and I am a graduate who has commanded troops in the field and earned their respect so I know whereof I speak.  Mr. Bond, someone of no discernible experience stating that RMC grad have their heads up their ass has proven that his is equally rectally inserted.  Enough said.  I suggest you find another board to play around in.

Bond was only active for one day, and for an hour at that.

(According to his profile).

As far as RMC is concerned... there are positives and negatives, as there are with anything... I think one of the more frustrating things for many cadets is that many of the traditions have been either forced out or are currently in serious decline.

As a result of many of the recent WhigStandard articles about RMC and some careless mistakes by a few cadets, many of the old-time traditions have been stronlgy discouraged by the CO and staff.. (I say this having had a college number myself, and having still friends attending RMC right now).

I think one of the best advantages to running a military academy like RMC is that you do indeed instill some of those old-world traditions, the types of things that instill pride in a young officer, respect for his uniform and for those who have come before him, (or her) and a devotion not to disappoint that long standing tradition.

From what Im told. RMC is fast becoming yet another publicly-funded university but with uniforms and limited enrollment.

Jimmy Bond said:
Ring knocking is not the fast track to the higher echelons, either. Both LGen Hillier and MGen Leslie went to civilian universities. In fact, Leslie was a RESO graduate! Mind you, the name helped somewhat.
2 out of 50+.  Not good odds I think.  I think that wherever they come from, they should have to be a soldier first and later an officer.  They then could learn what we men have to go through and what our opinion of officers are.

Horse_Soldier said:
Either Mr. Jimmy Bond is a troll or someone who's been rejected by RMC, but his arguments are garbage - and I am a graduate who has commanded troops in the field and earned their respect so I know whereof I speak.  
As one of the men, I love to hear officers say they earned the respect of their men.  I must respect the rank, not the man.  If he received my respect, he has done something to prove his knowledge or to protect his men from misuse.

or to protect his men from misuse.

However, it is very hard to protect your soldiers from everything and keep them always out of harm's way.  Ensuring that they have the best possible training and support and always look out for their welfare.  Look after your soldiers because without them you are not a leader.

If anyone has any specific questions about RMC feel free to PM me.  I graduated from RMC back in May so at least some of the info I can give is relatively current. 

Sorry in the delay, I have been very very busy but when you both next read this you both have responses in your inbox(s)

Some of the things said in this topic upsetted me.  First off, I just want to say that not all of the guys from RMC are the cocky type.  I will admit, that RMC does have their fair share of them though,  but there are quite many that are not.  My husband went to RMC, we got married in his 2nd year (ROTP).  My husband and all of his friends - were the non-cocky types... they were pretty good people, with very good reputations, and gained a lot from RMC, not just academically.  And Im quite sure they will make very good officers in the future.
I know just as many officers who didnt go to RMC, that are the cocky type, as there were at RMC.
Enough rambling on that. I feel that if anyone has the opportunity to apply to RMC, its such a wonderful opportunity to take.  If you hate some of the types of people that are there - bite your lip. You will run into your fair share of them anywhere in life.

AirForceWife said:
If you hate some of the types of people that are there - bite your lip. You will run into your fair share of them anywhere in life.
Well said, AirForceWife

I currently go to RMC, AND I'm a UTPNCM, so if anyone has any questions about either, feel free to fire away.

Just a qustion for all of you current RMC students.  Have you got your Year Book yet from last year?  My husband graduated last May (rotp), and his and his friends haven't been mailed out to them yet

AirForceWife said:
Just a qustion for all of you current RMC students.  Have you got your Year Book yet from last year?  My husband graduated last May (rotp), and his and his friends haven't been mailed out to them yet

Yes, I believe they were given out before christmas. I'm only first year, so I don't have one, but I did see announcements on the board and a few boxes of them around.

Thanks. Gonna try calling the RMC club to find out whats going on with all the people who graduated last May. Seems like there's a bunch of the graduates who never received theirs yet

Does anyone know how acceptance into RMC looks this year?? I already finished my proccess in early February and I'm getting really anxious to get a call(hopefully). Has anyone applied for RMC this year? I applied for Engineering and my first occupation choice was Combat Engineer. My interviewer told me that I am a strong applicant and that i would be accepted if it were up to him but that's still not very reassuring so I guess all i can do is wait now... :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back