• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've lived in Kingston for 6 years prior to my now First Year here at the College.

Trust me, if you get in, your 2nd years will take care of you.

Hell, I'll take care of you if you're a good guy  :nod:

Big Bad Bear said:
It sounds like I'd enjoy Kingston. London has long lost its vibe but it still has the crazy weekends and holidays with Western U,  Fanshawe College, Brescia, etc. The Fleming Drive Riot that made provincial news (at least) last year is a great example  :facepalm:

Regards,

BBB

Yeah, I'm from Toronto and now I live in Waterloo, for someone like me, it's a good change of pace to move to a smaller city. Though I have never been to London before, you might enjoy Kingston

Hey guys, just had some questions for anyone willing to answer it!

So I applied for ROTP as an Armour Officer and Artillery as my second choice. I heard back from CFRC Hamilton 5 days after I applied to schedule my CFAT. It's on the 12Th and I'm really pumped. However, when talking with my recruiter I decided to ask some questions. I found out that I did not meet the academic requirements for RMCC and he told me that I will be going the CivU route. Now my questions for you guys are;

1) Do I still require the RMCC academic requirements, or I am just held to the standard of my CivU which I am applying to? Reason I am asking this is because I have 2 credits remaining for my OSSD, and if I could ditch my current math course and pick up 2 more writing centered courses, I could have my OSSD finished in a matter of weeks as I am doing ILC courses to finish off my OSSD.

2) If I didn't make the cut for RMCC, why am I getting pushed through the process so quickly? If I understand correctly, the ROTP Academic Questionnaire goes to RMCC first and if they find you suitable, they pass it down. So I must have been found suitable for something no?

3) Since I live in Ontario, do I have to apply for Ontario Universities or can I go anywhere in Canada as an Officer Cadet under ROTP? I applied to Acadia in Nova Scotia and am expecting a conditional offer from them some time next week, subject to submission of my final transcripts.

I am just curious as to what my chances are. Preparing for the worst, hoping for the best.

Hope to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter soon!

Cheers,
J

JordanA said:
Hey guys, just had some questions for anyone willing to answer it!

So I applied for ROTP as an Armour Officer and Artillery as my second choice. I heard back from CFRC Hamilton 5 days after I applied to schedule my CFAT. It's on the 12Th and I'm really pumped. However, when talking with my recruiter I decided to ask some questions. I found out that I did not meet the academic requirements for RMCC and he told me that I will be going the CivU route. Now my questions for you guys are;

1) Do I still require the RMCC academic requirements, or I am just held to the standard of my CivU which I am applying to? Reason I am asking this is because I have 2 credits remaining for my OSSD, and if I could ditch my current math course and pick up 2 more writing centered courses, I could have my OSSD finished in a matter of weeks as I am doing ILC courses to finish off my OSSD.

2) If I didn't make the cut for RMCC, why am I getting pushed through the process so quickly? If I understand correctly, the ROTP Academic Questionnaire goes to RMCC first and if they find you suitable, they pass it down. So I must have been found suitable for something no?

3) Since I live in Ontario, do I have to apply for Ontario Universities or can I go anywhere in Canada as an Officer Cadet under ROTP? I applied to Acadia in Nova Scotia and am expecting a conditional offer from them some time next week, subject to submission of my final transcripts.

I am just curious as to what my chances are. Preparing for the worst, hoping for the best.

Hope to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter soon!

Cheers,
J

1) You must be accepted to a recognized Canadian civi u. It is not absolute that you must meet requirements for RMC.

2) You are being processed because you meet the minimum requirements for further screening. It seems like they are "pushing" you through because selections are in April and they really want to get CFAT, Med exams, and interviews out of the way as quickly as possible.

3) You may attend any Canadian accredited university.

Good luck!

Thanks very much for the quick reply!

So you think I should be okay ditching the math then? Just curious.

Just to verify, the arts degree I am looking at doing only requires ENG4U which I have an 88% in (final grade). I am just required to have an additional five 4U/M credits of my choice.

J.

JordanA said:
Thanks very much for the quick reply!

So you think I should be okay ditching the math then? Just curious.

Just to verify, the arts degree I am looking at doing only requires ENG4U which I have an 88% in (final grade). I am just required to have an additional five 4U/M credits of my choice.

J.
I would never recommend ditching math.  You'll need it for the rest of your life. 

I understand math skills are great to have for any individual, however, in light of trying to acquire my OSSD as quick as possible, it would be more beneficial to take courses that play on my strengths rather than my weaknesses (anything but math). I have basic math skills. I did take it until Grade 11. However, doing courses right now such as Functions at the U level seem a little time wasting given my intended field of study and my intended trade not to mention very challenging as some of the information doesn't seem to stick, no matter how much studying I do. Just not a math mind. Math courses on my final transcript will cause my overall average to drop, I guarantee that. I have an 87% average from all my top 4 U/M courses, just need two credits for that OSSD as stated before.

I know it may seem like I'm not willing to hack at it to achieve what I need to, however if I don't need the math, I'd rather build upon my strengths as I'm sure they are of some use to the Canadian Forces.

Just applied for ROTP  ;D

Choice 1- Signals
Choice 2- Electrical and Mechanical Engineering
Choice 3- Logistics

Alex.Landry said:
Hell, I'll take care of you if you're a good guy  :nod:

Thanks! Whatever keeps me from walking around like a chicken with its head cut off, getting yelled at, is great! :p

[quote author=Cui]
Though I've never been to London before.
[/quote]

Cui, the few significant things about London are the abundance of trees, parks and grass fields and grass street boulevards. It's a physically beautiful city -- nice for vacation (minus the constant construction on major roads), but not as residence. Politico-socioeconomic issues here are plentiful (high unemployment, negligence of small businesses, criminally charged mayor, to name a few).

Regards,

BBB

JordanA said:
I understand math skills are great to have for any individual, however, in light of trying to acquire my OSSD as quick as possible, it would be more beneficial to take courses that play on my strengths rather than my weaknesses (anything but math). I have basic math skills. I did take it until Grade 11. However, doing courses right now such as Functions at the U level seem a little time wasting given my intended field of study and my intended trade not to mention very challenging as some of the information doesn't seem to stick, no matter how much studying I do. Just not a math mind. Math courses on my final transcript will cause my overall average to drop, I guarantee that. I have an 87% average from all my top 4 U/M courses, just need two credits for that OSSD as stated before.

I know it may seem like I'm not willing to hack at it to achieve what I need to, however if I don't need the math, I'd rather build upon my strengths as I'm sure they are of some use to the Canadian Forces.

Think about keeping the math course. If by chance you are accepted and sent to RMC or CMR, no matter what first year program you're in, you will take math. Just something to think about.

As another has said before, math will stick with you for the rest of your life. And I'm telling you right now, functions is not a waste of time.

Interview in T- 57 minutes. Reviewing fact sheets and stuff now. I'll post how it went later.

Regards,

BBB

Hey guys,

They called my reference today. All went well, I suspect a call for interview in the next days. At last news, they were unable to tell me what they will do with my case. I passed the interview, pilot selection, asco selection last year and was selected. Had to refuse at that time for family reason and as of today I think that was the best choice back then. Now, all is good so im excited to know what will going on with me.

Nic

Doing the academic questionnaire at the moment.  :D

Will have to pick up my transcripts on Friday to scan.

Hey Folks,

Applied in October and got through all the steps (CFAT, Medical and Interview).  Doing a component transfer from Primary Reserve to ROTP.  I have applied to other Universities as a backup but my first choice is RMCC .  Career choice Naval Combat Systems Engineering.  Live in the Great White North and am getting tired of three month of straight cold weather (-25 to -40 with wind chills into the -50 to -60 range).  Would like to experience the warm tropical conditions in Kingston for the next years and wish the offers would come sooner rather than later.  I am wondering if any of the current cadets that can offer any insight into the steps we as applicants should be following while we wait to here about our respective ROTP and RMCC status?  Should we be in regular contact with our case manager at our respective recruiting centre or in may case the component transfer coordinator or is it purely a waiting game? 

Thanks for your feedback!

Frozen in the North - KTIPNORTH

ktipnorth said:
Should we be in regular contact with our case manager at our respective recruiting centre or in may case the component transfer coordinator or is it purely a waiting game? 
Once you've completed all steps of the application process, there's no need to be in regular contact with them, unless you would like, for your peace of mind, to continue to hear that they're awaiting results of the selection board.

Answers usually come out in the spring and continue into the summer for Civi street applicants.  Not sure about CT's

Conz said:
Well BBB, how did it go?

Well, as it turns out, I'm not a very competitive candidate this year. It's doubtful that I'll make it in for this year's ROTP but now that I know what is fully expected of me, next year will rock. I did learn valuable lessons from it.

All the short-term preparation I did could have never amounted to the long-term preparation needed. My school marks and community work have only begun to kick off in the last couple years which isn't enough for them. Furthermore, my lack of any qualifications or certificates (navigation, survival, First Aid, etc.), extra curriculars, athletic achievement and work experience certainly didn't aid in convincing them.

I did very well with the duties and responsibilities and personal qualities (which I had) required for my trades. As much heart as I may have, they didn't have enough concrete evidence.

I was a stupid kid who realized too late what the Forces really wanted. I pushed myself hard to make up for it but my history was unchanged and I hadn't enough. This setback will only make me try harder. It's not for certain that I'll be rejected but my Plan B is ready to roll and when the time's right, I'll apply again.

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." ~ Winston Churchill

Regards,

BBB

BBB, that is a very mature response. Stick to your studies and improvements and rock it next year. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back