• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ex-Pat FlagWagger said:
For those still waiting, I am aware of two people who received acceptance at RMC this week. The first was accepted onto ROTP at RMC St-Jean (move to RMCC at Kingston for years 2-4) and the other was initially ROTP at Civ-U but then changed to ROTP at St-Jean too.

At this point in time, those would probably be "ROTP-Juniors", who need to attend "prep" year (CMR St Jean) prior to attending RMC or commencing their undergrad studies.  I believe that final round selections are scheduled for 2 Jun.

Good luck to those still waiting.......

No - they're both doing Year 1 at CMR before doing years 2-4 at RMC. Both are Ontario HS graduates and neither need CEGEP1.

Ex-Pat FlagWagger said:
No - they're both doing Year 1 at CMR before doing years 2-4 at RMC. Both are Ontario HS graduates and neither need CEGEP1.

Must be a "space available" thing then as Jr selections were done just last week.  Anything is possible these days.

When I was at RMCSJ there were three categories of people (note that junior/senior only corresponds with how they were addressed at the college):

Preps who were Quebec students who needed CEGEP or from other parts of the country who required upgrading. This was their first out of two years at RMCSJ.

Juniors who graduated high school and did not need CEGEP, who took first year there and then moved on to RMCC for 2nd-4th years. This was their first out of one year at RMCSJ. This was also the most populated group out of the three when I was there.

Seniors who were preps the year before, who filled the various bar positions. This was their second out of two years at RMCSJ.

Hello. I'm currently in grade 11 and I was thinking about applying for ROTP to get into RMC in grade 12.
My grades seem to be good ranging from 86% to 99% so I'm not too worried about that.
I also know that leadership is another important factor for acceptance however I don't know how many things I need to do to portray that.

I was in air cadets from grade 9 to the end of grade 11 but I quit that at grade 11 because I felt I needed more time for school.
I have about 50 hours of volunteer work from a thrift store I volunteered in and my church.
I was in badminton from grade 8 to the end of grade 10 but I also quit that at grade 11 because I was busy with school work.

So basically I have cadets, 50 hours of volunteer, and 1 sport that contributes to portraying leadership.
However I quit cadets and didn't participate in any sports in my grade 11 year. That definitely doesn't sound it's enough so for next year, I'm planning to participate in badminton and cross country. I'm planning to participate in grad planing organization in my school. I'll also be doing some volunteer work in the summer from my local community as well as in my church.

Would that be enough to portray leadership?

If not should I join cadets again? (I really regret quitting it)

You can begin by learning how to do RESEARCH.  Try reading this thread that your question has been added to and see what others have been told of their chances of acceptance into ROTP.

Epelix said:
Hello. I'm currently in grade 11 and I was thinking about applying for ROTP to get into RMC in grade 12.
My grades seem to be good ranging from 86% to 99% so I'm not too worried about that.
I also know that leadership is another important factor for acceptance however I don't know how many things I need to do to portray that.

I was in air cadets from grade 9 to the end of grade 11 but I quit that at grade 11 because I felt I needed more time for school.
I have about 50 hours of volunteer work from a thrift store I volunteered in and my church.
I was in badminton from grade 8 to the end of grade 10 but I also quit that at grade 11 because I was busy with school work.

So basically I have cadets, 50 hours of volunteer, and 1 sport that contributes to portraying leadership.
However I quit cadets and didn't participate in any sports in my grade 11 year. That definitely doesn't sound it's enough so for next year, I'm planning to participate in badminton and cross country. I'm planning to participate in grad planing organization in my school. I'll also be doing some volunteer work in the summer from my local community as well as in my church.

Would that be enough to portray leadership?

If not should I join cadets again? (I really regret quitting it)

You should think about getting a part-time job.

I meant to name my post "Illustration of Leadership" instead of "Possibility of Acceptance to RMC". I just simply forgot to rename it. I think that's why my post was moved into this thread because of the title. I didn't mean to ask for my possibility of acceptance. I just wanted to know what specific things would be consider portraying leadership and how much of it I need.

StudentPilot23 said:
You should think about getting a part-time job.

That's probably a good idea. I forgot that jobs would also be beneficial in portraying leadership.

So would having part-time job, cadet experience, 50 hours of volunteer, and 1 sport that contributes to portraying leadership be enough?

The four pillars of RMC teaching are academic, athletic, leadership and bilingualism - how do YOU satisfy these? It sounds as if you've got the academic side sorted, but your questions imply that your understanding of leadership could be better - until you understand the military's view on leadership, no amount of resume building will help. Note, in my experience there is no "ideal" set of resume items that can guarantee entry

What is leadership? Leadership is about getting others to willingly work for you, it's about building teams to do tasks, getting the task done and at the same time developing the skills of the people working for you; it's about looking after your people more than yourself and it's about setting an excellent example so that your team want to be you; leadership is about respect - your respect for your team, and you earning their respect. Being brutal, how does leaving cadets early, having approx 15 hours per year of community service and being a lapsed player of an individual sport help?

Basically you need to be able to present yourself as a more "complete" person, who has wider experience than just academics. Yes, academics are vital, however don't sacrifice the other areas in favour of concentrating on academics alone. Would rejoining cadets help? Possibly, but only if you admit to having made a mistake and throw yourself fully into the program - you need to be looking for a senior cadet NCO position to gain experience at taking charge. Would your thrift store experience help? Again, it could: what experience did it give of leading teams, of getting a team to do your bidding? How do you solve problems? How do you cope with changing circumstances? How do you react to stress? How do you act in the face of adverse criticism? All of these, and more, influence the art of leadership and cannot be demonstrated by some magic formula on your resume, it'll be down to your performance in interview and your abilities to show you're someone the military wants.

Good luck

Hello guys,

Here is my story,

I applied in October 2013 to enter the Military and Strategic Studies Program available in Kingston. I was at the time a first year student in International Law at the University of Montreal (About to start my 2nd year). My average was really good and my file was also competitive. I passed all the test: aptitude, interview and medical (I even payed 200$ to do a full eye exam and a urine/blood test because my first choice was Pilot). I gave my last papers in early April 2014 and since then I'm waiting...

I called a few times to get information about my application and around May 20th, they told me that my medical files was back from Ottawa and on June 12,  they put me on the merit list.

We are in July now and no phone call...I don't understand..Is it too late? My application was really good I mean, I have a 20/15 eyesight, my average in International law was B+ (85%), I aced my aptitudes test (that's what the sergeant told me), no diseases, no allergies, no drugs, etc.  Even my high school average is above 85% and I have the physics and chemistry requirements.

Anyone can enlighten me?

Thanks for your time.

PS: I also had some troubles last year when they "lost my papers" and closed my application by mistake.

Sorry for my poor English, it's my third language.

If you have time go down to your recruitment center (if not then call them) and ask about the selection date. Hopefully they'll be able to tell you when the selection date is and how many positions they will be filling. My recruitment center had a long list printed out at the main desk of every career with the selection dates and number of positions next to it. Keep in mind that the selection date is the date they start reviewing everyone's completed application so it may take up to two weeks if not a bit longer to get the call.

Hope this helps.

Alex540 said:
Anyone can enlighten me?

Chances are, it's too late for ROTP at this point in time unless they have last minute cancellations/offers turned down.

If you "really" want to become a Pilot in the CF and want a "subsidized education", then I would highly suggest that you contact your CFRC immediately and ask to have your application converted over to CEOTP-AEAD Pilot which could greatly improve your chances of still being selected this year as CEOTP Selections are not scheduled to take place until 23 Jul.

But you need to do this NOW as you will be required to write the Seneca College Entry Exam which will be administered by your local CFRC.

Good luck!

I am going into Grade 12 next year, and want to know if I should consider RMC as an option.
I am a 5'2" girl about 105 pounds. I can run a 6min30sec mile, 16min 3km, plank for over 1.5 minutes comfortably, do some chin ups, 20-30 push-ups easily, and 50-60 sit-ups in a minute. I can carry someone heavier than me (150 pounds?) I consider myself decently strong for my size. I play soccer mostly (we won league championships this year), and Ultimate Frisbee and field hockey (city champs last year), and used to compete in track and field. I have done up to Level 10 Swimming and Bronze Star/Medallion/Cross lifeguard courses. I am a fast sprinter and decent at endurance.
I have never been in cadets, so I don't exactly have that military experience.
I am an excellent student with a 96/97% average, and I take AP courses. I have achieved 5s in Calculus AB, Chemistry, and Biology and am taking Physics, English and Calculus BC AP courses next year. I was Top Student last year in Grade 10 and have always been in Top 10. I have certificates of accomplishments from a bunch of math contests (AMC, CNML, ASMA, Pascal, Fermat, Cayley, Hypatia, Galois, and Fryer). I have won awards at Exploravision and Science Fair. I also took Web Design for two years so I am skilled with Adobe CS5: Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver etc. I am a Textiles/Sewing student and made a wool coat/blazer and evening gown and sew as a hobby. I'm the type of student that doesn't need to study that much to get good grades, which can be good or bad depending on how you see it.
I have a Service Award for volunteering at my school. I volunteer at elementary schools planning and running afterschool programs such as teaching piano, art programs, reading programs, cooking programs, and soccer programs. I have High Five leadership training working with kids, and have CPR A and C. I have volunteered over 300/400 hours for the Catching the Spirit Youth Society over the past six years. I was selected as a Peer Leader in 2012 and underwent leadership training and first aid. I plan and lead overnight weekend environmental stewardship camps. I am also on the Youth Council for that. I work as a Skating Instructor with the city park board part time because I used to figure skate. I have done various work experience positions at a pharmacy, a university lab, and at an industrial company where I worked with 3D design computer modelling under engineers. I am certified with SolidWorks 3D design software. I have played piano for over ten years and achieved Level 10 RCM.
I am a Chinese Canadian immigrant so I speak fluent English and Cantonese and am conversable in Mandarin and French (just high school) with basic reading and typing skills.

I'm not really looking for the answer of "Will I get in?" since I've read enough forums to know that there really isn't an answer, though I'd like to know if I should bother applying I guess. My main question is would I be tough enough to survive RMC if I go there. Would I meet the RMC physical training and standards? Is life there extremely tough, mentally and physically? Would people recommend that I go?

For me, I feel that the CF would give me purpose in life, since I really don't know what direction I want to go and there are a lot of options out there for me. I like that RMC is so structured and scheduled and challenging. I want the discipline because it could potentially push me to reach my full potential. But it's also the type of thing that could make or break me, so I'd like to know how you'd think I'd handle it if you've undergone it before. Also, what could I do to improve? 

khyh said:
I'm not really looking for the answer of "Will I get in?" since I've read enough forums to know that there really isn't an answer, though I'd like to know if I should bother applying I guess. My main question is would I be tough enough to survive RMC if I go there. Would I meet the RMC physical training and standards? Is life there extremely tough, mentally and physically? Would people recommend that I go?

I'd say go for it. 

khyh said:
Also, what could I do to improve?

Given what you've posted here, not a heck of a lot.

LOL thanks. Is that coming from personal experience? Could you tell me more about life there and the pressure? I've heard that breakdowns are very common and the life is exhausting. How many people drop out?

Journeyman said:
Yes, PMedMoe is also a short girl.    ;)

CALLING ME SHORT? I'M FUN SIZED. >:D
but actually, would my height/size be an issue with physical training?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back