• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular physical fitness testing?

Many CF members become complacent in their career and view it as just another job.  This is not everyone, but many of them.

Popurhedoff said:
I find this especially true in the AirForce.

With all respect to your 27 years, I challenge you to visit my unit and find people who see the military as "just a job". if it was "just a job", both aircrews and ground crews would not put up with the personel shortages and the punishing schedule we run here.

Instead of slamming each other's elements for different reasons perhaps we could demonstrate a united front in order to let future applicants see the true meaning of combined operations and that we are all part of a great, albeit small, organization.  It is actually disheartening to see supposedly senior CF members on this site continuing the "us and them" attitude.

aesop081 said:
Many CF members become complacent in their career and view it as just another job.   This is not everyone, but many of them.

With all respect to your 27 years, I challenge you to visit my unit and find people who see the military as "just a job". if it was "just a job", both aircrews and ground crews would not put up with the personnel shortages and the punishing schedule we run here.

I stand by my statement, many not everyone. Most people put up with it because they would actually have to compete for their jobs on civie street, in the Military they have job security, they get paid the same whether you do a great job or a passable job.

As for your unit, are you in Greenwood?  I have been posted to Moosejaw, Cold Lake, Shearwater, Greenwood, Shearwater again and now Petawawa. I have seen in the last 10 years that do most consider it a job not a career. With all the extra work, taskings, pay freezes, deployments, and of course good old amalgamation.. many do consider it a job and like most people it is human nature to take the path of least resistance.

Now there are some who do consider it a career, who do give a dam, who do put in the extra effort, do lead by example and to all those people,  I do greatly respect and admire them and for their efforts and contributions.  :salute:

Popurhedoff said:
As for your unit, are you in Greenwood?  

NO...thank heaven !!

I suppose you are going to tell me that the army is different ?  After 11 years in the army (combat engineer BTW) , you can't fool me there.

You have an "us and them" attitude without the means to back it up.  You would think that after 27 years in the military, you would be able to see things with a broader perspective.

aesop081 said:
NO...thank heaven !!

I suppose you are going to tell me that the army is different ?   After 11 years in the army (combat engineer BTW) , you can't fool me there.

You have an "us and them" attitude without the means to back it up.   You would think that after 27 years in the military, you would be able to see things with a broader perspective.

heck no,   I have never been ARMY so I could not tell about that, as for the us and them...them I have no probs with the "them" ... on the other hand it is the "us" I was referring to...but you are half right, its not a matter of perspective... but I have seen a lot of us get ... broader and broader   :eek:

One of the statement I hear the most from my guys is:  "why do you do that... I only do the Express test once a year and get it over with."

Sooo Physical fitness:

Where do we start on a subject that's been discussed ad infinitum in both the Reg and Res Army.
The biggest issue involved in this discussion and most likely why fitness is not pushed too overtly is risk mitigation.
Is the DND willing to deal wished to propensity to body breakage in trades other than Infantry, in view of our sedentary lifestyle.
A small military, with a vast array of trades other than the high activity trades (Infantry, Engrs etc,) could lead to a voluminous rush to the MIR.
Big bucks are involved here, and increase in stretch of already overtaxed soldiers.
In the Res, a civy firefighter, or police officer who breaks a leg while on a Saturday morning run, who carries the can.

No, I think the soft sell of a culture of physical fitness will carry the day.
Break out the combat boot and rucksacks, and folks in and org that's already under stress for numbers, will vote with their feet.

bottom line: physical fitness is the responsibility of the individual soldier. Good troops will do it on their own, regardless of component, trade, or Op Tempo. Crap troops will not.
It also falls on the shoulders of the Leaders to enforce proper standards applicable to their trade, and to simple common sense.
It does no favours for your troops to allow them to turn into fat slugs, as it increases their dangers in Theatre, and it decreases their employability, as well as their life-span.

But, crap troops and crap leaders abound.

You want to make a difference? Do some PT. Lead by example.

Can this thread die, now?

paracowboy said:
Can this thread die, now?

I thought it had!  ;D

don't worry, another PT/Fitness/Fat Troops thread will be along soon....

In regards to people taking offence to someone else saying there trade in the military is lazy... its a generalization, not a personal attack. It is safe for me to say that infantry are in amazing shape, but there are exceptions, its also safe for me to say an engineer has more education than the average infanteer, but not always. One last observation, the air force as a whole is more out of shape than the army.

guys its a generalization, stop arguing against it, theres always exceptions to the "generalizations". I as an infanteer can probably out ruck the vast majoirty of clerks, but im sure theres a few that could make me look like an outdated gramma. KEY WORD FOR THE DAY GENERALIZATION!

I have asked several people during my 10 years in the reserves,   why we do not hold ourselves to the same physical fitness standards that the Reg force hold themselves too.   Or more accurately to what the standards are, or supposed to be.

The answers given to me by officers and Snr Ncms, Reg and Res force is always the same.   We have one night of the week.   Three hours!   To train so that we can hopefully turn out troops that can do the job that they were intended.   Augment the Regs.   That means that pt is not done, there is too much to do learning how to put an engine together.   Taking apart a rifle, cleaning it and putting it back together again...and so on.  
Yes I am from a Combat Service Support Element.

AND
If someone gets hurt doing pt during our 3 hour training night, that means mountains of paperwork, and money paid out for disability.   Something they are not willing to risk for a part time soldier.

Well, my personal opinion is.   I joined the army.   If you are going to hire people they are going to have to know that pt is a requirement.   I fell into the same trap that alot do.   I got complacent,   and really fat.   Now I have to fix that.
Group pt, and take this from someone who has a lot of trouble keeping motivated and is the first to admit it,   is much easier.

Not the kind where everyone has a Mcpl or Sgt screeching at them from behind. Split into groups according to their fitness level, and working up to a set standard.

You can not tell me that running around the parade square for 20 minutes, a few pushups, sit ups,etc. Or a quick game of floor hockey, volleyball, what have you, takes so long that it can not be done, with time to train.  Then a quick shower and dressed again.  Basic training was a test to our 5 minute showering abilities.e
After a while the tired feelings go away.   Exercise gives you endorphins, endorphins make you happy..and you think better.

I have learned that pt is more fun when you have people who are working toward the same goal.   It keeps those voices in my head telling me to not bother, just quit.. quiet.

Not only will the army benefit, but so will the soldiers.

Seems to be a no brainer to me

No, as this is the mental part of your endurance training........." How do ya like me now Buttercup?"

Ok ok, I'll let it die.....

No I won't  ;D

Look! fat troops in malaysia too!! At least these guys get a bonus for losing weight!  :D

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) - Malaysia's armed forces are fighting the battle of the bulge.

Too many servicemen are overweight and death rates from diseases linked to obesity have soared compared to deaths on active duty, officers say, prompting a new campaign offering rewards for chubby soldiers who eat less and exercise more.

Obese soldiers are being offered incentives to lose 10 kilograms in six months, a military spokesman said Wednesday. The rewards are yet to be determined, but it won't be extra meals, the spokesman said.

Armed forces Chief Gen. Mohamad Zahidi Zainuddin said 20 per cent of 1,488 soldiers who died in the past decade succumbed to chronic weight-related problems such as high blood pressure, hypertension and diabetes.

"This is a worrying trend, yet premature deaths from chronic diseases can be prevented with a healthy lifestyle," Zahidi was quoted as saying by the national news agency Bernama.

Adding to the military's unhealthy lifestyle, more than half of the roughly 100,000 servicemen and women smoke cigarettes, Zahidi said.

He has proposed that training facilities be made smoke-free zones, Bernama reported.

Source : here.

Lock it up if you must.....

Back