• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Religion in the Canadian Forces & in Canadian Society

That's it, I'm starting a new religion, the redites, we're forbidden to wear green, anyone want to join?

Technoviking said:
Well, I guess the CMAC has spoken.
I knew you'd be overjoyed.  ;D

While we disagree on religion, I suspect we feel pretty much the same about lawyers  :nod:

a Sig Op said:
That's it, I'm starting a new religion, the redites, we're forbidden to wear green, anyone want to join?
I'm going to get excommunicated and then become a nudist.  That's a religion, right?  >:D

Journeyman said:
I knew you'd be overjoyed.  ;D

While we disagree on religion, I suspect we feel pretty much the same about lawyers  :nod:
I would say "amen", but....;D

I am a committed carnivore, no meal is complete without a predominant placement and amount of meat.  Yet, I do not feel offended when expected to attend meals where vegetable matter is served.  I remain polite even when it lands on my plate from the kitchen and I do not feel affronted by vegan practices committed by omnivores or vegetarians who are consuming plant matter, even when they do it in front of me.  The parts of a meal that sate their herbivorous intents neither lessen nor degrade my own commitment to carnivorous repasts. I am above their herd instincts, and I shall not be changed by their ruminations.  Meat is my choice, their choice is their own.

Nauticus said:
Everybody else has covered your other questions well enough. But since when did Remembrance Day become a religious ceremony?

Yesterday I seem to remember being at a remembrance day ceremony and listening to 2 different priests talk about God and Jesus, Resurrection and accepting His love of you. Think there was some stuff thrown in there about sins too.
Then again they called Afghanistan peace keeping and spoke about all the wounded and dead soldiers from WW1, WW2, Korea, Gulf war and Afghanistan- no mention of the soldiers injured and killed in Bosnia.

RyanC, if you don't like it just ignore it. You could be like Lt (N) Scott  refusing to remove his headdress but do you really want that kind of attention?

Grimaldus said:
You could be like that officer that refused to remove his headdress but do you really want that kind of attention?
But....we're talking about oppression!  His human rights, man!  His RIGHTS!

::)

Technoviking said:
And leave your shoes on when you enter that mosque.  We wouldn't want your precious little human rights violated now, would we?

I've been in mosques on business. You put on disposable overshoes if you enter the prayer area. A plastic carpet runner is rolled out along the route you use to access the patient.

I thought I was losing my mind there a few weeks back when the padre addressed the parade and the order to remove headdress wasn't given....now I guess I know why!

I salute government officials that I despise. I'm sure removing my headdress to show respect to something my fellow soldiers get peace from is no worse that saluting a civilian that I think shouldn't be in charge of a walmart.

Would it be wrong to ask for the SSM to forward the names of the non Christan's to put on duty on the 25th of December?

Technoviking said:
But....we're talking about oppression!  His human rights, man!  His RIGHTS!

::)

Which goes back to the other (poppy) thread about Tolerance and how we're taking the whole rights stuff too far.

Too bad we have created a society that by ones intolerance of others views, gives them the right to have their own view tolerated.

dileas

tess

mariomike said:
I've been in mosques on business. You put on disposable overshoes if you enter the prayer area. A plastic carpet runner is rolled out along the route you use to access the patient.

And if you weren't there picking up a patient? 

Michael O'Leary said:
And if you weren't there picking up a patient?

I would remove my shoes, if asked to do so.

More on that:
David Willey BBC News, Amman:
"Others remarked that the Pope had failed to remove his shoes when he visited the mosque in accordance with Muslim custom. All I can say is that I too was allowed to enter the mosque before the Pope's arrival without removing my shoes.":
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8041421.stm

mariomike said:
I would remove my shoes, if asked to do so.

So, the special case(s) of not following custom because of the demands of professional execution of duties is a red herring.

mariomike said:
More on that:
David Willey BBC News, Amman:
"Others remarked that the Pope had failed to remove his shoes when he visited the mosque in accordance with Muslim custom. All I can say is that I too was allowed to enter the mosque before the Pope's arrival without removing my shoes.":
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8041421.stm

Notably, the reporter gives no context for either situation.  As you offer in your own example, there are occasions when that custom might not be followed without intending insult.

RyanC said:
the QR&O`s also states that i must take part in religious ceremonies on remembrance day....

I, like Nauticus, question where you would get this from.

RyanC said:
I am going to try and make this clear THAT I AM NOT! here to speak ill of anyone beliefs , i respect every ones rights to have a religion, a belief and i am not here to challenge those beliefs . I am just asking for the right to my beliefs, and the right not to practice the beliefs of others. being a strong believing atheist i have found that i am quite the minority in the Canadian forces and feel that my religious rights are not taken seriously due to this fact.
In the QR&O`s its states that i will not be subjected to religious proceedings against my will but i find myself time and time again in ranks with my beret off while a padre prays to a god and a belief system that is not my own and i feel that it infringes on my rights as a Canadian citizen and a soldier. the QR&O`s also states that i must take part in religious ceremonies on remembrance day and a handful of other days.

Has anyone come across the same problem? or just have an honest opinion on the matter?

Again i have full respect on everyone and their religious rights

A quick search of this site and my posting history will also reveal to you that I am also a staunch atheist ...

It will also reveal to you that I have ZERO problems with following orders and removing my headdress. It is NOT a religious action on my part; removing my headdress does NOt religious me make. In other words, although seen in a religious light by those whom chose to believe in a higher being, as an athiest - the act means nothing to me - I am simply "taking off my beret" and there's nothing worng with that; it's respectful, not religious.

Clear enough?

Remembrance Day!!?? What the fuck does taking part in that have to do with `being religious`?? Since when - if you are an athiest - is taking off your hat a religious act?? You have me way confused; either you are an athiest - or you ain`t.

And, there you have my honest opinion.

Back