• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remembrance day ceremony in Ottawa

andpro

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering how many members on here were thinking about going to the remembrance day ceremony in Ottawa? If there is enough people maybe we should have an army.ca delegation.

My regiment will of course be out there in force. Look ion the parade for the sea of kilted troops in scarlets and funky hats. Look for us later in the Byward market.

This will be the first one I'm missing in quite a while, having moved back to my home town prior to shoving off to New Zealand.  I even stupidly agreed to do some volunteer work all morning and part of the afternoon without remembering what day it is, but I'll have a moment down at the local cenotaph prior to starting that.

Do as good a job as you always do, lads!  :salute:

I booked that day off work, gonna go down to the War Memorial or Beechwood, not sure yet, and pay my respects.

condor888000 said:
I booked that day off work, gonna go down to the War Memorial or Beechwood, not sure yet, and pay my respects.

The war memorial will be very well attended, have no fear of that. Beechwood would be my reccommendation, since it's a lot easier for many to overlook. I must make a mental note to visit myself.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll end up at Beechwood for personal reasons. I was in charge of the air cadets on parade there last year, and it was a great little place of remembrance, no worries about having to deal with being in the big city.

I would have loved to go to the National ceremony... but I've been voluntold I'm doing cenotaph duty in Vanier at 13:00.
Don't get me wrong, I love our veterans and will bend over backwards for them. It's just, there is nothing as powerfull, as emotional, or as potent as the National ceremony. With the choir singing; the guns echoing off the buildings; the crowds praying; the bands playing; and with 'Peace' and 'Liberty' watching over like heavenly angels, it's enough to make one cry.

This will be my 5th remembrance day in Ottawa and I have only seen the National Ceremony once. We've always paraded with the Vanier legion, and last year I got to fulfil a childhood dream of being part of the cenotaph party at the Vanier community memorial. But that meant I had to miss the ceremonies downtown because of rehearsals and timings. I thought someone else would want to have that honour this year... I guess I was wrong.

I've always liked the smaller venues when I've had the chance.  Still, I may just get up to the main one at Ottawa this year since I can take my kids.

hey all, I've never attended a ceremony at the war memorial before....any parking suggestions or is there a park and ride?  I'm sure the area will be jammed tight...  :cdn:

Amos said:
hey all, I've never attended a ceremony at the war memorial before....any parking suggestions or is there a park and ride?  I'm sure the area will be jammed tight...  :cdn:

It's pretty easy to score a free ride on the bus during Rememberance Day. Provided you are in uniform.

Any bus that goes to the Rideau Centre / NDHQ leaves you a very short walk from the memorial.

I am in Ottawa for the Long weekend and I am heading to the National War Memorial for the ceremony just a walk on, not formed up or anything special. Is there any special considerations or is it just like going to any other ceremony, except on a much larger scale with all the pomp and circumstance? what is a good time to get there?

thanks

VIPs were told to be there by 1040 - back your own timings up quite a bit.  It gets really crowded.

Back