• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remembrance Day: National holiday?/"Veterans' Day"? (merged)

Remembrance Day should be a National Holiday?

• Yes

Votes: 72 62.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 32.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
rmacqueen said:
If you follow this line of thinking then we should also get rid of Canada Day, Thankgiving, Easter, Labour Day and, at the rate it is going, Christmas.

Fair enough. Of course, Rememberance day is more important to me than those. Except maybe Canada day.

For me, Nov 11 was ingrained into me. As a 5th Gen CF member, it's something not to be missed. Sadly, a lot of people don't see it the same way. Education is an important step toward changing that.

Ties in with another post, how many of these so called peace activists even know what Remembrance Day is ?
Obviously not much as they start there parades on the grounds of the one of our monuments

QM said:
I actually don't think it should be a holiday.  Currently, downtown cores shut down for the parades on 11 November, and in many (most?) schools and offices, a moment of silence is observed at 1100hours. At the very least, this causes young students to recognize that "something" happened on 11 November that is meaningful, and they will remember the solemnity of the moment of silence.

If 11 November becomes a national holiday, all that will end.  The children will be out playing at 1100hrs, and of course won't be bothered to pause and take note of what happened, so in one generation, we will have lost the habit of pausing at 11/11/11.  No one will be at work to peer out their windows at the veterans parade around the cenotaph in their city, or to actually leave their offices to attend the parade, as many do now.  No, 11 November will simply become another long weekend - another chance to have a BBQ or to maybe close the cottage or watch a football game.  The impact will be lost - most Canadians will simply take a day off work and not be bothered to remember or acknowledge why they get to go hunting on a Tuesday, or go shopping in the States for a long weekend in November.  The only people who will put any effort into the day, are us, of course.  But by providing people the opportunity to pause during their schoolday or workday to reflect on the occasion, we keep the memories alive.

In Australia, Rememberance day is not a national holiday, but 11AM is observed at schools, work, with buglers on every street corner in the city central Business District.

But ANZAC day (25 April) is a national holiday, but it isn't treated as a "day off", it is a day of rememberance and mourning of those who died, and thanksgiving to those who served.

Dawn ceremonies attract crowds in the tens of thousands. Hundreds of thousands line city streets for veterans marches (televised live). Even the smallest of towns have ceremonies and dawn services that attract large attendences.

The young children get taught in school a few weeks out from the day about Australia's war history (in particular about Gallipoli), and then observe it with thier families.

Having the day off has not taken away from the focus of the significance of the war, quite the opposite. It serves as a means to keep every generation informed, aware, and thankful of those who have served and sacrificed for Australia.

Australia would honestly not be the same country without this day.

Yes a football match does take place (the traditional Anzac day clash between bitter rivals Collingwood and my beloved Essendon), but not in lieu of reflection, but as a form of it. Navy seahawks deliver the match balls, the RAAF conducts a flyover, a parade of ex-footballers who served takes place, the ADF provides a tri-service honour guard, then 95,000 people become absolutely silent for 1 minute, then the last post is played, and finally the national anthem is sung by some ADF muso's. Having that many people stay silent before 2 of the most bitter rivals in aussie sport do battle is a powerful moment, and nobody in the stadium takes it lightly.

Signed.

I make a point to take time to remeber on Nov.11

I also try to take a moment to remeber our allies deaths as well. Our Commonwealth allies, Americans, French Resistance fighters, Soviets (maybe they became our enemy after..but at the time, they died and bled the same as we did, against the same enemy) and everyone else who fought against our enemies.

681 now....I signed for myself, my hubby (currently deployed in Afghanistan), and our two boys who are very proud of their dad. Me too!

:cdn:

685 Now....Maybe in time for Nov 11 2007

//SIGNED// (703 )

When I lived in Chatham NB as a kid, Rememberance Day was a holiday - we still had services in school... and we were encouraged to attend the officail services at the cenotaph.

I was always at both.

I think that the people who already attend will continue to do so... and that the people who've wanted to attend but couldn't for reasons pertaining to thier employment would finally have a chance to get out there.

It is already a Federal Stat holiday - everyone working for the federal governement gets Nov 11th off - or this year - Nov 13th in lieu.

These days people work Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, Christmas and New years Days in some cases... Thanksgiving.... I don't think a day will matter. Most of Ontario will likely still go to work anyways. They would just have to pay time and a half.

Now while I think this is a great idea... I must have been out of the loop for too long - when I was in military members were forbidden from signing petitions..... has this changed?

muffin

This is a tough one....

My memories of Rememberance Day were going to the Auditorium, where students would put on plays reenacting the different wars, mothers recieving news of their son's passing, women who lost their husband. Readings of poems and war accounts.  Veterns who would tell us their stories.  Thats where as a child I gained my huge appreciation of the who lost their lives for our country.  I can still remember some of those plays vividly 16-20 years later.

modifed:  Also I can agree with the not being able to attend either.  I'm a college student I was stuck in class taking a test last year and was not the least bit happy about it because i was really wanted to attend.

AndrewS said:
This is a tough one....

My memories of Rememberance Day were going to the Auditorium, where students would put on plays reenacting the different wars, mothers recieving news of their son's passing, women who lost their husband. Readings of poems and war accounts.  Veterns who would tell us their stories.  Thats where as a child I gained my huge appreciation of the who lost their lives for our country.  I can still remember some of those plays vividly 16-20 years later.

modifed:  Also I can agree with the not being able to attend either.  I'm a college student I was stuck in class taking a test last year and was not the least bit happy about it because i was really wanted to attend.

I guess the schools can still hold the ceremony. It may not be on November 11th but this year it's a Saturday where there is no school.

Back