• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

Turns out they're very expensive to operate and maintain, DECOMMISSION and require highly trained, highly specialized crews.
At the end of their life, it costs hundreds of millions of dollars to decommission a nuclear facility. Those costs would also apply to nuclear powered submarines. The decommissioning process can last for decades.

Decent article - states all the reasons we've already discussed as to why we can't (shouldn't) build subs here in Canada.

Canada’s next submarine fleet likely to be foreign built as Navy faces timeline crunch, say defence experts​

Canada faces a tight deadline to replace its aging fleet of submarines before it risks losing the crucial naval capability.​

Seaspan has expressed interest in building the new submarines, Irving declined as they have too much work and Davie has refused to comment.

Seaspan has expressed interest in building the new submarines, Irving declined as they have too much work and Davie has refused to comment.
As much as I am a fan of domestic industrial capacity, I am a hard no on building subs here. The learning curve and capital investment is to steep and for no long term benefit as we will not be selling them internationally or making enough to see a benefit. Spend the money to improve our ability to maintain them domestically and focus on becoming exceptional on sensors and weapon systems.

As much as I am a fan of domestic industrial capacity, I am a hard no on building subs here. The learning curve and capital investment is to steep and for no long term benefit as we will not be selling them internationally or making enough to see a benefit. Spend the money to improve our ability to maintain them domestically and focus on becoming exceptional on sensors and weapon systems.
I agree but nevertheless Seaspan says they have capacity and a trained workforce. Hopefully politics don't take priority over common sense.

You might be on to something though, given our domestic production and export of LAV type vehicles...maybe we should have good ships/boats built to the point where we could try exporting to friendly(ish) nations. We used to do that with aircraft - CF104's, CF100's, CF86's and various transport aircraft back in day and even now to a point. However that would mean these shipyards would have to be able to produce the end products in good working order in a more timely fashion than we're accustomed to for Canadian Forces procurement...

I agree but nevertheless Seaspan says they have capacity and a trained workforce. Hopefully politics don't take priority over common sense.
Capacity, sure. But when was the last time Seaspan (or any Canadian company) built subs?

Capacity, sure. But when was the last time Seaspan (or any Canadian company) built subs?
I think we all know that but I can see them coming up with a plan to muddy the waters on this procurement under the NSS going into an election cycle.

In Canada....

this is not important seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

You might be on to something though, given our domestic production and export of LAV type vehicles...maybe we should have good ships/boats built to the point where we could try exporting to friendly(ish) nations. We used to do that with aircraft - CF104's, CF100's, CF86's and various transport aircraft back in day and even now to a point. However that would mean these shipyards would have to be able to produce the end products in good working order in a more timely fashion than we're accustomed to for Canadian Forces procurement...
That was, I believe, precisely the aim given by the PM Harper to the 'tiger team' of DMs who devised the National Shipbuilding Strategy: to have a Canadian shipbuilding industry that could meet most Canadian requirements and would be internationally competitive.

I wouldn't say they committed to building. I would say maintaining...

Submarine building (as I am sure you know better than I) is not like building anything else on earth. I think incredible precision is needed and expertise which Canada may not possess.

yeah I thought we did some in WW2 at least but I dont really think we should do assembly now even if Babcock is partnered up with the 2 SK companies.

We have neighbors on the same continent who build very good subs.
I dont ever see that happening. Could be wrong and maybe we end up with 6 AUKUS subs but even so we will need something in the interim. Or we're back to manning/leasing some from the US. There is a limited supply available on that unless the US starts building 4 a yr

We have neighbors on the same continent who build very good subs.
They are going full-out just to keep their sub force going. Then AUKUS.

We wouldn’t get subs for a looooooooong time even if the US govt approves it.

Back