• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

I believe you're off by an order of magnitude

Could be.

Canada: public school graduates 2002-2021​

Published by Statista Research Department, Nov 23, 2022
This statistic shows the total number of students graduated from public schools in Canada from 2002/03 to 2021/21. In the 2021/21 school year, about 35,480 students graduated from public schools in Canada.

Your number would be more in keeping with this info from the same source

That would reduce the recruiting challenge from 20% of grads to 2% of grads - a much more manageable number

And more reason for optimism.

Thanks for giving me more reason for hope. ;)

So we have to build boats with fewer bunks and more HMIs?

And

If only 1/3 of the fleet is in the water at one time should we be looking at maintaining crews for the entire fleet? How about 2 crews responsible for 3 boats?

That strikes me as a quick way to piss off two crews and be left with one crew or less. I have never sailed besides as a passenger on the Marine Atlantic ferries but don't navy types have a ship identity that binds them together. If you flip them around they will not work as well together.

That strikes me as a quick way to piss off two crews and be left with one crew or less. I have never sailed besides as a passenger on the Marine Atlantic ferries but don't navy types have a ship identity that binds them together. If you flip them around they will not work as well together.
I think he’s talking about 2 distinct crews, but they rotate boats as needed.

Really sucks when you realize that you need three boats operating due to Necessity of Service.

It’s ass backwards to what the Boomer crews do down here. Two crews, 1 boat.

Really sucks when you realize that you need three boats operating due to Necessity of Service.

With new boats you can do that. Funny huh

If only 1/3 of the fleet is in the water at one time should we be looking at maintaining crews for the entire fleet? How about 2 crews responsible for 3 boats?
That sounds like what the MCDVs did (and maybe still do). There are 6 on each coast but only 4-5 were active and had crew assigned to them.

MCDV's don't really do that as much anymore. AOPS is sucking up personelle from those fleets, particularly Mar Techs as they are also electrical motor ships. I'm fine with that though, AOPS is generally more capable and frankly the crew love sailing on them from what I can tell. There are lots of folks who are asking their CM to go to AOPS or JSS. Different look, new ship, new experiences.

Necessity of Service doesn't count if your boat is in dock and missing a shaft.

MCDV's don't really do that as much anymore. AOPS is sucking up personelle from those fleets, particularly Mar Techs as they are also electrical motor ships. I'm fine with that though, AOPS is generally more capable and frankly the crew love sailing on them from what I can tell. There are lots of folks who are asking their CM to go to AOPS or JSS. Different look, new ship, new experiences.

Better bunks, gyms and wifi?

Here's how you get 60 BCAD for Submarines from a Green Government.

And Methanol as the Intermediary.

Easier to handle than Natural Gas or LNG.

Can be manufactured from any Hydrocarbons.

Energy efficient

Burns clean

I wonder if we could use 3D printing for this

Methanol - Yayyyy!

Alberta - Booo!

Cancelled

Buuut ...

Japanese and/or Korean Subs with Ballard Fuel Cells from BC?

Alberta hydrocarbons to methanol and ammonia for domestic and export markets

Methanol powered subs.

$60 billion is about what the Attack class was estimated to cost Australia.

If you want 6 then you make a case for 12. GOC "talks" you into accepting 6 and they are happy. Meanwhile you got exactly what you wanted. Plus then you have a reason to say no to some tastings... "if we would have bought 12 we could have done that"
So in essence Canada goes from bringing a pen knife to a pocket knife to the gun fight that we might find ourselves in sometime in the medium term and that's considered an upgrade by the GoC.

So in essence Canada goes from bringing a pen knife to a pocket knife to the gun fight that we might find ourselves in sometime in the medium term and that's considered an upgrade by the GoC.
The Victoria's as they are currently equipped are no slouchs and a dangerous opponent to anyone. The more modern subs reduce the Achilles heel of conventional subs, so we would be bringing a very capable piece of kit to the fight. Only a handful of navies run nuclear subs and they have their own Achilles heels.

The Victoria's as they are currently equipped are no slouchs and a dangerous opponent to anyone. The more modern subs reduce the Achilles heel of conventional subs, so we would be bringing a very capable piece of kit to the fight. Only a handful of navies run nuclear subs and they have their own Achilles heels.
I don't think it's a question of whether the Victorias are capable platforms or not. It's just a question of numbers. With a total fleet size of four or even six boats how much of our coastline could you protect in case of a conflict with China and/or Russia? What realistic expeditionary offensive capability would you have?

What is the opportunity cost of maintaining a micro fleet of submarines vs other capabilities that may provide you equal or greater overall effect? For example how many P-8's could you purchase and man for the cost of purchasing and maintaining 4-6 SSKs? Certainly a single SSK is a more potent asset than a single P-8, but if a single A26 AIP submarine costs around $816 million USD* and a P-8 cost around $150 million*, then would a fleet of 6 x A26 subs ($5 billion USD) be more useful than 33 x P-8's for Canada?

*unit costs from Wikipedia. As with any military platform costing both numbers should be considered guestimates.

I wonder, after a new fleet is purchased, would it be worth keeping the Victorias as Nav Res trainers?

Also, would lower end torpedos like the British Mk VIII and deck guns still be viable today for targets not worth a Mk 48 torpedo?

I don't think it's a question of whether the Victorias are capable platforms or not. It's just a question of numbers. With a total fleet size of four or even six boats how much of our coastline could you protect in case of a conflict with China and/or Russia? What realistic expeditionary offensive capability would you have?

What is the opportunity cost of maintaining a micro fleet of submarines vs other capabilities that may provide you equal or greater overall effect? For example how many P-8's could you purchase and man for the cost of purchasing and maintaining 4-6 SSKs? Certainly a single SSK is a more potent asset than a single P-8, but if a single A26 AIP submarine costs around $816 million USD* and a P-8 cost around $150 million*, then would a fleet of 6 x A26 subs ($5 billion USD) be more useful than 33 x P-8's for Canada?

*unit costs from Wikipedia. As with any military platform costing both numbers should be considered guestimates.
Subs are mobile minefields and area denial weapons. You could position one off of Japan and China would have to expend about 5 ships and 10 aircraft to find and track it. Pretty only the subs are the offensive weapon of the RCN, the Halifax's and ASW aircraft are defensive most of the time.

Back