• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

AD_4nXdSW5eDL7KgQB8sKM8WOr689CtsR3XyakeDKJE0siMA6iQbnqvZBP3jWVA3xNCRd-G4oAkv9ewpQiM9l3Bt06j3i5G3ph4g2XuRtHV1fvjjousaAEzecwlVaPNkGrkKGbeizqIzFw5Cj80a_Epb0e4LPrNj

Overall assessment: if you want subs cheap and fast this is the option. Also they provide unique AIP/battery options along with the SLBM capability which may or may not be something Canada wants, given these are supposed to be patrol submarines.
Is there anything else that might be launched from or housed in the SLBM cells?

Second, I don't want to change the torpedoes. The Tiger Shark is actually superior to the Mk 48, and the fact that it is foreign is the only reason the US doesn't use it. Ultimately, however, the type of torpedo you have in a submarine is usually dictated by the fire control system you use - so unless we want to change that too, we should stick with the TS.
I was watching this video about Babcock and Hanwha with the KSS III. At the linked time apparently Babcock has the same launch system that will match the Mk 48's. I agree though, Tiger Shark is a better torp from what I can tell.
Is there anything else that might be launched from or housed in the SLBM cells?
No clue.

More importantly (might as well start now!): what do we have twelve of that would be good names for a Sub?
Looking at history, the RCN has neglected its submarine force to the point where there is minimal established precedent to use for a naming scheme.

CC-1 & CC-2.

CH-14 & CH-15.

U-190 & U-889.

Grilse & Rainbow.

Ojibwa, Okanagan & Onondaga.

Victoria, Chicoutimi, Corner Brook & Windsor.

Considering the fact the RCN/Canadian govt did not use the 'Tribal' class names for the Canadian Surface Combatant, I do not think they would use them for the CPSP will use them as well. Obviously the alphabetical and numerical designations aren't going to fly and personally, I think naming everything after towns/cities is bland and uninspired. I would put forward two class name ideas, one named after fish found in/around Canada and one named after prominent Canadian submariners/figures.

"Fish" class - Rainbow, Grilse, Pickerel, Pike, Chinook, Steelhead, Wolffish, Redfish, Skate, Cod, Halibut & Sturgeon.

"Figures" class - William Maitland Dougall, Bernard Johnson, Adrian Keyes, Bertram Jones, etc to name a few.

I have some reservations about using the names of people, per the usual concerns alongside the fact that RCN submariners have never been a very diverse bunch, so that likely wouldn't hold up like you see with the choices for the AOPS. Realistically you could do whatever you like as there is no properly established naming conventions.

If it requires a redesign then we aren't buying a MOTS, we're buying something and changing it (again) and that adds time and cost.
I personally have a hard time believing that Canada will buy wholesale into another nations weaponry ecosystem when we have been established in the US ecosystem for so long, for both logistical reasons and interoperability with current/US systems. Obviously there needs to be a limit to what is allowed to be changed, otherwise we get into an Attack class scenario.

our Navy will have to really up their recruiting skills.

Pardon me while I share an anecdote. Although quite dated I think it may be illustrative.

I was a very junior MARE/MS going through the training process. At some point, an effort was made to convince a few of us trainees that the submarine fleet (Oberons at the time) was the way to go. The submarine recruitment effort was in two parts: a presentation on the cool things that submarines do and a tour of one of the boats.

The presentation was hyped as being super-secret and a classified presentation. We were shown a 20 s video of.... a propeller. Apparently one of the boats snuck up on some ship and took a video of its propeller. Interesting but not the super-secret stuff that would really grab our interest.

For the tour we walked down to the boat. The petty officer on duty was assigned to give the tour. He stunk. His clothes were filthy. The boat stunk and there were plates of half-eaten food everywhere.

"So.." we ask the PO "how do you like serving in submarines" we junior MAREs asked. "I hate it." he replied. "I hate submarines".

We looked around the boat for a while and left. None of us volunteered to join the submarine fleet.

I hope the recruiting efforts have improved since my experience.

I watched this last night and not promoting this particular sub, but thought the video covered some of the systems quite well and will give food for thought to interested people on the subject. I found it interesting the array of weapons they can use from the same tube that fires the Mk 48.

Back