• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Require Advice choosing my 3 Officer Jobs on Application?

Lumber said:
What?! You're kidding! Aren't most applications for MARS only? And then the people who aren't up to caliber get offered Infantry, Pilot, Combat Eng, etc? I was sure this was the way the world worked...

When I submitted my application, the armour captain that reviewed my file seemed rather taken aback that someone would actually want to join the navy.  ;D

Further to my last, I already was a Pilot, and was just CTing back into the Reg F after almost a decade as a Happy Reservist. I switch from one to the other every few years for variety.

Most Int officers, regardless of uniform, are in HQ positions, ie Brigade/Wing/Naval equivalent or higher. We do not have enough Int O positions in Afghanistan to provide steady employment for them all, and their tour lengths would be the same as others in their organizations.

It's hard to give meaningful advice or attempt to give describe what something is like via a forum like this.

There are, however, loads of threads where there has at least been some related discussion, and it might help you to read through as many of them as possible. At least you may then be able to ask more specific questions.

What is it about your three choices, which seem to me to be all unrelated, that appeals to you?

Good point.  Reading “about” a job is a very small part of information gathering.  So I called my local Base and now have appointments to meet w/ three Officers who are actually working in these trades at my local base.  Cheers!

Cas said:
Good point.  Reading “about” a job is a very small part of information gathering.  So I called my local Base and now have appointments to meet w/ three Officers who are actually working in these trades at my local base.  Cheers!

Smart thinking...

Yes, good idea.

Not having any idea where New Minas is, I did not suggest that.

Loachman said:
Not having any idea where New Minas is, I did not suggest that.

New Minas is located 30 minutes east of 14 wing Greenwood. Its the self-proclaimed "shopping center of the valley".............

That still doesn't help.

I've only ever been to Greenwood once, and I never got off of the Argus.

Cas said:

Definitely ask them how the training system/job description varies from what's said in the recruiting site.  At the Air Nav school, we quietly (sometimes not-so-quietly) snicker about how our 12-16 month course is "10 months long."  ;)

Cas said:
Hello.  I ask these questions because the Recruitment Centre has no answers and I don't know anyone in the CF.  My intention is not to waste readers’ time.  So thank you for your valued input.

I am looking at these 3 Jobs:
A.  Air Navigation Officer
B.  Military Police (Officer)
C.  Intelligence Officer...

Are you going DEO? I wrote my CFAT today, Intelligence Officer was not on my list but I asked about it and was told they don't take DEO into Intelligence.

Yes; I'm going DEO.  I have found out pretty much all INT Officers are recruited from those presently serving in the Canadian Forces.  But the selection board will process the application.  There has been one DEO INT Officer position open since May and hasn’t been filled yet.  I was told that the INT Officer trade has very little turn-over and the number of soldiers doing the job is very small as well.  I actually spoke w/ an Army Officer who has been trying to re-muster into this particular trade for a year now but there have been no openings.  It's like playing dice.  Just roll and see what happens.

Back