• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve BMQ - 15 Nov '13

Im entering week 3 of BMQ at Fort York. Seeing many of you folks are doing BMQ at Fort York for your first week, I will give my 2 cents. You WILL some how f*** up, don't take it personal, take it as a learning opportunity to improve. Try your hardest and do not give up. It may seem they are being real hard on you, but it is to see who is weak. In regards to what kit you should bring, my section commander gave us a list of what to bring for this week. I don't know if you will need it since this is week 1 for you but here you go:
Ruck sack to include.
Rain pants
Rain jacket
Thermal tops and bottom
The gortex jacket. (cadpad coat, not huge arctic coat)
Extra pair of boots.
Boot polishing kit
valise to include
Ground sheet
Bivy bag
sleeping bag
Sleeping bag liner
Air mattress in air mattress bag

One Duffle bag with lock to include;
Pt gear (shorts, t shirt, running shoes)
Abolitions kit to include
Razor
Shaving cream
Deodorant
Soap / shampoo
Tooth brush
Tooth paste
Towel
Shower sandals
extra uniform tunic& pants
green army t-shits
socks
underwear
tack vest
helmet
BEW complete (ballistic eyewear, comes in case either green or
black)
gloves mortar (green gloves with leather palm)
leather gloves (cadpat gloves)
canteen
any other civilian kit you need

ALSO NOTE THAT your 500 word autobiography CANNOT be typed even though it says it can. It must be on normal lined paper, double spaced single sided. You cannot have a single scratch on it, must be perfect or you will have to re write it.

DarkInfantry232 said:
ALSO NOTE THAT your 500 word autobiography CANNOT be typed even though it says it can. It must be on normal lined paper, double spaced single sided. You cannot have a single scratch on it, must be perfect or you will have to re write it.

...And so it begins.

That's awesome. I don't think any of us have received our kit yet, but the autobiography bit is a good one.

I frigging hated the Autobiography.

I did my A/B for BMQ and used photocopies of it for every course since.

lidsuu said:
...And so it begins.

That's awesome. I don't think any of us have received our kit yet, but the autobiography bit is a good one.

Make sure it is in blue ink, not black.

DarkInfantry232 said:

Since you mentioned it, I'll probably end up writing my autobiography on paper, and have a printed copy just in case if I'm allowed to use it. How do you know if they only accept written autobiography on lined paper for every unit, does it not vary depending on who you're giving it to?

Yea im confused about the written vs typed bio as well. Cpl Edwards specifically asked for it to be typed up... but then again hes a recruiter and likely wont be involved in the bmq training part.

Sometimes joining instructions will say that you can type your auto biography.  Sometimes you can even get away with using a typed version.

More often than not, especially for newer soldiers taking basic courses, you'll have to hand write your auto-biography.

Even if the joining instructions tell you that typed is okay, nothing stops the staff from deciding they want it hand written, usually giving you a night to do it (then you have fun trying to track down the correct paper etc..)

It's a huge time saver if you hand write your auto biography and bring it with you. If you don't use it save it for the next course.
Also it helps to also write it up on a computer and keep it, periodically adding to it, so when you need to hand write an autobiography for another course you'll have a template to read from.

darknsmelly said:
will we be allowed to bring a small digital camera to document the fun times?

Depends on your staff.

We were encouraged to take pictures on our basic. I also know several people on my sq who have videos of them shooting c6/c9 and throwing grenades.

I have one picture from week 1 before we formed our berets. Oh god haha.

There is a time and a place for pictures though.

The email sent also had recommended readings. a.How Soldiers Learn; and b.Canadian Military Values.
There were no hyperlinks in the mail, Anyone know where these readings are?

Msidd said:
The email sent also had recommended readings. a.How Soldiers Learn; and b.Canadian Military Values.
There were no hyperlinks in the mail, Anyone know where these readings are?
HOW SOLDIERS LEARN

Soldiers learn by doing
Provide the opportunity to practice what they are learning in an environment that is as close to the job environment as possible
Point out how soldiers can immediately apply their learning
Provide soldiers with tools that can be used on the job (aide-memoires, for example)

Soldiers are motivated to learn when the benefit is clear
Show that what is being learned solves a problem or helps to avoid one
Show that what is being learned provides an opportunity of increased status
Show that what is being learned provides professional or personal growth

Soldiers learn by relating something new to what they already know
Use vocabulary and examples that are familiar to your soldiers without being patronizing
Draw examples and experiences from your soldiers to solidify what is being learned in a way that is meaningful to them
Check the backgrounds of your soldiers (prior knowledge, strengths and weaknesses) and adapt your approach and material appropriately

Soldiers must participate in and contribute to their learning
Create lots of opportunities for soldiers to participate (small group activities, group discussions, scenarios that require learners to solve problems, role playing, brainstorming, games and competitions)
Build in numerous opportunities for soldiers to contribute their unique ideas, suggestions, solutions, information and examples
Reinforce independent and innovative ideas through recognition, positive feedback, and/or rewards
“Train others as you would like to be trained”

CANADIAN MILITARY VALUES

These military values are understood and expressed within the
Canadian military, as a recruits you will receive more detailed instruction on this but this reading will assist you with starting your training.

1. Duty: First and foremost, duty entails service to Canada and compliance
with the law. It obliges members to adhere to the law of armed conflict while displaying dedication, initiative and discipline in the execution of tasks. Duty further demands that Canadian Forces members accept the principle of the primacy of operations and that military leaders act in accordance with the professional precept of “Mission, own troops, self,” as mentioned previously. Performing one’s duty embraces the full scope of military professional excellence. It calls for individuals to train hard, pursue professional self-development, and carry out their tasks in a manner that reflects pride in themselves, their unit and their profession. Overall, this concept of duty motivates personnel both individually and collectively to strive for the highest standards of performance while providing them with purpose and direction throughout the course of their service.

2. Loyalty: Loyalty is closely related to duty and entails personal allegiance
to Canada and faithfulness to comrades across the chain of command. For loyalty to endure, it must be reciprocal and based on mutual trust. It requires that all Canadian Forces members support the intentions of superiors and readily obey lawful orders
and directions. However, it also imposes special obligations on all leaders and commanders. Leaders must ensure their subordinates are treated fairly, and prepare and train them spiritually, mentally and physically for whatever tasks they’re assigned. Subordinates must be given opportunities for professional development and career advancement. Downward loyalty further demands that Canadian Forces members
be properly cared for, that their desires and concerns be heard and that their personal needs be tended to, both during the time of their service and after it. This is especially so if they have been wounded or injured in the course of their duties. And this concept of loyalty extends to the immediate families of Canadian Forces members, who are entitled to official recognition and consideration for the important contribution they make to the morale and dedication of loved ones in uniform.

3. Integrity: To have integrity is to have unconditional and steadfast commitment to a principled approach to meeting your obligations while being responsible and accountable for your actions. Accordingly, being a person of integrity calls for honesty, the avoidance of deception and adherence to high ethical standards. Integrity insists that your actions be consistent with established codes of conduct and institutional values. It specifically requires transparency in actions, speaking and acting with honesty and candour, the pursuit of truth regardless of personal consequences, and a dedication to fairness and justice. Integrity must especially be manifested in leaders and commanders because of the powerful effect of their personal example on peers and subordinates.

4. Courage: Courage is a distinctly personal quality that allows a person to disregard the cost of an action in terms of physical difficulty, risk, advancement or popularity. Courage entails willpower and the resolve not to quit. It enables making the right choice among difficult alternatives. Frequently, it is a renunciation of fear that
must be made not once but many times. Hence, courage is both physical and moral. Both types of courage are required because of their essential complementarily and to meet the serious demands the profession of arms makes on individuals. Courage requires
Constant nurturing and is not suddenly developed during operations. Ultimately, “Courageous actions are dictated by conscience, of which war is the final test”. 7

When did you guys that are on the course this weekend hand in your applications?

And also, does anyone have any clue as to when the next BMQ course starts for applicants in 32 CBG? I've heard January, I've heard next November. The latter concerns me a tad bit. I've done all of my testing, my file has been sent back from Ottawa and all that remains is my final interview.

Lol I saw all of you new recruits at Fort York. Remember that long nice sleep you had til 05:30? Get ready by next week to be waking up at 04:00 with fire picket in between.

DarkInfantry232 said:
Lol I saw all of you new recruits at Fort York. Remember that long nice sleep you had til 05:30? Get ready by next week to be waking up at 04:00 with fire picket in between.

I doubt it'll be 0400.

First 2 weekends on mine we were up until 0130, with Sentry duty and reveille at 0530. As we progressed and started meeting timings and not getting jacked up as much we would be done training by 2200, 1hr 30min to clean, study, prep for morning. 2330 lights out and up at 0530 for PT. Sentries maintained at all times during the night (our Armoury is situated nearby a homeless shelter/drop-in rehab).

But, different divisions do different things.

DarkInfantry232 said:

Haha oh yea we saw you guys...in the middle of the night getting snacks from the vending machines  >:D

Godwinlee said:
Haha oh yea we saw you guys...in the middle of the night getting snacks from the vending machines  >:D

I can't believe I slept through that.

Back