• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve BMQ and BMQ-L

Vyscaria said:
Know this is a little late, but I thought I'd offer my two cents.

I went through the entire recruiting process with the unit at fifteen, did the CFAT and other associated tests at CFRC Toronto right after I turned sixteen- the timing was perfect. 32 Svc Bn, my unit, didn't seem to mind that I was fifteen at the time of recruitment. Can't say if it's still the same now, but it's only been a year.

As for BMQ and BMQ-L, you will almost definitely be doing BMQ on alternating weekends, and BMQ-L in the summer as a one-month course. I do not think they offer BMQ-L on the weekends anymore, as there is a field portion involving sleep deprivation, and that (along with other technicalities of the course) doesn't work too well on weekends. Hope this helps.

Depends on your area...my unit just wrapped up running a BMQ-L on weekends at the end of May.

2ndChoiceName said:
Very interesting, Vyscaria. What did you do for your references, since they have to have known you since you were 16?

When I went through the process at the actual recruiting centre, I was sixteen. They said they'd take any references I could give them, so I gave them three people to contact, two of them being teachers at my high school and one of them being my Yoga Instructor. I actually got the distinct impression from that particular group of recruiters that references were not all that important. I could be wrong, of course, but they seemed rather lax about it with me. Maybe I made an impression as a nerdy goody-two-shoes haha! They only contacted one of my teachers, and admitted me to the next stage in the process.

CanadianTire said:
Depends on your area...my unit just wrapped up running a BMQ-L on weekends at the end of May.

Oh, that's interesting. I guess you learn something new every day!  ;) Thanks for the correction.

Hmmmm... I think I'll give the Queen's Own Rifles a call in the near future. When you called them, what did you say? Just the general "Hey I'm thinking of joining when I turn 16, what can I do to prepare/get the ball rolling?" kind of thing? And another thing. I've heard stories of people waiting up to a year for their BMQ, should I expect that, or since I'm literally joining right at the beginning of the school year, should I expect to do it fairly quickly?

2ndChoiceName said:
Hmmmm... I think I'll give the Queen's Own Rifles a call in the near future. When you called them, what did you say? Just the general "Hey I'm thinking of joining when I turn 16, what can I do to prepare/get the ball rolling?" kind of thing?

That's it,  you can even show up at the unit and actually see what it's like,  and make sure it is what you want, etc.  Also,  going to want to ask if they think they will have an open position for you.

2ndChoiceName said:
And another thing. I've heard stories of people waiting up to a year for their BMQ, should I expect that, or since I'm literally joining right at the beginning of the school year, should I expect to do it fairly quickly?

No one can answer that.  It all depends on when you actually apply and when they can process your file,  how fast you can do the tests and hopefully pass them, etc

Thank you everyone for the information, you've been of great help. I do have one more question. How are the non-DP1 qualified soldiers utilized in training exercises and things like that?

Don't expect to be going on on excercises until you at least have your BMQ and BMQ - Land courses complete,  even then what you will be doing could/will be some what limited.  When you talk with the QoR recruiter this will be another thing to add to your list of questions.

Okay, so I called the Queen's Own Rifles today, and I asked the Pte who answered the phone what I could do, and specifically asked about the paperwork to get. He told me to go to CFRC Toronto and get it. Should I have asked to speak with a recruiter or is that something that the main recruiting centre deals with?

Not all reserve units have anyone who actually works there as a recruiter, and in most cases where they do, that person simply fills in recruiting as one of several hats. Your best bet is to physically walk in and get a bit of face time with someone. This is a time of year where on the one hand recruiting stuff should be happening, but on the other hand where not many people are around due so summer courses and taskings. Be politely persistent.

As for how new guys are used before being ualified- don't expect to take part in exercises. fter BMQ they may have you come out if you're free to provide manual labour or, if you're lucky, enemy force roleplayers. But you're not considered to be of any real use from a training standpoint until your DP1 is done.

2ndChoiceName said:
Okay, so should I just go down to Moss Park Armoury and say that I want to join?

Bone up on the trade first and learn as much as you can, and then yes.

Haha yeah, this has been a dream of mine for a long time, and I'm pretty sure I've learned about as much as I can without actually talking to those who are currently in the trade. My local library has run out of books on the subject and I've spent hours on this forum reading everything I can, so I'd say I'm probably about ready to go down there. Who should I ask to speak to? The CO of the unit or what?

No...  you won't be speaking with the CO of the QoR for recruiting.  You will speak with their Recruiting MCpl(unless he's away) or whoever is around.  Seeing as the units are stood down(except for some full time staff) you may have to wait until Sept when they stand back up to be able speak to people in the unit during a parade/training night.  Seeing as that you are still 15 you have lots of time so not a big deal for you to wait.  Also,  just wondering did you just finish grade 9 or grade 10?

Ok, so should I expect a front desk and just ask whoever is there who I should speak to about recruitment? And I just finished Grade 10, I turn 16 at the end of August. And since you mentioned full time staffing, once I finish high school, I plan on doing an OT-CT to a Reg force medic, but I've heard that can take a long time and is a waste of the QoR's time if I am in for only two years and then I'm gone. So, I was thinking that I would ask the QoR for a full time position at the Armoury for a while in order to support myself and get some more experience, and then in a few years apply for my OT-CT. Is this plausible or are full time positions mostly only given to higher ranking, older members?

2ndChoiceName said:
Ok, so should I expect a front desk and just ask whoever is there who I should speak to about recruitment?

Yes

2ndChoiceName said:
And since you mentioned full time staffing, once I finish high school, I plan on doing an OT-CT to a Reg force medic, but I've heard that can take a long time and is a waste of the QoR's time if I am in for only two years and then I'm gone.

IMO,  if you are only planning on just doing 2 years then wanting to go Reg Force it is a waste of their time and money.  As well it can delay you doing what you really want(Reg Force Med Tech), as a CT into the Regs can take awhile.  If you want Reg Force when you finish High School,  then apply for the Reg Force during your grade 12 year.

2ndChoiceName said:
So, I was thinking that I would ask the QoR for a full time position at the Armoury for a while in order to support myself and get some more experience, and then in a few years apply for my OT-CT. Is this plausible or are full time positions mostly only given to higher ranking, older members?

There are few full time positions,  and they would be held by qualified members(some jobs might not be for Inf also, ie clerks), not a Pte Recruit with no training. 

Yes, other people have told me it would be a waste of their time, and that's why I was saying I would remain in the QoR for a few years after graduating. The main reason I want to go into the Reserves right now is because I want to get a taste of military life (and the Infantry, because I want to be an Infantry medic, but that's a whole other can of worms) and see if it really is for me. And yeah, I would only be asking about the full time positions once I am fully qualified, which I hopefully will be by the time I graduate.

2ndChoiceName said:
Yes, other people have told me it would be a waste of their time, and that's why I was saying I would remain in the QoR for a few years after graduating.

If you are wanting to be in the time while you are in High School and a couple years after,  then it can be worthwhile for you and the unit.

2ndChoiceName said:
because I want to be an Infantry medic, but that's a whole other can of worms

*Med Tech in a Infantry unit(from what I've seen it isn't a full time job, ie you may be in the unit in the afternoons but working base hospital/MIR, etc in the mornings) and going out into the field as needed(which may not even be with a Rifle Coy)

That is a job that can take awhile to get into,  if you do.  All depends on positions opening,  and who is qualified at the time to go.  I'll leave it too those in the Medical world to give you the actual details as I'm just a outsider looking in on that more or less.  I believe there is a thread about wanting to be a medic attached to the combat arms though.

2ndChoiceName said:
And yeah, I would only be asking about the full time positions once I am fully qualified, which I hopefully will be by the time I graduate.

Again,  you still may not be qualified or in the trade that they require for full time.  Also like I said a unit will have a small amount of full time positions,  you may be able to get a tasking once in awhile but you could have 1-2 openings but 8 people wanting it.  In short don't expect full time employment during the year as a Class A Reservist.

Yeah, I've spoken to people on this forum and in person about the Medic thing, I just thought I would mention it to give some context. Thanks for your advice on the full time employment as well.

-2C

What do you learn on the BMQ (L) ? Do you learn to use the Carl Gustav and frag grenades?

Also on my trade page website for Medical Assistant it says Soldier Qualification instead of BMQ (L), what's the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back