• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Callouts Compulsory Transfer to PRL Ottawa

54/102 CEF

Inactive
Reaction score
A while back the Army published a directive to move Reserve pers on callout who weren't in their local unit area and aval for parades, to the Primary Reserve List (PRL).

Without going into the why or wherefore of parades were never a part of the deal, if we were supporting the greater need, has anyone experienced a case like this that folllows

In August of this year, my unit sent me notification that I am moving to the PRL and when they tried to activate the transfer to PRL the PRL said we won't take him as I have less than a year on my contract (7 months to go) - my boss suggests we're probably OK until early winter 2012 then beyond that they can't currently forecast. So I could be a Class A Res with no unit. That's beyond strange.

So - any ideas of what to do to get under someones admin net - this assumes I won't return to my orig unit.

I'm in the Ottawa area

Implications - if I wanted to trigger res pension - who does my admin to start the release / activate the pension payment as current unit says - not them?

CLS PRL? NDHQ PRL?

Anyone?

All ideas are welcome.

In the meantime - with all pension calculations being complete I'm going to get all the chits in order to ensure all RRSP is transferred to Pension people so that a cheque can start as soon as possible (with Immediate Annuity status) after Res Army or who ever says - he's OUT and best wishes to both sides. :)

I am not sure as to current regs (CFAO's/QR&O's), but in my days, compulsory transfer between reserve components was the prerogative of the CDS only. So check them out first.

That was many years ago and at the time, my redress started the reserve system looking into a change of regs to "permit better personnel management" supposedly. My thought was that they were wrong - but who am I to understand such high workings of the military? - since it was originally set at the CDS level for a reason: In Canada, these compulsory transfer were historically used to manage wartime mobilization/post-war demobilization.

This is not a transfer between components, but rather between units or elements of the Reserves.  Between components is Reg to Resor Res to Reg; from PRes to Sup Res would be sub-component.

In this case, a Reserve unit CO is trying to clean up his O&E - pers who do not parade or participate in the unit prevent him from recruiting or promoting in behind.; the solution is to transfer the individual to the NDHQ PRL (or to the employing organization).  The individual remains in the Primary Reserve.

The NDHQ PRL, being a creature of NDHQ, has decided to create numerous obstacles in transfers (for example, refusing transfers if less than 365 days reamin, or if individuals are on a TCat).

In your case: you remain on your unit's establishment.  There is no "limbo"; if the PRL has refused to accept you, you're still on your old unit's books.

Check your MPRR in EMAA - it will show who you belong to.  And at the end of the day, whether they like it or not, they have a responsibility to administer you.

DAP of course is right.

and the one year min rule is a good one admin wise.  Transferring people around on short term call outs is a waste of time.  By the directive everyone that went on summer taskings would be transferred to PRL. Not the intent.

The policy was brought in to keep the long term Cl B from clogging the unit positions.  People used to show on unit strength for years and no one currently serving with the unit knew them.  I had one years ago that was sitting in Yellowknife while our unit was in Halifax.  No one even remembered her until I got a call saying they were sending her back and needed to know who she was to report to. Prior to that I ran into a person with the unit cap bade on and I didn't recognize him or the name.  When I checked at the unit it turned out he hadn't paraded with the unit in 10 years but was still on the books and working elsewhere.

Not sure about the TCat rule - thought you had to be medically fit to get the callout in the first place??

CountDC said:
Not sure about the TCat rule - thought you had to be medically fit to get the callout in the first place??

You are attempting to apply logic to NDHQ.  (And, to be fair, sometimes a member may be medically fit, start work on a long term class B, have a medical condition arise... and then be on a TCat and thus have their transfer declined by the PRL until the issue is resolved).

To the original poster:  If you need a hand, feel free to send me a PM and I'll dig up some references and links for you.

Back