• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve MATS TECH

aspiring_recruit

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any reserve MATS techs, specifically in the Vancouver Area?
Also, from what info Ive seen in the CF RC MATS Techs do alot of welding, how much of the MOC is welding and Steel fab, and do they take into consideration civvie tickets? and what kind of schedule does the training follow? (ie. weekend block courses)

As far as I know there are MAT techs no longer in the reserves.  You may find some ex reg force guys there but they are not actively recruiting them.  As far as civvy qualifications, someone in my unit has been trying to get his equivalency for MAT tech now for a few years with no luck yet. 

Is the unit you are interested in actually looking for MAT techs? 

We have a Res Mat Tech, but as Brin mentioned, they were a Mat tech in Regs and then joined the Res.

I'm joining a combat engineer unit, but I've been a welder/fabricator for about 8yrs, just thought it might be an option. If not many MAT techs in the res, who works on all the heavy equip? for say the res Eng

i was talkin to my father who is a mat tech in the reg force, i asked him if there was any reserve mat techs and he said no becasue the traning for it takes way to long (approx 9 months for regs)

aspiring_recruit said:
I'm joining a combat engineer unit, but I've been a welder/fabricator for about 8yrs, just thought it might be an option. If not many MAT techs in the res, who works on all the heavy equip? for say the res Eng

A Reg F Mat Tech with an Area Support Unit.  In 41 CBG, most of the maintenance is done by the ASU (in Calgary, at least)  The techs are either Class B Res or Reg.

are civilian contractors ever used?
the training is only 9 months? I did more than that just for my entry level welding, never mind the upgrading and steel fab since. the must be quite invoved to contain all that, plus all the other materials you have to learn on top of it all, or maybe do they have people specialize after the initial 9 months into say steel fab, and textiles, and other materials?

Im almost positive the training is more then 9 months ... Infact i believe the training is almost as long as the FCS techs...

And to answer your question Civilians are occasionally contracted out to work. But there are specific jobs that are only allowed to be handled by mat techs.

Back