• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Occupations - Summer Course Not Required.

Cossack

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been looking forward to applying for Naval Reserves at the Unit in Toronto.
I e-mailed the unit about positions they were looking to fill and was responded to the next day with the following.

"
Thank you for your interest in the Naval Reserve and HMCS YORK. We are currently looking for cooks, musicians, naval communicators, naval combat information operators, resource management support clerks, and maritime surface and sub-surface officers. All of those positions are part-time from September to April, and then full-time during three of your first four summers (May to August)."

While I would love to join the Reserves (Specifically the Naval Reserves), it is improbable that my full time employer would allot me such time((I am a Trim Carpenter).

I am interested in any information about any occupations primarily in the Naval Reserves that would not force me to take such a substantial time off of my full time employment.

*I am also open to Army/Air Force but Naval is my first choice*.

Thanks for reading

You will be required to take some of your training full time over the summer. Most courses however are not May-August but rather, June-August. There are a bulk of courses that can be taught at the local unit part-time over the weekends throughout the training year however there will be a time where full-time courses are required. If you can't meet your training requirement, there's no need for them to keep you around.

Most employers are reasonable and understand the commitment to your country, if not try and sit down with them and explain the advantages of receiving this training.

http://www.cflc.forces.gc.ca/acf-apc/index-eng.asp
Here is a website where you look up the Reservist Job Protection Laws for your province and also gives you information that you can discuss with your employer to show them the advantages of having  a member of the Canadian Forces on their roster.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I will definitely speak to my employer.
Since the the summer courses are all but mandatory I also have to ask a follow up question.

Are the summer courses held at the unit or within the general proximity?

I read a bit of info stating that all naval reserves must finish their reserve summer training at Borden.
Personally I have no problem going for a trip (I am located in toronto) for a summer.
However my fiance on the other hand would definitely need convincing.

If indeed all Naval Reserves in the CF are trained F/T during summer out of Unit, is it the same for Army/Airforce?

Cossack said:
Thank you for the quick reply.

I will definitely speak to my employer.
Since the the summer courses are all but mandatory I also have to ask a follow up question.

Are the summer courses held at the unit or within the general proximity?

I read a bit of info stating that all naval reserves must finish their reserve summer training at Borden.
Personally I have no problem going for a trip (I am located in toronto) for a summer.
However my fiance on the other hand would definitely need convincing.

If indeed all Naval Reserves in the CF are trained F/T during summer out of Unit, is it the same for Army/Airforce?

Air Force, I can't speak for.

Navy are trained at the Naval Reserve Training Divison Borden for their BMQ full-time over the summer.

Army have the option of full-time over the summer either in the local area or at least within the province, some courses require travelling to places like CFB Gagetown in New Brunswick. Or, some courses are available at your home unit, taught P/T on the weekends, generally every 2nd weekend.

Some of your training that IS mandatory in order to meet your training requirement is only available over the summer, F/T at other CF facilities or units.

But as I said, training that is P/T is done either at your unit or within the city/region combined with members of other units. F/T training can be within province, or inter-provincial being hosted at other Canadian Forces Bases.

You can search "Reserve Training" on the site, there's plenty of information regarding your questions. Alternatively, you can call the unit you wish to join or your local Recruiting Centre and a person there can answer your questions.

I'm not so sure that NAVRES BMQ is run out of Borden anymore.  I thought there was a thread here regarding that.

Also, a lot of NAVRES courses are actually run out of CFFS(Q) in Quebec City, or the fleet schools in Victoria and Halifax.

Dimsum said:
I'm not so sure that NAVRES BMQ is run out of Borden anymore.  I thought there was a thread here regarding that.

Also, a lot of NAVRES courses are actually run out of CFFS(Q) in Quebec City, or the fleet schools in Victoria and Halifax.

Could be. I know they stopped training RegF Navy at NRTD in January of 2011? Didn't hear anything about the reserves though.

Naval reserve training isn`t in Borden any longer, and the past summer it was held at Shearwater, NS. I think the rumor is that it is going to be in St. Jean next summer.

Previous discussion, reply # 4 and # 6.

As posted, NRTD closed fall 2011 and summer 2012 training was hosted in Shearwater NS.

Next summer's BMNQ will be hosted in QC at CFFS(Q). Just to clarify this is NOT St Jean.

As for further summer training, it will depend on the trade you chose.
While hard sea trades training is conducted mostly on the coasts,
most support trades training is held in Borden.

Back