• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Pension- Merged

Director, General Compensation and Benefits and one of his staff provided us an update on the CF Pension and the coming into effect date (CIF) of Part 1.1 (which is sometimes referred to as the Reserve Pension Plan).  The rumours of a delay are a fact for a number of good reasons, some of them having to do with the present RPSR system we use to pay our soldiers.  This coming week a CANFORGEN will be issued that will indicate a new CIF of March 2007.

DGCB and his staff have been working hard to get Part 1.1 of the pension in place and as a result of the new CIF have developed a number of mitigating strategies to ensure that Reservists who had intended to leave the military between the original CIF of January 2006 and the new CIF are not disadvantaged.  DGCB will be issuing a follow up message to the CANFORGEN that will detail these mitigating strategies.

Please ensure that your chain of command is aware that the CANFORGEN will be coming and that DGCB and his staff are doing everything they can to ensure no soldier is disadvantaged as a result of the new CIF

Thanks for the heads-up, geo - it's much appreciated. 

Not to take away from that, but it's interesting that an "unofficial" internet site is our best source (only source, at this point) of DND pension info.  I'm grateful for whatever we get via Army.ca, but at the same time it would be good if there weren't such a void of info on the DND side.  Why isn't this stuff coming down the actual chain of command itself?

Rant over ... looking forward to the first glimpse of that long-awaited CANFORGEN, by whatever means possible.
Thanks again for the updates, geo.

Sounds interesting.  I went to look right away  ...  typed in "forces.ca", and it sent me to "forces.gc.ca" site instead.  I've been looking for a reserve forum in there, but nothing so far, even on the A-Z list.  The Comm Res and Nav Res have sites, but can't find an over-arching Res F one.  Do you happen to have a link?  If there are pension updates in there, I'd like to send the link to colleagues.  Certainly nothing on the CFPMP site yet.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/home_e.asp

Thanks again.

try this link....
http://armyapp.forces.gc.ca/army/forum/forum/active.asp

Good link, geo - thanks.  I hadn't looked that deeply into the Land Force side, to find that forum.  There's more info in that discussion than there is here, but both are good to monitor. 

I guess the bottom line is, keep all your records and get professional financial advice.  For my part, I have my regular financial advisor standing by to help me come up with a plan for this pension, but he and I are both just waiting to hear some details from DND - frankly, it's embarrassing. 

Good thing the Government brought in universal access to pensions for all government employees retro to 1981 ... gee, do you suppose our pension eligibility will be backdated to that date?

Good thing none of us were counting on a pension when we got into this game. 

Thanks again for the insider's info, geo - it's MUCH appreciated, and it's all we've got!

R 241255Z NOV 05
FM NDHQ ADM HR MIL OTTAWA
TO CANFORGEN
UNCLAS CANFORGEN 176/05 ADM HR-MIL 092
SUBJECT: PENSION MODERNIZATION
1.  THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO PROVIDE AN UPDATE TO ALL CF MEMBERS ON THE STATUS OF CF PENSION MODERNIZATION
2.  IT WAS PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED THAT IMPLEMENTATION OF ALL NEW PENSION ARRANGEMENTS WAS PLANNED FOR 1 JAN 06
3.  ESTABLISHING A PENSION PLAN FOR A GROUP OF PEOPLE - RESERVISTS-WHO HAVE NOT HAD PENSION COVERAGE IS A COMPLEX PROCESS AS IS REVISING THE PROVISIONS TO THE EXISTING PLAN.  IN ADDITION TO DEVELOPING THE POLICY AND CASTING IT IN THE HIGHLY TECHNICAL LANGUAGE OF REGULATIONS WE MUST DEVELOP ADMINISTRATIVE SYSTEMS AND PROCESSES TO SUPPORT THE NEW ARRANGEMENTS AND CONTRACT FOR THE RESOURCES TO ASSIST US IN THIS WORK.  REGRETTABLY, DUE TO UNFORESEEN DELAYS IN ESTABLISHING ALL OF THE NECESSARY ADMINISTRATIVE AND REGULATORY ELEMENTS, THE IMPLEMENTATION DATE OF 1 JAN 06 CANNOT BE MET
4.  CONSEQUENTLY THE COMING INTO FORCE OF THE RESERVE FORCE PENSION PLAN AND THE MODERNIZATION CHANGES TO THE CURRENT PENSION PLAN, AS WELL AS CHANGES TO THE RESERVE FORCE RETIREMENT GRATUITY, ARE NOW TARGETTED FOR MAR 07
5.  WE RECOGNIZE THAT THIS DELAY MAY CAUSE CONCERNS FOR INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE PLANNING TO RELEASE FROM THE CF BETWEEN JAN 06 AND MAR 07 AS MEMBERS MUST BE IN THE CF ON THE DAY THE NEW PENSION ARRANGEMENTS COME INTO FORCE IN ORDER TO BE SUBJECT TO THEM
6.  ACCORDINGLY, PERSONS WHO ARE NOW MEMBERS OF THE RESERVE FORCE AND WHO WISH TO BECOME PLAN MEMBERS MUST REMAIN MEMBERS OF THE RESERVE FORCE (PRIMARY RESERVE, CADET INSTRUCTORS CADRE, CANADIAN RANGERS OR SUPPLEMENTARY RESERVE) UNTIL THE PENSION ARRANGEMENTS TAKE EFFECT.  THIS MAY REQUIRE THAT MEMBERS WHO REACH COMPULSORY
RETIREMENT AGE (CRA) TRANSFER TO THE SUPPLEMENTARY RESERVE.  ADDITIONALLY, IT WILL BE NECESSARY FOR THESE MEMBERS TO HAVE AT LEAST ONE DAY OF PAID SERVICE ONCE THE NEW PENSION ARRANGEMENTS COME INTO FORCE IN ORDER TO MAKE AN ELECTION TO COVER PAST SERVICE.  SPECIFIC ADMINISTRATIVE DETAILS WILL BE PROVIDED IN A SEPARATE MESSAGE
7.  SIMILARLY, MEMBERS OF THE REGULAR FORCE WHO WISH TO BE SUBJECT TO THE NEW ARRANGEMENTS MUST REMAIN ENROLLED IN THE CF UNTIL THE NEW PENSION ARRANGEMENTS COME INTO FORCE
8.  DESPITE THIS UNFORTUNATE DELAY, MEMBERS SHOULD BE REASSURED THAT PENSION MODERNIZATION AND THE DELIVERY OF ENHANCED PENSION BENEFITS REMAINS A PRIORITY FOR THE CF LEADERSHIP AND WE ARE COMMITTED TO BRINGING THE NEW ARRANGEMENTS INTO FORCE WITHIN THE REVISED TIME FRAME
French text is available on request.

Geo,
I admire your optimism!  I wish I had sufficient evidence to feel the same way.  I don't think the pension is a "sure thing" at all - the departmental record on this one speaks for itself.  How many more times are we going to see it delayed, while at the same time being reassured that it's considered a top priority?

At first glance, this latest CANFORGEN looks like it offers a plan to take care of people who have to release before the pension comes out:  just transfer to the Supp Res, and then have some paid service after the pension comes out.  But on closer inspection, it's not much of a plan.  If you have transferred to the Supp Res because of CRA, you will likely have to get a request for extension beyond CRA in order to have paid service after the pension comes out.  That request has to go to the CDS ... what are the odds of approval, and how long would it take, and what unit would want to go through the admin effort just to help out a soldier who needs a pension?  Ditto for people who are medically released - if you don't meet the medical reqrs of the CF, you are not eligible for Class A, B or C service once your accommodation is over, so how can you have any paid service after the pension comes in?

Hmmm! 

If it is ever rolled out, that's great for the people who can take advantage of it - I'll be happy for them.  In the meantime, Rifleman62's plan seems to have about as much chance of seeing us into old age as this pension does. 

Excerpts from Don Martin's, National Post article of Thursday, November 17, 2005:
"Now is the holly jolly moment when the generosity of former prime minister Jean Chretien starts giving with gusto as the MP pension plan passes along the full benefits of a massive 2001 pay increase to the 55-plus post-parliamentary set."
"MPs voted to eliminate a tax-free expense allowance effective in 2001 while boosting their salaries to $131,000 from $68,000. That pay hike is now five years old. And with benefits calculated on the MPs' top five years of earnings, this sets up a juicy pension payout surge."
"A basic backbencher first elected in the Liberal wave of 1993 (more than 70 are still there) would've pocketed a minimum of $57,829 if they had retired last spring when an election seemed imminent. But if that same MP retired now, they'd get $63,258. And if they can hang on for another year, the magic of the new pension calculation, which is indexed for life, will hand them $68,941 per year."
"The benefit surge gets even more dramatic for ministers with five years of Cabinet duty on their resume. The $86,300 pension they would've had last spring will soar to $102,000 next year."
"And if that sounds kinda lucrative, consider those lucky MPs sitting at their political golden age: 54 years old. If a veteran MP retires before their 55th birthday, even if it's only a month or two before the big day, they get a severance bonus of half a year's pay."

Note the $63,258 pension after less than 12 years (1993-2005) of service.

We will probably need the advice of a tax lawyer/accountant, if and ever, the pension comes into effect. Has anyone had the experience of getting transfered from Supp Res to the P Res? The process is absolutely full of pitfalls, and takes forever- Med, Security, qualifications etc. My understanding is that the CDS is attempting to get the former CLS, Lt Gen Jeffries off Supp List and into the P Res to assist with transformation and has "discovered" the problems. He will be fast tracked of course. I personally am getting my ducks in order to launch a complant through the chain of command. A complant, not a Redress. It will be based on my Redress, signed by the CDS years ago that stated that the Reserve Pension was a "PRIOITY" Trouble is priorities in the CF are routine matters, its just a phrase. The following is from the CFPMP web site, and is an update of a previous document.

November 2005
This fact sheet is for Reserve Force members who are considering buying back past service or earnings under the CFSA pension plan.

Tax issues arise when you buy back  past service or earnings
Current contributors to the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act (CFSA) pension plan can buy back eligible service that they don't now count as "pensionable service". When the new CF pension provisions come into force in 2007, Reserve Force members who become CFSA contributors or participants will also have an opportunity to buy back.
When you buy back, your pensionable service and/or earnings increase, which in turn, increases your pension benefit. As a result, you may be able to retire with an unreduced pension at an earlier age. Therefore, it's usually to your advantage to have as much pensionable service and earnings under the CFSA pension plan as possible.
The details of buyback for Reserve Force members are still being worked out in the development and approval of the regulations and administration systems. In the meantime, however, it's a good idea to consider some of the tax issues that arise when you decide to buy back past service or earnings.

If you're buying back past service or earnings since 1990
You will be able to buy back past service or earnings related to any years since 1990, as long as you have enough corresponding amount of unused RRSP deduction room. If you don't, you can create this deduction room by cashing in existing RRSPs, or using that money to buy back service.
Under Income Tax Act rules, a Past Service Pension Adjustment (PSPA) results whenever you buy back pension benefits for service since 1990. For example, if, between 1990 and now, you had been contributing or participating in the CFSA, you would have already had Pension Adjustments (PA) for pension earned at the time. That PA would have limited how much you would have been able to contribute to your RRSP.

What's a PA?
In 1990, the federal government revamped the tax system as it applies to retirement savings. To promote tax fairness between members of an employer-sponsored pension plan and non-members, the government brought in the PA.
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires that, each year, employers calculate a PA for each employee based on his or her participation in the pension plan. The government uses the PA to determine an individual's RRSP deduction limit for the following year, and communicates the RRSP deduction limit on the Notice of Assessment sent after individuals file their annual income tax returns.
Under plans like the CFSA, the PA represents the value of the pension built up during the year, not the amount of employee or employer contributions.
See CFPMP Fact Sheet-called Pension Adjustment-for more information on the PA.

How's the PSPA applied?
If you had been a CFSA contributor or participant earlier, you would have received a PA for each year of participation since 1990. After the new provisions come into force, any buyback will trigger a PSPA, to make sure that the retirement savings system stays in balance, under tax law.
The PSPA reduces your RRSP deduction limit retroactively, just as if you had received a PA for every year since 1990 that you are now buying back.
The CRA must approve-or, in the language of the CRA, "certify"-a PSPA for service since 1990, which you wish to buy back. If you do not have enough unused RRSP deduction room, or cannot create it by withdrawing funds, the PSPA will not be approved. If the CRA doesn't approve the PSPA, you can't buy back the past service or earnings.

Examples of how the PSPA works
Here are two examples of how the PSPA could affect RRSP deduction room and an individual's ability to buy back past service.

Example 1
Sgt Linda Bloggins joined the CF as a Reserve Force member on May 1, 1996. She's been serving on a full-time basis, and becomes a contributor under CFSA Part I on the coming-into-force date-for the sake of this example, March 1, 2007.
In January 2008, she wants to buy back her 10.84 years of service before the new CF pension arrangements came into force. Linda has made contributions to her RRSP since joining the CF but did not make the maximum permitted contributions.
Linda's unused RRSP deduction room as of  December 31, 2007 $60,000
PSPA related to the buyback of 10.84 years of service                 $53,000
The CRA will approve Linda's PSPA.

Example 2
Sgt Max Muggle also joined the CF as a Reserve Force member on May 1, 1996. He's been serving on a full-time basis, and becomes a contributor under CFSA Part I on the coming-into-force date-for the sake of this example, March 1, 2007.
In January 2008, he also wants to buy back his 10.84 years of service before the new CF pension arrangements came into force. However, Max contributed the maximum permitted to his RRSP each year.
Max's unused RRSP deduction room as of December 31, 2007 $0
PSPA related to the buyback of 10.84 years of service                 $53,000
In this case, the CRA won't approve Max's PSPA. The CRA allows to carry forward a negative balance of up to $8,000. Therefore, under tax law, Max will be allowed to buy back the past service as long as he withdraws at least $45,000 from his RRSP, or transfers all or part of it to the CFSA pension plan to pay for the buyback.

For the sake of these examples, we have used Reserve Force members who are joining CFSA Part I. The PA and PSPA will also be generated for those who buy back under CFSA Part I.1.

Which RRSP contributions will the PSPA affect?
The PSPA won't have any impact on your RRSP contributions for 2005 and 2006.
The PSPA affects your RRSP deduction limit in the year the PSPA is approved by the CRA. For example, if your buyback application is approved by the CRA in 2007, your 2007 RRSP deduction limit will be immediately reduced. The 2007 RRSP contributions you will have made based on your 2006 Notice of Assessment may need to be withdrawn or may not be tax-deductible.
Individuals who have unused RRSP contributions (that is, contributions made to the RRSP but not yet deducted) may have to make withdrawals from their RRSPs to avoid paying penalty taxes.

If you're buying back pre-1990 service or earnings
PAs were introduced in 1990. Therefore, a buyback of your pre-1990 years of past service or earnings isn't affected by and won't change the amount you have contributed to your RRSP. There are, however, limits on the tax-deductibility of the amount you will be asked to pay for that bought back service or earnings.

If you're buying back service or earnings that combine years before and since 1990
Whether your buyback application includes pre-1990 or post-1990 service or earnings, the CRA must still certify the PSPA for your service since 1990 for you to be able to buy back your pensionable service or earnings.

For more information on PSPAs, tax-deductibility of RRSP contribu-tions, and other tax-related issues Call Canada Revenue Agency's Automated Information System for Individual Tax Filers at:1 800 959-8281
(press * on your telephone keypad to speak with an agent)
For more information concerning the new provisions Visit the Web site of the Canadian Forces Pension Modernization Project,
on the Internet, at: http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dgcb/cfpmp/
For more information concerning your current pension benefits and entitlements Visit the Web site of the Director Accounts Processing, Pay and Pensions / Pension Services,
on the Internet, at http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/pension/

The information in this fact sheet covers proposals that have been developed by the Canadian Forces Pension Modernization Project. However, further work must be completed before the new pension provisions are finalized and given legal effect through the regulations. Members should be aware that the proposals are subject to change during this finalization process. In the event of any discrepancy or misunderstanding, pension obligations and entitlements will accrue in accordance with the applicable legislation.

this link will give you the above post:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dgcb/cfpmp/docs/word/PSPA-FS_Nov05_e.doc

An update for mbrs who are being medically released between now and the Coming-Into-Force (CIF) date: 

Although CANFORGEN 176/05 doesn't say anything specific about the impact on such mbrs, I have been advised by a DND office that the last sentence in para 6 of the CANFORGEN was meant to refer to pers being medically released.  The sentence is:  "SPECIFIC ADMINISTRATIVE DETAILS WILL BE PROVIDED IN A SEPARATE MESSAGE ".  You wouldn't know it to read it, but that sentence alludes to (among other things) the pension administration of mbrs who will be med rel between now and CIF. 

Apparently, the pension office is aware of the predicament that these mbrs are now in (i.e. potentially missing out on their pension because of the administrative delays in its implementation), and is working on "a policy" WRT that situation.  No word on what the policy will be, exactly, but we can apparently expect another CANFORGEN in Jan or Feb on that issue. 

Happy new year (maybe even happier!).   

Bridges:

A little bird told me that members being released medically would be permitted to transfer to the Supp Res "for pension purposes" - that is; rather than a release, they would be posted to the Supp Res; upon CIF of the pension plan, they would parade the one required day, be enrolled in the pension plan, and then released.  There may be a CANFORGEN sometime early this year detailing the process.

Note that DAOD 5002-4 (Supp Res) states that members released 3b are "eligible [for transfer to the Supp Res] on a case-by-case basis subject to DMHRR’s approval"; I suspect a blanket approval will be issued.

DAP

So if a person served Reg force time in the 70-80's and received a return of contributions (no pension payment) will he be able to buy back his Reg force time and apply it to the new pension if he's still serving in the Reserves today?

Recceguy:  a good question.  And I'm afraid I don't know the answer- and the CFPMP website is sparse on details for that situation.

My hunch would be that you may be able to buy back - but of course, there's been compound interest since you got that money back... it may be very expensive.

There are a number of wrinkles in the pension buyback that I am awaiting with bated breath, though I'm not entirely convinced that they will make their March 2007 timeline.

DAP

Recceguy, you should be able to buy back your previous service.  Part of the modernization project was to delink pensionable service from a members terms of service and is part of the overall process to focus on "CF Service" vice Regular and Reserve.

As DAPatterson mentioned... the buyback won't be cheap and as I mentioned several months ago, you should begin putting money away in order to get used to the idea of paying your pension contribution and to begin to build up your RRSP in order to provide a lump sum payment in Mar 07.  It will all help.

dapaterson said:
Bridges:

A little bird told me that members being released medically would be permitted to transfer to the Supp Res "for pension purposes" - that is; rather than a release, they would be posted to the Supp Res; upon CIF of the pension plan, they would parade the one required day, be enrolled in the pension plan, and then released.  There may be a CANFORGEN sometime early this year detailing the process.

Note that DAOD 5002-4 (Supp Res) states that members released 3b are "eligible [for transfer to the Supp Res] on a case-by-case basis subject to DMHRR’s approval"; I suspect a blanket approval will be issued.

DAP

DAPaterson, there's one hitch with that plan:  people who are not medically fit are not eligible for Class A, B or C service, as per ADM(HR-Mil) Instr 20-04.  So, how will they be able to have that one day of paid service after CIF ???  Please ask your little bird.

Ah, the $64000 question - and my bird, sadly, does not have that information.

Though I suspect there are ways around such restrictions - order the people out for a medical exam?  or something of that nature...

Para 2.7 of the 20/05 instruction reads (in part):

The approving authority shall ensure that a reservist who is employed on Cl “A”, “B” or “C” Res Svc meets the age, military occupation specifications, medical, dental, rank, security clearance and physical fitness requirements for the posn and the CF component, sub-component or element in which they are to serve.

Thus, if these pers are to serve for one day in the Supp Res to ensure their eligibility, then the approving authority for the Supp Res service (ADM(HR-Mil) himself, perhaps?) might be able to permit such service and still remain within the rules.

But again, let me stress, this is all just supposition on my part.

Where there's enough of a will, there's a way.  If DND wants med rel mbrs to have access to the pension, a way will be found - and you've identified a couple of options already.  The only question is, what is DND's intent? 

I'm involved in the admin of several mbrs pending med rel, who will be most interested to see that CANFORGEN when it comes out.  In the meantime, it's almost like a departmentally-imposed "stress test" for them.  Pension ... maybe.  On the bus, off the bus. 

All this being said, DND still has advantages over some other workplaces I can think of!! 

I think this Reserve Pension issue is a disgrace. We are left hanging and guessing. If there is a somebody who is responsible and accountable,  that somebody should be straight with us and immediately tell us the truth. From the website as applicable for full time Reserves:
Changes to Part I of the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act (CFSA)
Who is eligible to join?
• Regular Force members
• Reserve Force members serving full-time for extended periods, after 1,674 paid days (55 months) of full-time Reserve Force service in a 60-month period.

Should a member have achieved at least 55 months employment out of any 60 month consecutive period over the qualifying time, the member will join the full-time plan (Part I). This means that many Reserve Force members will join either Part I or Part I.1 as soon as the changes come into force and may, if they are vested, be able to elect for prior pensionable service provided they are active members and have earnings after CIF.

Is a Reserve mbr who puts in 60 months of full time service, then goes to the Supp List for, say for 6 months to the CIF date, still going to be eligible for Part I ? Is it 60 months anytime in the whole period they served in the Reserves or the last 60 months of service?

As I stated before, I am getting my ducks in order to write a complant  ( not a redress as this would take 2 years), through the chain of command, requesting the letter of complaint be forwarded to the CDS and Minister for action. I have found my previous redress that was written on 10 Jul 1998, and replied to by the CDS on 7 Jan 2002  (almost 4 years!!!) It was" strongly supported by the CLS, and the Director General, Reserves and Cadets. " The CDS stated " I concur with the essence of the findings and support your redress, however I do not have the authority to grant redress on this matter." The letter futher stated that "the CFRB recommended that the process of implementation of a Reserve pension plan be accelerated as much as possible to ensure that Reserves are entitled to fair and equitable treatment as compared to their peers from the Regular Force."

I have various documents to support the letter of complaint including the FMC ( Force Mobile Command) Reserve Compensation Study Final Report 1985;  the Reserve Personnel Integration Planning Team Study of 31 Jul 1991;  Classes Of Reserve Service report of 22 Jul 1992, " Building The Total Force Team";  the Reserve Compensation and Benefits Issues report of 19 Jan 1994.

The Reserve Pension continues to be a work in progress with limited success. It has been the subject of years of costly meetings, development of strategies for staffing, development of the aim, setting priorities, policy statements, submissions, resubmissions, preparation of legislation, regulations,orders, and procedural instructions, further study, expanded study, related study and staffing, special commissions, and finally little action on implementation . ( sorry bridges!!!).

This failure to implement this core issue creates an impression amongst Reservists that DND lacks commitment. If DND cannot role out the CFPMP, which affects both Reg F and Reserves, then get someone who can.

So, if the CDS is powerless......

Gunner said:
Recceguy, you should be able to buy back your previous service.  Part of the modernization project was to delink pensionable service from a members terms of service and is part of the overall process to focus on "CF Service" vice Regular and Reserve.

As DAPatterson mentioned... the buyback won't be cheap and as I mentioned several months ago, you should begin putting money away in order to get used to the idea of paying your pension contribution and to begin to build up your RRSP in order to provide a lump sum payment in Mar 07.  It will all help.
At the bank you can get a loan at a lower interest rate as long it's for buy back in a pension fund.
It's us long serving memebers who have to worry how much it's going to cost.
I joined in 76 and at last tally in 96 I had the equivilant of 13 yrs service but that was under the old system,if they go for the day for day I expect to be close on 20yrs and now that's serious coin to buy back.

Back