• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve units training jr Officers at the unit level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
...but WTF do i know? said:
I'm not the one who started the pissing contest. That was the "Directing Staff"

As for your point, you can't really compare the dynamics between off'r/NCO in the RCAF to that in the infantry.

.......and I didn't start any pissing contest. You just can't admit you may not have it quite right.

Oh, and you still haven't answered my questions.

Grimaldus said:
Not when they were poopy troops that had to be the ones getting dressed.
I've seen a few goofy troops turn into good officers- same guys I jacked up, poked in the chest or seen crying into their pillow.  I don't have any lack of respect for them as officers due to their performance as troops- everyone has a role to play.

I'd rather be lead by a young LT who's had a platoon train and mentor him how to be an LT over someone who's just learned their crap from phase training.  People make stupid mistakes, it's the weak self-conscious soldiers who don't let that crap go and use it to forever colour someones service.

When a body of soldiers revives a leader who they already have a poor impression of (be it because he was a poopy troop who CFRed, or they got to observe him first learning what's what as an OCdt), it makes life unduly difficult for that officer. It's better if the troops have no impression, and judge the leader on his actions that to know that this guy was a sack of poo last time they were around him. When you sit a bunch of guys (officers and troops) down, put them at the same level, make them all students together, then you're starting that relationship off as them all being equals. This is a bad start. There's a reason we have a separation between officers and NCOs.

recceguy said:
Jnr Officers need to become crew commanders and patrol commanders before becoming Tp Officers. I'm not talking about collective training either. They do this with subordinate as drivers, gunners, members of recce patrols etc.

What about the guy that is to become a MCpl? You don't think he should lead troops from his unit on training before he attends course? Should he benefit from the help he can receive and not a young officer? Throw him on course cold, I guess. If they can't make it, they can paint rocks.

I guess I've just always been used to everyone acting professional and mature. Giving their best to ensure everyone benefits from the training, no matter who or what the goal of said training is.

People that can't do that are sad and useless to us and their team mates.

So, you're saying there's no difference in the relationship between Officers/troops and the relationship between NCO's/troops? Really?

Have you ever been in a regular force unit (i'm going to guess no). If so, did you see 2lt's puttering around the lines learning what's what from NCOs and other officers?

Usually, by the time subbies get to their Regiment in the Reg Force, they are fully trained. Continuation training carries on and they take part with the troops.

I've seen it time and again in over 23+ years in the Regs/ Res. If they have an issue, it's not a big problem and the young NCOs take their stumbling as being a part of a learning process.

It's the respect that the MCpl's, Snr NCOs have for the Officer that set the tone and the young troops will see it.

No loss of face for the Plt O/ Tp O. Besides, it helps bond the command team with the men as well.

As for untrained Officers waiting for courses....it's training. See two sentences up.

I was in the Reserves and did training alongside some subbies. When the training was done, they got the respect that they deserved from everyone.

Seems that you are the only one with the issue and not the people that count, like the Battle Captain, OC or CO.

Now on to your reported post. You aren't answering the questions put to you and are dodging.

You don't like the site? Leave so I can bin this thread.

The Army.ca Staff

When a body of soldiers revives a leader who they already have a poor impression of (be it because he was a poopy troop who CFRed, or they got to observe him first learning what's what as an OCdt), it makes life unduly difficult for that officer. It's better if the troops have no impression, and judge the leader on his actions that to know that this guy was a sack of poo last time they were around him. When you sit a bunch of guys (officers and troops) down, put them at the same level, make them all students together, then you're starting that relationship off as them all being equals. This is a bad start. There's a reason we have a separation between officers and NCOs.

We've been putting MCpls, Sgts and WOs on the same course(s) as young Officers for years and the effect has been good. Both sides get to know what the other has to go through. There has been no outstanding ill effects from it. These Officers oft times come back and lead those same MCpls, Sgts and WOs without difficulty or animosity.

Nerf herder said:
You don't like the site? Leave so I can bin this thread.

The Army.ca Staff

Actually, the question was addressed in the original post - "I'm not talking about collective training where the the pl comds/coy comd's are the PTA." Seems the "DS" here are better at typing and flaming than they are reading.

Actually, the question was addressed in the original post - "I'm not talking about collective training where the the pl comds/coy comd's are the PTA." Seems the "DS" here are better at typing and flaming than they are reading.

and with that, you are now on listening silence and this one is locked.

The Army.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back