• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve University Reimbursement Program

If I understand your post correctly, you are planning on spreading out one year of classes over two years. The $2000 per year isn't a baseline, but rather it is half of your tuition to a maximum of $2000 per year. If you are paying $3000 per year out of your pocket over $6000 in one year, then you do gain an extra $1000 reimbursement that way.

Sapperian said:
If I understand your post correctly, you are planning on spreading out one year of classes over two years. The $2000 per year isn't a baseline, but rather it is half of your tuition to a maximum of $2000 per year. If you are paying $3000 per year out of your pocket over $6000 in one year, then you do gain an extra $1000 reimbursement that way.
This is true. I assumed the student could find $4000 in eligible expenses per academic year. Education Reimbursement covers more than just tuition.

The policy for Primary Reserve Education Reimbursement is detailed in CBI 210.810 ( http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pub/cbi-dra/210-eng.asp#sec-801 ). Of note:

1. Reimbursement is for courses successfully completed in the academic year not when the course started or tuition was paid;
2. The CBI identifies the academic year as it is defined by the educational institution (most commonly Sep - Aug, but not always).

I have a question.

If a CLS A reservist has an approved ILP for the educational year of 15/16 and completes the educational year as an an reservist but CT's to the reg force before September 2016 (a member cannot claim it before September of the following year), would the member be able claim it as an Reg-F member even though  they were approved as an Res-F member? If not this there any way to port it over?

While I don't have an offer in hand this is a question I have and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do or if I am SOL?

I've searched for site:army.ca ILP reservist and couldn't find anything. I also debated posting this in the Mega Q/A for CT's but I'm not sure if this more of ILP question or more of CT question.

I know this isn't going to be a very useful answer to you, so I apologize beforehand.

When I was a Class A reservist, I received educational reimbursement for 2 years.  My clerks gave me the contact information for the appropriate office, and I was able to call them directly to get things arranged & figured out.  I was also able to ask my questions directly to the people administering my reimbursement.

That was years ago, and I certainly can't remember names and telephone numbers now.  I'd recommend you ask your clerks for that information, as being able to speak to them directly made everything run pretty smooth.  (I imagine that's going to be a question that only they can give you a really definitive answer on.)

Based on the wording of the CBI (210.801) and provided you did not CT "during the academic year" in which the courses were being completed, then you most likely would be able to submit your claim when the time comes.

As mentioned above by CBH99, I'd bring this question up to the local PSO Office that approved your ILP in the first place.  They should have an answer for something like this.

runormal said:
I have a question.

If a CLS A reservist has an approved ILP for the educational year of 15/16 and completes the educational year as an an reservist but CT's to the reg force before September 2016 (a member cannot claim it before September of the following year), would the member be able claim it as an Reg-F member even though  they were approved as an Res-F member? If not this there any way to port it over?

While I don't have an offer in hand this is a question I have and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do or if I am SOL?

I've searched for site:army.ca ILP reservist and couldn't find anything. I also debated posting this in the Mega Q/A for CT's but I'm not sure if this more of ILP question or more of CT question.

Contact the local PSO office and raise the question; they will have up to date information.

Hi guys!

Im not sure if I'm in the right section, but I have a question about the reimbursement of university fees in the reserve. I heard we can get 2000$ for each year of university (if we have been present during that year at our unit). But I heard reimbursment is only allowed once we are trade qualified. Is that true, or can it be once we are bmq/bmq-l qualified?

I wonder because it's going to take me around two years to get trade qualified (two summers + half a year since they told me I'd start in January/February of this year) and I'll have graduated just before I get on my trade course, so I don't know if I will be allowed to apply for it at the end of my degree and after my trade course?

I know the reimbursment plan is not to be taking for granted, and far in the future for me, but I'm just looking for some insight. Also due to the nature of my question I'd like to clarify that I'm not joining for the money, I have other (better) reasons.

Thanks for any information you can give me!

The current policy is at: http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-210-misc-entitlements-grants.page

Look for CBI 210.801 - Education Reimbursement - Primary Reserve.

Thank you for the link dapaterson! The policy is clear, I got my answer!

Back