• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Resisting the Opposition’s Urge to Abandon the Afghan People

Flanker said:
Democracy is the power of majority. Right?
Now, Democracy is the power of the people.  There is more than just a nuance to that.  Now, the majority will "rule", but not at the expense of the minority.  That's why we have an independent judiciary in Canada, for example.  Same goes for anywhere else.  If it were simply "majority rule", then things like the proposed mixed member proportional thing proposed for Ontario is a bit dangerous.  It puts MPPs in Toronto who are not responsive to a group of people, but only to their parties.  This is a dangerous thing.  I like parts of the US democracy for it's mix of a one person=one vote (for president) and a one "area" one vote (for senate, and to a varying degree, congress).  If we voted for Lieutenant Governors of provinces, for example, and then voted for our LOCAL and RESPONSIVE member of provincial parliament, for example, that I could buy.  But this mixed up craziness is dangerous, and potentially harmful to the democracy in Ontario, where special interest and single-issue parties such as the Greens and the Marijuana party could get in.  And not responsive to anyone, for that matter.

I found this on Celestial Junk - My favorite Blog  ;D
http://cjunk.blogspot.com/

Thought you guys might enjoy it.

Comment Link

She wore a long black veil to cover her mind by Charles Adler Sept 27/07 “That’s over the top Charles. We never said Karzai was a puppet of the Canadian military,” said the NDP’s Alexa McDonough. Over the top?

Alexa McDonough in a radio interview on Adler on Line, was delivering the “scoop” that much of the messaging in a speech delivered by Afghan President Hamid Karzai in the Canadian House of Commons last year, was prepped for him by Canadian military officials. She insisted that the messages we got weren’t necessarily those that the people of Afghanistan would want us to have. By any objective standard, the NDP is calling Karzai a puppet. What’s over the top is not my characterization of the NDP position. What’s completely out of bounds and over the line is patently false charge that Afghanistan’s first democratically elected leader is a puppet of Canada’s Department of National Defense.

Read the whole thing - it's a goodie
;D

Flanker said:
Do not call this democracy and election. As of now, it is a puppet show supported by coalition forces.

MOD WARNING

We have some esteemed members on this site who helped set up and watched those very elections...........................and they say it was transparent and fair.

So they were there, and if you were not, than STFU or I will drop the hammer.

Back