• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Response's To "Ruxted On The Media's Handling Of Cpl. Boneca's Death"

392 said:
Hmmmmm.....sounds like a good explanation, but I still don't get how young people signing up get misled into believing we're here for peacekeeping? I mean, all one has to do is read the general job descriptions at the CFRC to realize that peacekeeping isn't the primary focus of the CF. Take the Infantry for example, To close with and destroy the enemy. Doesn't sound too peacekeeping-ish to me.

Well put.  But, expanding your point, I don't think young people actually DO believe that they're signing up primarily as "peacekeepers".  I've worked with a multitude of young men and women who have lugged around rifles, MGs, anti-armour weapons, gone on raids, hasty attacks, deliberate attacks, done field firing, etc., etc. and I daresay none of them are under any misconception that it was all about some vague end-state called "peacekeeping".  I'll allow that I'm not well positioned to speak for those soldiers who aren't combat arms, of course, but I'd be pretty comfortable betting that my colleagues in CSS, signals, medical, and so on are similarly clear on what it means to be a soldier.

As someone said, this whole "peacekeeping" thing really only exists in the minds of those who don't actually understand soldiering.  "Classical Pearsonian" peacekeeping is, at best, one of many tasks soldiers can be given and, at worst, a relic-term of a bygone era, like "Cold War" and "Warsaw Pact".

annon223 said:
I agree with Tony K. 

What a suprise. ;)

annon223 said:
Perhaps you should set your collective sights on them for making such attention-grabbing statements in the first place?

We did.

annon223 said:
but the media were just doing their job - reporting the story.  When a friend or relative quotes directly to the media that a soldier was "misled", or "hated" it there - it's going to make headlines, period. 

See Edward's post here.....and reflect.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/47110/post-410183.html#msg410183

Anon,
I know you[ or a real close co-worker] are now lurking as a guest,
13:26:09 Viewing the topic Response's To "Ruxted On The Media's Handling Of Cpl. Boneca's Death".

Why not stay on?

annon223 said:
I agree with Tony K. 

The media are only reporting what they were told by family, friends and relatives - there were many, many quotes and even some on-camera interviews given to various outlets.  Some of these statements may seem negative to the crowd here, but the media were just doing their job - reporting the story.  When a friend or relative quotes directly to the media that a soldier was "misled", or "hated" it there - it's going to make headlines, period. 

Perhaps you should set your collective sights on them for making such attention-grabbing statements in the first place?

Fair one, they were doing they're job in reporting the news. The issue I, probably most of us, have is HOW it was reported. For example, in yesterdays London Free Press, the front page, bold lettered banner headline was 'He Was Misled'.

I would expect this of a cheapo, second rate tabloid newspaper. Not your normal broadsheet. The media needs to realise that how, not what, they report has a huge influence on public opinion, and sensationalist comments like this, without the added proviso that at the end of the day any comments he may or may not have made to the press are only hearsay, do a great disservice not only to the media as an institution, but the military as well.

Annon223,

It's pretty hard to take you vy seriously based on yr profile...i.e. you signed up today, and there's the square root of f***-all to tell me what or who you are.  Nonetheless, I will risk answering yr comment.

annon223 said:
I agree with Tony K. 

The media are only reporting what they were told by family, friends and relatives - there were many, many quotes and even some on-camera interviews given to various outlets.  Some of these statements may seem negative to the crowd here, but the media were just doing their job - reporting the story.  When a friend or relative quotes directly to the media that a soldier was "misled", or "hated" it there - it's going to make headlines, period. 

Since I know neither yr age, or profession, I don't know how much you've experienced the grief of losing a loved one.  It's not nice, it's not rational.  The first stage involves a lot of emotion, and it's vy common to lash out at anything and everything that may have been associated with the death.  I've been there too many times, and as much as I know about this irrational aspect, it's repeated every time.  Damn: comes from being human.

But the point is it is emotion, raw and bleeding.  It is not news.  Reporters who insist on quoting the "bereaved widow", or the "grieving children" should not be shot...for a first offence.  Emotion, recrimination, and grief are not news, they are sensationalism.  And reporters who are in a great hurry to get that into print are of no value to society.  In a week's time, when the harsh reality has settled in on Cpl Boneca's girlfriend, roomie, etc.  will they feel the same way?  I will not speak for them, but it won't surprise me if they have reevaluated their opinions.  Will those same reporters come again to hear it.  Uh-uh, not sensationalist enough.

And as regard yr last comment, I would never "zero-in" on someone in the first stages of grief.  They are allowed their emotion, however irrational and harsh. I will "zero-in" on those who seek to exploit their grief, and put everything out of proportion at the expense of the deceased and his family.

BTW, it wasn't immediate family that was interviewed, it was friends, and fathers of friends (which is pretty pathetic).

Signalman150 Great post...I totally agree. ( not that you need my approval) I'm just not as eloquent with words as you are....

I'm getting a real kick out of the subtle insinuations against reservists. In an article in a local news paper today I read something that just made me shake my head.

The father of Boneca's girlfriend, Larry DeCorte, questioned the wisdom of putting reservists on the front line. "Mentally, they weren't ready for the hand-to-hand battle and all this other stuff" he said.

Umm, what?  Just how are you in a position to decide what mental state our soldiers are in and whether they are ready or not for battle? Looks like someone needs to stay in their lanes.

As for people suggesting we don't know what were getting into or that stupid peacekeeper debate, keep your help. Go find something else to crusade.

OK, so family, friends, and uncles and aunts don't count for quotes.  Listen, when you get strong words like that from people who were in actual verbal or e-mail contact with the soldier, it'll stir controversy as much as you like it or not.  Just don't blame the media for reporting this - that's their job.

annon223 said:
OK, so family, friends, and uncles and aunts don't count for quotes.  Listen, when you get strong words like that from people who were in actual verbal or e-mail contact with the soldier, it'll stir controversy as much as you like it or not.  Just don't blame the media for reporting this - that's their job.

who are you exactly ?

annon223 said:

Bullpoop!!!  If thats true than why couldn't this wait untill after the lad was brought home, thus allowing more time for research and also, just for good old common decency?

It would then be NEWS not "controversy".

Yes, but where was the context?  Where was the background information?  Where was the (even cursory) investigation as to what training was conducted?  Where was the effort to ask how Reservists are selected for deployment?  Where were the interviews with soldiers who had previously deployed, again to place things in context?  Where was any effort to place these "friends" comments in context, when the actual immediate family had not been heard from?  Where was the sense of decency when the media chose to publish private e-mails released by a rather dubious "friend"?

The media did NOT do their job.  Instead, they leapt upon the controversy like ravenous jackals, with little regard for even the most basic of research or fact-finding in their haste to report "strong words".  A bit of responsibility would have gone a long way here, yet we saw very little.

Bruce,

You should direct your comments towards the people that made the comments, not the media that reported them.

Anon223,

Did you at least do the research of reading the Ruxted editorial before you jumped in here?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/47109/post-410344.html#new

I knew Tony. I’ve kept my comments to myself until I could calm down my outrage over the media coverage of his death. We weren’t great friends, but buddies. Other soldiers know what I mean. I spoke to Tony a couple weeks ago out at one of the FOB’s. Not much said, just that there was a job to do, some bitching about the heat and the food, reminders that it would soon all be over, discussions of plans upon returning to Canada, the promise to drink some beers together on our way home. Normal soldier stuff. There is nothing in his first and last letters as published in the newspapers to suggest he was any more miserable than any other soldier, in any army, in any theatre in the world. It is our right to bitch and complain. A soldier who is not doing either, is upset or distressed and needs attention. A soldier who is not scared out there is a liar or crazy. As a soldier you do not ignore fear, you manage it. Welcome to war.

I have been in Kandahar for 6 months, and I'm sure I don't like it here anymore than Tony did. I don't know many, if any who do like it here. The infantry and those supporting them out the wire have it especially tough. Little rest, little in the way of comforts and the most exposure to the dangerous stuff. Generally we like our jobs, and being operational, that’s why we do this. We play for keeps in the big game. No one here comes wanting to die, or to do stupid things that will get you killed. Each and every one of us know the random nature of war. Everyone here knows someone who has died or been wounded or knows someone who does. It touches us all in some way. Shit happens. I don’t think anyone truly enjoys being away from their families or comforts.  But this is why we join. To serve Canada and her foreign policy in whatever capacity is determined by the politicians. We have a mission, a mission carried out by soldiers, doing the legally sanctioned business of our elected government. Sometimes we like it, sometimes we don’t. Nature of the business. That’s the flag waving part of it, but there are other reasons we do this that people who have never served cannot possibly understand. I will not endeavour to explain it to you if you have not.

More importantly, to live the life of a soldier with the values that so many use as punch lines at parties. Duty, honour, courage and integrity. Soldiers aren’t perfect, and sometimes these attributes are forgotten once in awhile, but at the core they are always there. Without them our military would disintegrate. Those who criticize have the freedom to do so only by the grace of those who would give their lives for the stability and physical isolation from most threats that we enjoy in Canada. He, along with every other Canadian Soldier in this mission knew exactly what to expect when we got here. Not once did we EVER get told this was a peacekeeping operation. Anyone here who thought this was a peacekeeping mission is or was most certainly completely out of touch with reality.  

Tony was trained as a Canadian Infantry Soldier and was doing the job for which he had been trained. The role of the Infantry is to close with and destroy the enemy. Our reason to be is not to kiss babies and hand out candies and blankets. We do that anyway, because we’re decent, generally caring Canadian boys and girls, but that’s not our primary function. To quote General Hillier “We are not the public service of Canada. We are the Canadian Forces and our job is to be able kill people.” There are problems on this mission. Find me one operation that has ever occurred problem free and I will recant my statement to that and humbly apologise for my long winded rant. Hell, I’ll leave the army. But good luck with that. It’ll never happen.
The soldiers on the ground, whether it’s pretty or not are doing their jobs as ordered and as required, some well, some not so well but they’re here.

As for Tony being a reservist. So what? We receive excellent training and to suggest otherwise is irresponsible reporting, but that’s nothing new. Could training be better for both Reserve and Regular? Sure. Could the Reserve and the Regular force get more money and equipment for training? Sure. The Federal government and NDHQ seem to be doing their best to address our needs as a military. It is now a vast improvement over tours in the past, and over the last dozen or more years. The recent announcements seem to reflect the seriousness of the commitment of our leaders to the military and through us the security of the Canadian people. As a Reservist myself, I take offence to the suggestion that reservists should not be deployed. Look at the Reservists throughout history who have distinguished themselves. Look how many have done so within the last 15 or so years. When the guy dragging you, blood soaked and wounded is a Reservist, the guy being dragged doesn’t think of that. He doesn’t care. The examples go back to each war or situation we have found ourselves in as a country.

I am a professional soldier, as are countless numbers of other reservists who work hard to ensure that they maintain a high level of skill and proficiency so we can augment and support our regular force brothers and sisters. It is a mindset and a way of life that one does not have to live day in and day out in order to embody what professional soldiering entails.

I am sure there is a long line up of Reservists and their Regular force counterparts in Afghanistan and elsewhere who would argue openly with anyone who would suggest differently. Mr / Ms reporter ; Please, suggest to my face or that of my military family that we do not possess the mindset or the skills needed to engage in combat. I don’t think you have the parts or the qualifications to make such a statement. You do however have the parts and the audacity to drag the family, friends and colleagues of Tony Boneca through the mud so you can sell papers and airtime and generate controversy. You do your country and your military a disservice but also have undoubtedly cause Tony’s parents a great deal of unneeded and unwanted stress. . You also do the general public a great disservice because you corrupt the truth and cloud the heroic activities of our soldiers, and you fuel the rhetoric spewed forth by the anti everything wackos out there.

As has so often happened in the media with respect to our military, I have lumped all media into one category. I will however offer the caveat, a courtesy if you will that isn’t generally afforded to the military or it’s members, as has been demonstrated by the ‘media machine’ these past few days. The caveat is this. You’re not all bad, or the way I describe. Some of you even seem to love us, some of those that are embedded and grow to care deeply for and respect the soldiers on whom they are depending for their very lives and safety.  There are a few bad apples and armchair warriors that put pen to paper or make ludicrous unsubstantiated statements and cause the mistrust I feel for your profession right now.

The media as a profession should be ashamed of themselves. Why not self police? If the reporters responsible for this latest reporting can look in the mirror in the morning after the disgusting and shameful coverage your have made of Tony's death, then I would go so far as to suggest that they are of questionable integrity and moral fibre.

You as a public voice have a responsibility to report properly, to research and deliver a balanced article with facts. CTV Newsnet or one of the CTV affiliates I believe, referred to Cpl Boneca as an Artillery soldier. Wrong. Bombardier Mansell and Capt. Goddard were Artillery soldiers. Boneca was an Infantry soldier attached to 1VP. A simple oversight by a media who was less interested in reporting properly than it was getting the story out. Nice work. Trivial example maybe, but accurate and demonstrative, yes. Another example; The ‘collective You’ talk about 3 of the 9 soldiers killed on this tour being Reservists. You fail to point out that 2 of the 3 were in the same vehicle when it was blown up by an IED outside of Gumbad. Misrepresentation of or omission of key facts?

Allow Tony's family to grieve in private. Not only honour, but for a change respect the wishes and dignity of his grieving parents and honour the memory of a soldier who died the way a soldier should. Not in an unfortunate accident, not in a roadside bomb, but in combat. These are my opinions/observations and mine alone. I don’t often say a lot in here, but I am compelled to now.

Well done Tony. I'm glad to have known you. You were a nice kid with a bright future. I am certain you are in that fabled place that all warriors go, where our fallen soldiers by whatever mechanism they perished, watch over us all. I would like to have seen what you may have accomplished later in life as a result of your soldiering experiences. I was looking forward to the beers we talked about during the trip home. To your family other friends, and your Regiment, I offer you my most sincere condolences and I wish you peace and quiet to reflect on the life of your son and friend. :cdn:

Cheers,

HH

annon223 said:
Bruce,

You should direct your comments towards the people that made the comments, not the media that reported them.

There's a distinction to be made here... the people who made the comments are dealing with the loss of a friend/relative, and are entitled to be a bit emotional about it - even angry at the CF about it. That's their perogative and IMO perfectly acceptable.

The media are professionals, paid to do a job. It's our opinion that many of them are doing it poorly.

Big difference.

Edit: HollywoodHitman, I'm tempted to lock this thead after your post... what more could possibly be said? Well done, you honour Cpl. Boneca's memory with your efforts.

Tony Keene, annon223, we all know you have vested interests in the 'Media' so perhaps you can go back to this post and perhaps justify your defence of the way that the Media is handling it?  Try and tell us again how this is not 'sensationalism', but 'honest' journalism.

Signalman150 said:
Tony Keene,

I don't want to pee on yr parade square, but here's a couple of important indicators for you that MIGHT help you understand some of the frustration being vented on is board.  I note that yr profile lists you as a Maj/public affairs, but I'm not sure it that means yr a res. major who works for the media as a civilian or if that's your full time mil occupation.

Now, to the gristle: when the story broke relating to the comments by Mr. DeCorte, his daughter, and Cpl Boneca's roomie, there were multiple pieces all over the Yahoo Canada website, both CP and CBC.  They examined, trumpeted, and reaffirmed the opinions of three people not even directly RELATED to Cpl Boneca, and used headlines which essentially suggested the Canadian Government had failed its soldiers and LIED to reservists.  That WAS NOT fact-based reporting Tony, it was hearsay.

I will further note, that the headlines for these pieces were on the Yahoo Canada homepage, (i.e. the front page) in a constant succession of new sensational headlines, such as "Military brushes aside accusations that fallen reservist was ill-trained".

Ah, but then Cpl Boneca's father speaks up, refuting what has been previously said about his son.  THAT never made the Yahoo Canada homepage.  Indeed the "headline" winds up in the sidebar of their secondary and tertiary stories, and is not there today at all, (notwithstanding the fact it wasn't posted until late in the day yesterday).  The sensationalist crap, such as "Reservist was misled by Military", gets front page headlines and stays up all day Tuesday.  The story from the boys' father--THE REAL STORY--gets buried on a virtual backpage and is only up a few hours.

That's absolute crap.

It's not just Yahoo.  The Edmonton Journal had a leader on it's front page yesterday, directing the reader to page 3 where more than a half page was devoted to DeCorte's hearsay.  This morning there was a quarter-page article on page 5 with the father's statement.  Tony, please don't try and tell me that's balanced reporting.  It most certainly is not.  It is an attempt by the media to vilify the Canadian Forces, of which you are a part.

The press sensationalized something that wasn't factually based, and tried to smear the CF generally. In doing so it--at least temporarily--called into question the loyalty, commitment and bravery of Cpl Ton Boneca.  More importantly their negligence and shoddy reporting added to the stress and agony of the family Cpl Boneca left behind.  

Funny how any apology or 'Retraction' is buried in the back somewhere.....leaving all the sensationalist trash fresh in the Public's minds, as we know they aren't likely to find the apology/retraction hidden away in the bowls of the paper.

There have been a lot of excellent posts in this thread.  I’ve got a lot to get off my chest.

I think a lot of the points raised here go beyond the issue of Cpl Boneca's death, to the larger and ongoing relationship between the CF, the media, the government, and the public.

I find this relationship a fragile one, and it is sometimes hard to keep cool judgement, because for most of us on this board we are either in, returning from, or going into harm's way, and if not us, close friends and family.
But the relationship is an important one, a vital one, yet many Canadians don’t appreciate the damage that could be visited upon our society if that relationship were to break down.

I agree with Teddy Ruxpin's assessment of how many members of the media operate. There are still some ethical reporters out there, but they are fighting a system that often favours the unscrupulous.
Tony Keene, I see you have put thought into your arguments, but I disagree with much of what you say.

It think we are fighting at least five ‘sins of the media’: sensationalism, inaccuracy, politicization, anti-authoritarianism, and disinformation. These are separate but intertwined.

SENSATIONALISM - I don't agree with reporters approaching families of the deceased immediately, whether or not, as Tony Keene suggests, those families support us or not. This doesn’t apply only to us – civilian victims of crime and accident usually receive the same treatment.
They are approached when the grief and shock is at its height, because in my opinion, that is when they are most likely to say something ‘interesting’ – i.e. sensational. Emotions are high such as anger, grief, regret, guilt, and many people in those situations will lash out at something, anything, to make sense of it all.
Chances are in two months, even if those victims continue to hold the same opinions, they will be expressed in a less dramatic fashion, so they hold less ‘pizazz’. The story will have retained its substance, but lost its excitement. To the back page the story goes, or more likely to oblivion. Any long-term pain visited upon the family by insensitive reporting is ‘collateral damage.’
Dignity is what separates news from infotainment, and I feel as a society we are losing that battle.
Was there ever a time when there was respect for the family of the dead? Am I dreaming? Was there ever a time when people looked at the family of a slain soldier or police officer and said, “Allow them to grieve, they owe us nothing more, how can we help them?”
Isn’t it ironic that at a time when the public should be rushing to help the family, or at the very least leaving them alone, that they are obliged to issue statements to defend their dignity?
When did this change? Is this the new norm?

INACCURACY – Picking up the phone and checking facts has become more of a ‘luxury’ in the age of 24 hour news. Wire services and electronic media think in terms of minutes, not hours, and if they can get the punchier 50% accurate headline out today, it often trumps the 100% accurate headline tomorrow.
Using this last ‘Reservist misled’ fiasco as an example, did they talk to a single reservist currently on ops, or for that matter, who has EVER gone on ops, and asked such questions as, “The regulars do the combat, but reservists do the peacekeeping, right?” Or “They just called you up and sent you into combat, right?”
In a five minute conversation, any reservist I know who has been overseas would set them straight. That’s lazy, sloppy reporting, nothing less.
The media are far more careful about this when dealing with big business, because big business sues or yanks/threatens to yank sponsorship when they get a raw deal.
Because the CF play fair, we are an easy target, along with police, government, etc.
If you are going to hang us for incompetence, (and that is a legitimate role of the media) at least do us the decency of getting the facts straight.

POLITICIZATION – This one is the real killer. This is just my opinion, but it is the one that I think can do us the most harm. It is fairly easy to see that many media outlets in this country, and most newspapers, have an identifiable political slant.
The Toronto Star is quite ‘left’, The National Post is quite ‘right’ and on and on.
Often, (again just my opinion) these papers directly or indirectly stump for their favourite political party.
Here’s the danger: in the May 17 Parliamentary debate on the extension of the mission, on that date the war became, in my opinion, a partisan political issue.
This may be a simplistic analysis, but after that debate, to me the lines have been drawn in the mind of the public:
Harper and the Conservatives became ‘pro-war’ a la Bush.
The NDP and the Bloc became ‘anti-war.’ (You may say they were always that way, but they were awfully quiet about it when Martin was PM).
The Liberals became, in their magic way, all things to all people: mainly anti-war, but kind of a little bit pro-war, in a ‘we’ll see if Harper doesn’t botch it then it was our idea after all’ way.
The result for the soldiers on the ground is not a good one.
What I feel is that a successful military outcome in Afghanistan has been subtly tied to the Conservatives, and conversely, a military failure has been tied to the NDs and BQ, and a mildly successful but mostly screwed up outcome is great for the Liberals.
Does that hurt to say? It hurts me like hell. But IMHO that is our political reality.
So while our soldiers and their loved ones go through physical and mental hell for a cause they are willing to die for, many of our politicians and their media backers are (again just my peasant opinion) crossing their fingers that it all goes wrong.
And THAT is why, Mr. Keene, soldiers can smell the sharks in the media, just WAITING for us, hands rubbing in glee, to screw something up.
Will me make a mistake? Oh, you can count on it. It’s inevitable – thousands of troops in a volatile situation – things will go wrong. And when the facts of our mistakes DO check out, you are going to see some media outlets let rip on our soldiers with a viciousness that the Taliban would admire.

ANTI-AUTHORITARIANISM – Connected to politics, but not always. There are some folks in our media who just love tearing down cops and soldiers. Remember post-Somalia? It was open season – not just on torture, murder, cover-up, and other things worth looking into. Hell no, I remember reading prominent stories about soldiers ‘arrested for impaired driving’ implying that the CF were rife with criminals, or who can forget the national shame that ‘soldiers in Yugo had sex with nurses.’ SEX! With NURSES!
It got bloody ridiculous.
Have the media been kind to us since 9-11? Often yes. You bet. Often they’ve been great. Locally, we have had soldiers arrested for drug dealing, kiddie porn, domestic violence, etc. and they are handled in the media with attention that I would consider ‘fair’. Facts are brought out and presented, visibly but not hysterically, and then the world moves on.
I have no problem with the media reporting our mistakes and missteps, but just like schoolyard teasing, with certain reporters/outlets you can tell when there’s spite behind a remark.
And again, call me old-fashioned, but when there’s a war, and you ask troops to go and fight and die, doesn’t society owe them a pat on the back? A bit of respect?
Do we have to beg for it, CONSTANTLY?
I remember the NDP MP Paul Dewar saying he wouldn’t get caught up in “jingoistic ballyhoo” during the debate. It’s a common Canadian sentiment that you are ‘right wing’ if you go so far as to put a yellow ribbon magnet on your car or shake a soldier’s hand.
It’s the old story – people call cops ‘pigs’ but trip over themselves calling 911 when someone breaks into their home.
It’s an old argument, not new. Oh, I also remember going off to ‘blue beret peacekeep’ and being called warmonger and all that other garbage, which most of us here old enough to remember will probably back up.
With many Canadians you can’t win. I could take it before. But with every casualty we take, I find cutting remarks like ‘imperialist fascist warmonger’ harder and harder to take.
Throat punching is wrong. We serve the public. But the covenant between military and public is a two way street, and you don’t ask people to die and then throw them away.
I appreciate those who hold diverse arguments in a democracy. I stand for the right for people to hold that opinion. But after 20 years of explaining over and over again to people who are often shockingly uninformed (not of DIFFERENT opinion, but of FACTUALLY WRONG opinion) I have concluded that many ‘debaters’ don’t give a hoot for world politics, they just get a charge out of snotting off to someone in authority.

DISINFORMATION The enemy is out there. The 911 conspiracy theorists would tell you otherwise, but terrorists do exist. They are not stupid. They are watching us and loving our internal dissent, because it is their best, if not only chance for victory in Afghanistan. There is a strong possibility they are visiting this forum, just as an aside.
In the 1980s, if you talked of Soviet plans to blanket Western Europe with nukes and chemicals, or that they had sleeper cells in the West, you were often laughed off as a paranoid Joe McCarthy.
The Wall came down, the records were opened, and lo and behold, the fears were real. Proved.
Ever hear that admitted by the military-bashers of that era? I haven’t.
Also documented post-Cold War were robust Soviet efforts to manipulate our media and public opinion.
One can only assume it is being done now. Everytime I see the media dutifully reporting the plight of a doe-eyed gentleman fingered by CSIS as a terrorist, who has “Absolutely no idea why he has been detained,” I shake my head.

“Free Press” and “Right to Know” are vital to a democracy. They guard democracy.
But, as the old saying goes, who guards the guards?
If the press is content to bash the CF for all the wrong reasons, they can damage us.
It can creep into our national psyche.
I feel empathy bordering on rage when I think of the hundreds of soldiers that will return soon.
They will have seen friends die. They will bear wounds of body and mind that may never heal.
And they will come back to a half-interested public that is often ungrateful, childish, spiteful, capricious, and a media who feeds their whims.

I don’t know what can be done. Even in World War II we had riots in this country against conscription while thousands were killed overseas, so anti-military petulance is part of our makeup I suppose. I don’t expect legions of people scattering flowers at our feet. I don’t expect people who feel the war is wrong to change their mind.

But there is something sick and wrong about the subtle abuse hurled at our soldiers by yellow journalism

Maybe it’s just another thing we have to deal with, like IEDs, bad weather, PTSD, sandflies, etc.

Sorry for the long rant.

Hollywood, just read your post: outstanding.  :salute:

Hmmmmm.....sounds like a good explanation, but I still don't get how young people signing up get misled into believing we're here for peacekeeping? I mean, all one has to do is read the general job descriptions at the CFRC to realize that peacekeeping isn't the primary focus of the CF. Take the Infantry for example, To close with and destroy the enemy. Doesn't sound too peacekeeping-ish to me.

392, I take what you and dglad are saying and accept it, but I think we might be talking about two different groups of people here.  Those that show up at the door determined to come in and soldier and those that  avert their eyes and shudder as they walk past the door wondering what's on the other side.  We have many shudderers in Canada.  It is for their benefit that soldiering was sold as peacekeeping.  It kept the lights on and some of the bills paid.

Tony and annon223 - I am with the rest of the folks here.  The most important job for you lot seems not to be the feature articles - there are extremely few reporters/journalists/columnists that are allowed to write in depth stories in any event.  It seems your job is to create black marks on the page under sensational headlines. It is all about the shock, surprise and outrage.  If there isn't any you will create it.  Don't pretend that that is about anything more than selling papers at best, pamphleteering at worst.

As the folks here have pointed out - if you were interested in balance the frontpage headline of the London Free Press "HE WAS MISLED" would have been matched by another front page headline "NO HE WASN'T".  The fact that both were opinions pertaining to the same case and not "facts" would seem to merit equal treatment if they needed to be treated at all.  

God help the lot of you if somebody stuffs a mike in your face after you have been gut-punched.

Back