• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retire from CAF and entering Fed PS [Merged]

Ogami Itto said:
I have had my public service start date changed recently to my original TOS witht he military!

Anyone int he PS should check out their People Soft profile.

That was discussed earlier in this thread as well; nobody could remember for sure if their date in the 'Personal Information' section was a different date previously, and the compensation inquiry team says it's a known issue for ex-mil employees and has no effect on our civilian records. 

Do you know for sure that your start date in that screen used to be something different?  Such as, say, your PS start date?

Occam said:
It was probably that way from the start.  I only came into the PS last Sept and the "start" date in PeopleSoft (self service leave module) always indicated my CF enrolment date.

No, Actually it was not.  In fact, all of the my co workers have checked, and this is across the Ontario, and have noticed the change (Those with previous military service).  I have been with the PS for 4 years now, and it always had my start date from whenI started the PS.  Now it has been backdated to my Military service.

bridges said:
That was discussed earlier in this thread as well; nobody could remember for sure if their date in the 'Personal Information' section was a different date previously, and the compensation inquiry team says it's a known issue for ex-mil employees and has no effect on our civilian records. 

Do you know for sure that your start date in that screen used to be something different?  Such as, say, your PS start date?

As I said, I was not the only one who noticed the change recently.  Others in the program I work for, have also noticed the change, I can't be the only batty one  :blotto:

Ogami Itto said:
I have had my public service start date changed recently to my original TOS witht he military!

Anyone int he PS should check out their People Soft profile.
Check your Leave Report for your "Leave Service Date". I bet that hasn't changed.

Rheostatic said:
Check your Employee Leave Summary for your "Leave Service Date". I bet that hasn't changed.

I'm looking at my ELS now, and don't see a "Leave Service Date" anywhere - there's just one line, for the current LY (or a different LY, if I choose).  What date are you seeing - the start date in PS?  Where is it? 

Ah, got it - thanks.  You're right ... I just did a screen print of mine, and the Leave Service Date is my start date in the PS, not in the CF. 

Keep in mind that not all Federal departments use exactly the same version of PeopleSoft, nor do they all configure it in the same way.

However, the DND version shows your "original start date" (read as: CF Enrolment date for those with prior service) on the personal information screen; and your "Leave Service Date" on your account status and leave report.  The Leave Service Date is what is used to determine your years of service for the purpose of determining your leave entitlements.

I suspect the change will result in new periods of service being added to the "Leave Start Date" so you'd see entries for CF service (start date to end date) and RCMP Service (Start date to end date) which ould be added to your current period of service.  Since there may be breaks betwen CF service or RCMP service and PS service, the blocks would have to be isolated, then totalled.

Of course, the devil will be in the details...

Rheostatic said:
Check your Leave Report for your "Leave Service Date". I bet that hasn't changed.

You are right about that, otherwise we would have already seen the credit of holdiays in our leave summary.  It actually shows my date I started witht he PS, not my Military TOS.  But the report is generating what has been alloted to us, up untilt he change is implemented.

I would say the process has begun, and is ongoing, hence the change to the date in the Personal Information Summary

dapaterson said:
Of course, the devil will be in the details...

Yep.  For example, some time after switching to the PS I took a period of LWOP for about 18 months to do Class B svc in the CF.  I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that that time won't be included in my PS vacation entitlement after this change comes through - because it isn't now, of course - and I'll end up sending a memo to the compensation folks to inquire about having it added.  They'll have a legion of various such 'situations' to sort through. 

In preparation for the implementaion, it would probably be worthwhile for retired and still serving (in the Reserves) members to get copies fo their MPRRs (Reg and Reserve) to have on hand, ready to send to Compensation when they'll be needed.

A little preparation goes a long way...

Occam said:
Good news!  (thanks to my union for beating everyone else to the punch!)  ;D

The IBEW announcement is rather sparse; I'm hoping the linked presentation is a little more informative.  (And hoping they spring for a new server - the current one is a tad slow right now)

dapaterson said:
The IBEW announcement is rather sparse; I'm hoping the linked presentation is a little more informative.  (And hoping they spring for a new server - the current one is a tad slow right now)

Yep, something I've noticed on the DWAN for some time now - it's a DWAN problem, not the IBEW site.  If you click on an internet document to open it, it's a very slow download.  If you right-click and Save As, it's much faster.  Then open it from your desktop.

It's actually bad news for many folks, if this is the final version, as it applies only to Former CF members.

So, if you left the Reg F and joined the Supp Res, you're not a former member.  If you left the Reg F and joined the P Res, you're not a former member.  If you're in the P Res and deployed to Afghanistan, you're not a former member - so by deploying, you're delaying increases to your future leave entitlements by a year or so (depending on the length of your predeployment and deployment).

So all those folks won't receive credit for their service - unless they release.  As written, the policy will act as a disincentive to Reserve service for Reg F members looking to move on, and an incentive to Reservists in the public service to look over their MPRRs and decide whether to stay or go.  In my case:  I've got about 10 1/2 years of prior service that would qualify towards leave entitlements.  That means that being a class A reservist will now cost me over a week a year of vacation.

dapaterson said:
It's actually bad news for many folks, if this is the final version, as it applies only to Former CF members.
That means that being a class A reservist will now cost me over a week a year of vacation.

Which is ironic, considering that many Class A reservists give up their civilian vacation time to do army work.  On my pl comd's crse many yrs ago, one of my course-mates had a FT civvy job at a car dealership; our course was 6 weeks long but he could only get 2 weeks of vacation a year.  So he took his 2 weeks' vacation to complete his pl comd's course in stages, over 3 consecutive years.  No vacation for 3 years.  Now TB is saying that his Class A service doesn't merit consideration for PS vacation time-? 

My career was heavy on Cl B/C, and I'm grateful for the impending vacation time - but it seems many folks will miss out, who shouldn't. 

PS - thanks, Occam, for the link. 

Well, it is just a PowerPoint presentation, so it's doubtful it'll be using the exact language the rules will be published in.  One can only hope that they don't slight the reservists when the actual policy is issued.

...and in the meantime, I'll have my request to be released from the Supplementary Reserve typed up and ready to go on a moment's notice.  ;D

Yep.  It's just a ppt not the actual directive.  If you look at the eligibility slide it talks about former service not former members.  Then the slide on the immediate application says former members. 

I wouldn't make a big deal about this just yet.

Great NEWS if you're a former member - potentially bad news if you're a Reservist wanting to join Public Service

I was sent a copy of the presentation that was presented to the National Joint Council Meeting by Treasury Board Secretariat on June 6th

In it it states that Eligibility is extended to any former full-time military service in Reg or Res Force.  In addition, applies to current employees as well as future hires.  Receipt of Severance from DND has no impact.  Starts 1 Apr 2012 and no retroactivity.

Hopefully, it will only be a matter of time to recognize current time for current Reservists.

Great News for me and quite a few others but I'll wait till formal message comes out before I do a jig in my cubicle  ;-)

Canuck4ever said:
Hopefully, it will only be a matter of time to recognize current time for current Reservists.

Current time for current reservists - what are you referring to, exactly?  If PS mbrs are also in the Res F at the same time, their service should count 'double' for vacation credits? 

Back