• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rosaries in the CF

KuroKuma

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering if wearing a rosary while in uniform would be deemed as acceptable since other religious jewellery are?

I'm not Catholic, but I'm pretty sure a rosary isn't meant to be worn, so I'm going to say that the answer to your question is probably no.

If you are wear as follows:

Wearing of the Rosary
Wearing of a Rosary that one actually uses to pray is neither uncommon nor sacrilegious in various Roman Catholic-adherent cultures and was a common practice in the Medieval and Renaissance periods, particularly among the religious (monks, nuns, and friars). Rosaries are also worn hanging from or looped over a belt, particularly with some religious habits, pinned to and hanging from a shoulder or neckline, or wrapped around a wrist or arm as a bracelet. Some Catholic Christians feel that it is sacrilegious for a non-believer to wear a rosary around the neck. This is particularly true in Roman Catholic cultures that have histories of persecution, particularly among the Irish and English Catholics. Because Irish Catholic tradition is often seen as normative in the United States and Canada, this has been the source of some conflict in the past. The Roman Catholic Church states: "Sacred objects, set aside for divine worship by dedication or blessing, are to be treated with reverence. They are not to be made over to secular or inappropriate use, even though they may belong to private persons". Thus it is acceptable to wear a rosary if one is doing so to show veneration, however it is not acceptable if one is wearing the rosary irreverently, such as wearing it as a piece of jewelry. Many saints have worn their rosary around the neck, and in the Secret of the Rosary, it is mentioned that a person put his rosary around his neck to keep demons away from him.

then as a matter of safety then no you can not wear it while in uniform.

BlaqqMuzyk said:
I was wondering if wearing a rosary while in uniform would be deemed as acceptable since other religious jewellery are?
Hi BlaqqMuzyk
I assume that you are of one of the Christian Faiths who use a rosary.  Myself, I'm Roman Catholic.  I carry my rosary everywhere.  It is kept safely in a small velvet pouch and I keep it next to my heart: figuratively and literally.  As for wearing it, I would not see it allowed.  As the poster put in his post above, wearing it by the faithful is to show others.
Also, there are other types of rosaries out there.  Consider the Rosary Ring:
ROSARY_RING1.jpg

You could wear that if you wished.

Anyway, in short, I would offer "no" as a default answer to the standard rosary; however, there are options.

Cheers!

Could it not be worn around the neck under the uniform, out of sight?  As a Catholic, i certainly don't wear mine, but if the purpose is for devotion, and not decorative, why not? 

Hear are some rosaries made for Military Personnel.  They have safety features (5lbs breakaway clasp) and alternative uses.

http://www.therosaryproject.com/Wearable_Rosary_C38.cfm

http://www.therosaryproject.com/Military_Pacer_Rosaries_C39.cfm

http://www.therosaryproject.com/Pacer_Rosaries_C61.cfm

dileas

tess

Strike said:
I'm not Catholic, but I'm pretty sure a rosary isn't meant to be worn,
The Prior before our current Prior would indeed encourage parishioners to wear their Rosary and at the parish school, those wearing their Rosary would be given extra points (think of it like a demerit  system which works both ways).

Technoviking said:
Hi BlaqqMuzyk
I assume that you are of one of the Christian Faiths who use a rosary.  Myself, I'm Roman Catholic.  I carry my rosary everywhere.  It is kept safely in a small velvet pouch and I keep it next to my heart: figuratively and literally.  As for wearing it, I would not see it allowed.  As the poster put in his post above, wearing it by the faithful is to show others.
Also, there are other types of rosaries out there.  Consider the Rosary Ring:
You could wear that if you wished.

Anyway, in short, I would offer "no" as a default answer to the standard rosary; however, there are options.

Cheers!
Hi BlaqqMuzyk,

I agree with Technoviking's post.  I was going to post the Rosary Ring, but Technoviking beat me to it while I was working on my reply. 

Though you didn't mentioned the Brown Scapular in your post, I thought, 'just in case' you were wondering the same question about the Brown Scapular, I would cover both in my reply.

There is a Brown Scapular metal you could keep on a safey pin in your pocket, along with the rest of your Catholic metals and even a little crucifix metal.  I know the crucifix metal is on the Brown Scapular, but should you keep the Brown Scapular metal in place of the actual Brown Scapular... ... ... .

You shouldn't have any problem getting dispensation to use both of these (the Rosary ring and Brown Scapular metal) in place of an actual Rosary and Brown Scapular. 

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if dispensation even needs to be requested these days or if it is automatic???  This would be something to confirm with your confessor or parish priest.

Like Technoviking, I too am a Roman Catholic and I carry my rosary everywhere; though I have no pouch for my Rosary... I really should pick one of those up.

Also, I'm not sure if you are aware, but the Rosary only needs to be 'on person' (even just in a pocket) for you to receive the graces from having said the Rosary.  This provides you with a very discreet means of doing the Rosary, though if you were to have the Rosary 'on person' and not in your hand, then you would need to find some other means of keeping track... finger tips always work nicely.

Have a Great Day!

Thank you everybody for your replies I will look into everything and see what I can do.

Back in about 1990, I approached the Unit's RC Padre, and asked for a rosary. He had the CF approved type which were worn on the dog tag chain, similar to that posted by TV'king.

It was permitted to be worn then, and if that permission has now been revoked to be PC, thats pretty sad.

As long as whatever is worn on the chain is not in plain view, but under your uniform, I don't see an issue with that.

Perhaps a Padre out there can enlighten us.

During my time in Iraq, I wore a small St Christopher's medalion, along with a small St Michael's medalion, on my dog tag chain and carried an Irish Blessing in my wallet. I was not the only one wearing such things within our Combat Team.

Regards from a crappy wet tropical late summer's day,

OWDU

Overwatch Downunder said:
Regards from a crappy wet tropical late summer's day,

OWDU

Got a fresh shipment of snow coming in want me to send some your way.....

;D

daftandbarmy said:
And if the roasary doesn't work, you can always protect yourself with a can of this product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEHUzNWnh5M  ;D

I have no idea why, but I expected that link to go to an ad for Tactical Bacon.  :blotto:

NFLD Sapper said:
Got a fresh shipment of snow coming in want me to send some your way.....

;D

Snow thanks!

Ha!

Ya, crappy here today, cloudy w/some rain, topped out at 29C and too windy for a jet-ski, so did trailer maint this arvo, installing two new plastic mud guards.

POL'd 50L at $1.15.9/L, so the ole Sea Doo is waiting for tomorrow's mission, depending on the weather and the tide. Will head up to the Caloundra Bar via Pummicestone passage.

I was for a swim tonight, even the pool temp dropped out to 29C, and there is only 9 more sleeps til the first day of fall. The mosquitos are a real bastard, and with Ross River and Dengue Fevers, and other nasty mossie born diseases, life can really be a beach, or should I say bitch.

OWDU

Back