• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2010-2011

I can assure you that you can be accepted MPO through ROTP. I was accepted Civy U for MPO in the first round of selections. The recruiting center and Ottawa told me that there were only 2 spots for MPO in this years ROTP selection batch. So it is highly competitive. You are also required to go through the MPOAC to be selected, which also further heightens the competition for MPO spots.

The fact that the training is about 6 months is irrelevent to whether you can be selected for the trade. Since if your doing 4 years of university...
FYOP Before 1st Year
BOTP Between 1 & 2
CAP Between 2 & 3
SLT, OPME's, etc between 3 & 4
The trades course for MPO starts generally in January, so it's not likely to be able to complete it at all. It'd be done after the degree is finished.

I am waiting to hear if I made it after the second selection board meets.  What is confusing to me is that when I spoke to my recruiter after the first round of selections (which I obviously didn't make) he said that there would be a good chance I would be selected in round two.  I am going for Nursing Officer through ROTP.  He further stated that there is a high turnover in people accepting offers for the NO ROTP slots.  Has anyone heard anything like this?

I'm also waiting for the selection this week.  I have Intelligence Officer as my first choice.  When I called the recruiting center last week I wasn't given any information as to what is full and what isn't.  Armour was my third choice. 

Does anyone happen to know if INT is still open or if it has been all filled?

ScotiaGirl said:
I'm also waiting for the selection this week.  I have Intelligence Officer as my first choice.  When I called the recruiting center last week I wasn't given any information as to what is full and what isn't.  Armour was my third choice. 

I talked to a recruiting officer and was informed that all the offers for available Nursing Officer positions have been sent out. So currently there are no spots available. The only way that a Nursing Officer candidate would have a chance at this point is if one of these offers is turned down- this will open up a spot. Should you be successful in the second round of selection, and if someone somewhere turns down an offer for Nursing Officer, then you have a chance! (This is all based on what I understood of the recruiter's info)

daindophia said:
I talked to a recruiting officer and was informed that all the offers for available Nursing Officer positions have been sent out. So currently there are no spots available. The only way that a Nursing Officer candidate would have a chance at this point is if one of these offers is turned down- this will open up a spot. Should you be successful in the second round of selection, and if someone somewhere turns down an offer for Nursing Officer, then you have a chance! (This is all based on what I understood of the recruiter's info)

Where did ScotiaGirl say she had applied for Nursing Officer?  ???

ScotiaGirl said:

The recruiter did tell me all the offers for NO were sent out, but he also said that it has a high rate of candidates turning down offers or not getting accepted (if they were still waiting to hear if they got accepted from University).  Also, I don't know if this is out of the ordinary, but the recruiter asked me if he could send a letter back to the selection board asking for more specific clarification as to why I was not selected.  In his mind, I had the most competetive NO application out of my CFRC, yet someone who did not have as much volunteer experience, as high of marks, or extra-curriculars got in.  I would be curious to know as well, however, I congratulate whoever it was.

NO Hopeful said:
I am waiting to hear if I made it after the second selection board meets.  What is confusing to me is that when I spoke to my recruiter after the first round of selections (which I obviously didn't make) he said that there would be a good chance I would be selected in round two.  I am going for Nursing Officer through ROTP.  He further stated that there is a high turnover in people accepting offers for the NO ROTP slots.  Has anyone heard anything like this?

I haven't heard of a high turnover per se, but I have heard that often one or two candidates have to turn their offer down because they did not meet the criteria to proceed into the next year of school, Ex. One person had conditional acceptance to university and did not meet the conditions in time, another person failed to achieve the grades needed to proceed to the next year of school and chose to withdraw her application.
Good Luck with round two! Don't give up hope :)

Thanks for the information.  I must say though, it seems like my recruiter is trying to go the extra mile for me and I am very impressed with this, no matter what the outcome....and there is always next year!!

It is a good feeling when you feel as though they are working as hard as possible for you. A lot of people talk badly about the CFRC staff, and I would be lieing if I said I've only ever had good things to say about the work they do. I have been frustrated at times, but never with personnel working there -- it has always been with the process itself, especially on the medical side of things, although I do realize those procedures are in place to protect everyone, not just that individual, and that staff just do not have the time to go through every single file on a case by case basis beyond examining your interview and checklists.

My File Manager and Career Counsellor have been nothing but professional, polite, and prompt with me every time I call. It is to the point now where even if I do not get selected, I will probably show up to the CFRC with coffees for both of them and just say thank you. I am one of those candidates who calls on a weekly basis as well, and they always have something to say -- even if it is just to call back in a few days when they think something new will have surfaced. At the end of the day, the CFRC staff I have dealt with have been great overall. At my CFRC I have only ever talked to one person who it seemed clear did not want to be in that position.

As for the Int question -- my stepfather was working at the Int school in Kingston last year -- I was going to put Int as one of my ROTP options, but he advised strongly against it. The CF has a desire to beef up the Intelligence branch, but it is true that they are back logged. It is something you can shoot for in ROTP, but I am assuming that they likely only take in a very small number of applicants, and from what I have gathered from friends who have/are applying, and on these forums, its a sought after trade. I also am a firm believer that this is a trade that more people transfer over to once they have served for some time, as it is desirable to have Int officers who understand how the military works and exactly what they have as a role.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Well it seems like it all rests on choice 2: Aerospace Control Officer!

I just wanted to say good luck to everyone still waiting!  Next week can't come soon enough!

hi, i have recieved my phone call last month around the middle of march, offering me a position as an armour officer, which i have excepted, my recruiting center notified me that i will be given intructions for the next step of things to be done before i sign the contract, and start training in august, but some of the information was unclear, i was wondering when the new officer recruits for the rotp program was supposed to hear back from their recruiting centers after excepting their offers, outlining the next step and has been given instructions on what needs to be done up until training in august
thank you

Hello,

First, you should probably read the currently existing thread in this board about ROTP 2010-2011, as most of the answers are there.  Offers will go out fairly soon, I'd guess by the middle of next month.  Everything will become more clear then, but in the mean time, just keep building yourself up physically, and that is the most important part at this point.

ekpiper

Thanks ekpiper

I have merged this with the other topic, to cut down on the amount of info one may have to delve through when they do a SEARCH.  One topic, pertaining to the subject and hopefully holding the majority of answers, does that.

hi, i have recieved my phone call last month around the middle of march, offering me a position as an armour officer, which i have excepted, my recruiting center notified me that i will be given intructions for the next step of things to be done before i sign the contract, and start training in august, but some of the information was unclear, i was wondering when the new officer recruits for the rotp program was supposed to hear back from their recruiting centers after excepting their offers, outlining the next step and has been given instructions on what needs to be done up until training in august
thank you

About the next call (infos and instructions for next year)... I received a call from the the CFRC Sherbrooke today while I was at school asking to me to call them back today or tomorrow, sadly I came back home to late because the CFRC is off duty after 4:00PM here. I wonder what it is all about.. I accepted my offer like a month ago, I can only hope it's the "Next Call" with all the informations and instructions for next year. If you've accepted your offer, then I think you should hear from your CFRC in the next few days  :D

Can't wait to hear from everyone that are still waiting for the second selection board to happen

Greg

gcclarke said:
The website is unfortunately not managed by the recruiting group. Oftentimes it is inaccurate. The MPO trade is not inherently ineligible to entry by ROTP, although in any particular year they may not be taking in any via ROTP because it is both a fairly popular choice that requires relatively few people, allowing us to fill it via the much more cost effective DEO method.

I don't normally read these threads, but which website are you referring to?

Hi guys, I got some news about my last post. The call was, as I thought, the "Next Call" I was expecting.

I called this morning and the Recruiter told me he received some updates from the Royal Military College (RMC).This was actually the date of enrollment and the First Year Orientation Period (FYOP). Seams like my enrollment will be on 22th of July. He also stated that there would be a FYOP from 2010/08/01 to 2010/09/03 at the RMC St-Jean* so I must be at the college 31st of July. He also said he needed to give me some more informations about all this so he'll be calling back later today. I don't know for you, but when I call there it seams I always hang up smiling

I also heard from someone that every body that are still waiting for the Second Selection Board should actually hear about it Monday or Tuesday. Can't wait to hear from all of you guys.

And if any of you is going to RMC St-Jean please send me a message so we can get to know each other before the FYOP.

*For those who go to St-Jean

Thank you for reading

Greg

Tango2Bravo said:
I don't normally read these threads, but which website are you referring to?

I was referring to the Forces.ca site. Mind you, I looked and couldn't find a post by a recruiter stating that the website is managed by someone outside of CFRG. It is possible my mind just filled in the blanks on that one. But at the very least it has been stated that it is often not kept up to date, in particular with regards to which trades are currently "In Demand". If I recall correctly, prior to the current fiscal year, there were situations where a trade was both listed as "In Demand" on the Forces.ca website, and closed for recruiting until April rolled around.

As well, the last post was a response to someone who was suggesting to another posted that they should not trust the information given to them by the recruiting centre (Namely whether or not ROTP was a valid entry plan to become an MPO), partially on the basis of the information on the Forces.ca website. Hence my "trust the recruiting centre over the website" statement.

Back