• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2011-2012

And, on a side note, I have my CFAT, medical, and interview at CFRC Vancouver this Tuesday, the 9th. I am very excited, I finally get a chance to prove myself and elaborate as to what I put on my ROTP questionnaire. I am also, as expected, a little nervous, but nonetheless prepared. Glad to hear your CFAT went well nairna, I am sure the medical and interview will yield similar results for you.

Alright. Thanks for the reply. :)
I just gotta work even harder to make up for my mistakes. In the end it'll be worth it though. :)

Well, I start a 10 week Grade 12 math upgrader course on Monday. If I can seriously bump up my mark from the 56 where it stands to something in the 60s, 70s or maybe even 80s, I'll be able to rewrite my CFAT and hopefully do better on the Problem Solving portion, which was my weakest according to my file manager. And if that all works out, I should be able to attend RMC.

And if not, I was accepted for Civi U  ;D

Bowen: Also worth mentioning that what marks they look at can also be affected by whether you are going into university or already in university. For example for myself as I am already in university the CFRC created a combined score of my grade 10,11,12 and 1st year university marks to see if I was eligible. They will look at all your marks if you are going into university but the top 6 are the ones used to determine your eligibility, as stated in the ROTP FAQ sheet. I myself did not have the greatest 10, and 11 marks but applied myself more so in grade 12 and have fairly strong marks in university so I am using that to show academic improvement and focus. It is always best to start now rather than later, so just focus on what you want and I'm sure it will work out for you, and your right it will all work out in the end.

Pudd13: Thank you Pudd13, I'm very excited for my interview. I'm confident it will be my highest score out of the three stages of the process. I am fairly confident that you will be successful as well, you seem highly knowledgeable and capable. Hopefully we shall meet this summer!

PrarieBoy: That is great that you are taking the course to improve your abilities, I am sure it will make a world of difference for you. Also, I would recommend picking up an ASVAB (the US militaries equivalent to our CFAT in a certain way) book from a bookstore or amazon.ca to keep your memory fresh on what the test is like and keep your skills sharp. I bought one and it was a HUGE help. Trust me it is a good tool to have and it also includes test taking strategies that can be applied in some respects to the CFAT and walkthroughs on math skills, grammar, and so on. Honestly it is a great purchase.

One last post before I go lol. I am just thinking out loud here, but I wonder how many applicants use this forum compared to how many apply? I recall an officer of the CRFC Toronto telling me that me that last year there was about 2000 applicants. Clearly, there is not that many people posting on here, but it is interesting. I wonder if there is a correlation between those that post and those that are accepted? Food for thought. 

I am sure there are a bunch of people who are applying this year who have been reading this posts quite regularly. I am also sure that there are quite a few people who have read some of these posts at least once if they are applying. Nobody applies to anything without doing a least a little bit of research first. For most people, research means going to google. Sure enough, if you search anything along the lines of RMC or ROTP, you are bound to come across a link to the army.ca forums on the first page of a google search. So I am pretty confident in saying that almost all off the 2000 applicants from last year will have seen the posts from that year, and I am also pretty confident in saying that most of the applicants this year around will have to. As for whether there is a higher success rate for people who post, I have no idea. I imagine it doesn't make a huge difference, but who knows, there might be some correlation between posters and successful candidates.

Hey recruits,

I'm in first year here at RMC, if you have any questions feel free to send me a message. I know everyone is really excited, I was in your shoes not too long ago. I'd like to give you guys a few tid-bits of advice that will probably make your lives a more bearable now, and easier if and when you get to RMC.

1.  Discipline yourself. School is going to be really tough once you start it. You're going to be falling asleep in class, I guarantee it. When you have time to study, STUDY. When you have time to polish your boots/ oxfords, POLISH THEM. When you have time to sleep, SLEEP. I can't emphasize how important it is that you stay focused on school. Academics is your quickest way out of RMC, if you fail enough classes your gone.

2. Exercise, starting today. You don't want to be that one guy or girl always falling behind during morning PT, and trust me morning PT is hard. The third year fyop staff spend thier summers pumping iron and chugging back protien shakes to they can murder you during PT. But not only that, RMC in general has a higher standard for physical fitness, than is required for the Canadian forces (i.e. CF Express). If you cannot pass the PPT( RMC Physical Performance Test) you will be waking up at 5:00 in the morning 5 days a week to go to SPT (Supplementary Physical Training) after FYOP is done. Moreover, you are going to RMC to be an officer in the CF, you will be leading troops, not chugging along in the back of the pack during PT. You set the example.

3. Choose the occupation you want. It's hard to switch your trade when you get here, don't choose something you dislike just to get in.

4. Start learning college knowledge. It's hard to retain information when you're falling asleep mid-sentence. It will make your life a whole lot easier. (Old 18, dimensions of the parade square, date of when buildings were completed, poem over the memorial arch, etc)

5. Shut your mouth and listen. Don't be the smart ass, don't be the giggly one, don't be the bag, don't be the flirt, and don't be the CHIT monster. Shut your mouth, open your ears and always put drive into everything you do.

6. Don't drop off the map once FYOP is done. You will no longer have your fyop staff holding your hand every minute of the day, it will be your responsibility to keep in shape, set aside homework time, and keep on top of all the form-ups and parades. Don't slack off because FYOP is done, don't party every night and spend all your time in buddy's room, but on the same note don't barricade yourself in your own room. Just like everything else in life, it's about maintaining a balance.

That is all for now, expect another post with a general checklist of stuff to bring and not to bring with you.

Thanks Jourdan, that is a lot of excellent advice for everyone here. I have question for you actually as you are someone who was accepted into ROTP. My question relates to your application. What was your application like in terms of your academics, leadership, volunteering, ext. I am just interested to hear what those accepted had on their applications. I do not wish to use this information to compare and think it will be the same this year, it just provides me an idea. Thanks again.

nairna said:
What was your application like in terms of your academics, leadership, volunteering, ext. I am just interested to hear what those accepted had on their applications. I do not wish to use this information to compare and think it will be the same this year, it just provides me an idea. Thanks again.

Relax, I'm not going to rip you apart for being being excited about RMC.

Physical activity
- soccer 5 days a week ( 2 hour sessions)
- gym on my own at least 3 days a week
- swimming
- cycling
- boxing
- crossfit
- running

School
- 87% average with physics , calculus and vectors, biology, English, chemistry, advanced functions
- various clubs ( DECA, school soccer team, cross country team)
- arts award
- YPI award
- scholar all four years

Volunteering:
- OSA
- ALS society of Ontario
- Various marathons

That's all I can remember right now.

They are looking for well rounded individuals, so study, volunteer and get jacked. Know your occupation inside and out going into the interview because half the interview is centered around it.

Another question; I understand a large portion of the interview is based around your occupation choice. Is this portion of the interview based only on your first choice, or on all three occupational choices? Thanks.

That's a great question and one I would like to know as well. I'm gathering as much knowledge on all of them as possible, but it would be good to know how in depth we could possibly go into my second and third choices, just in case I forget or am not knowing of certain specifics.

Know about all 3, or 2 or however many you choose up to 3. Focus obviously one your first.

Well tomorrow is my big day; CFAT at 8, Medical testing at 11, and my interview at 130. I am feeling confident, but also slightly nervous. I'll be sure to post whether I did well or not tomorrow afternoon. And to all of you who have helped with any questions I have had in the past, thanks for helping me get at least this far.

Good luck Pudd13! Remember to be relaxed, space yourself out. I'm looking forward to hearing from you tomorrow. Get some sleep!

Back