• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2011-2012

I put my request for a CT in last Thursday. I was told today to just wait until I  receive an email from Ottawa, which they said may take 6-8 weeks. Gives me plenty of time to work on my essay at least!

Dou You said:
Start the process now. Time is of the essence when it comes to ROTP. Get your application/questionnaire to the CFRC as soon as you possibly can so you can start booking the CFAT, Interview, and Medical. You can always bring in updated transcripts/grades to your CFRC as they come. Also, starting early helps if there are any problems with your application process because you will have time to fix it before the ROTP application deadline.

To add, I believe you can change/add to your ROTP questionnaire after you have submitted it (but only up until the application deadline). So get it in now to be safe. It's what I was told last year, and it helped because I had to do update interviews, medicals, etc.

Thank you good sir, time to write the essay.

nairna said:
How is everyone else doing?

Very good news this morning. I just passed the CFAT and it was a great confidence booster when the Corporal said "Une seule erreur, j'ai jamais vu ça!"

Medical and interview booked October 20th.

Good luck to everyone.

trampbike said:
"Une seule erreur, j'ai jamais vu ça!"

Sorry my comprehension of french is lacking lol. I'm assuming it's all good though!

Good luck!

runormal said:
Thank you good sir, time to write the essay.

You are very welcome...but I am not a "Sir", that's still a couple years down the road  ;).

Good luck with everything. Cheers.

nairna said:
Sorry my comprehension of french is lacking lol. I'm assuming it's all good though!

Good luck!

Translation "Only one mistake, it's the first time I see this!" So yeah, all good so far :)

My interview is scheduled in 4 weeks. I'll make sure to know inside out every aircraft currently used by the CF, all the Wings  and every squadrons (where they are, what they do, which aircraft they have), what is the training syllabus etc. Also I'll try to be ready to explain why I want to join and what I think the CF will want of me and why I think I could be a good officer in the CF.

What do you guys expect from the interview?

I had a little chat with the recruiter today. As I had always suspected, the weakest part of my application was the Problem Solving section of the CFAT. As such, my recruiter recommended that I take an academic upgrade program in Mathematics, and when I can show a certificate of some sort showing that I have taken further classes in mathematcs, I'll be able to retake my CFAT.

My application is "being processed" right now. I cannot wait for my interview and the rest of the testing. I'll see you all at RMC next year!!!

I am heading down to my local Recruiting Center tomorrow and am quite nervous. One issue that I am concerned about is that I am only 15. I turn 16 before the required date which is fine, but I was warned that there may be some legal difficulties in getting a medical done before I turn 16 which would mean my application would not be complete until December meaning I would have very little time to make adjustments or amendments to my application such has been advised by previous posters. Does anyone here have any previous experience with such a situation or have any knowledge of it?

You may want more information on the "legal issues" with getting a medical done at such a young age. The problem may be solved if you have a parent or guardian present. I am by no means an expert on the issue though, so don't tale my word for it. What level of education are you currently at?

trampbike said:
Translation "Only one mistake, it's the first time I see this!" So yeah, all good so far :)

My interview is scheduled in 4 weeks. I'll make sure to know inside out every aircraft currently used by the CF, all the Wings  and every squadrons (where they are, what they do, which aircraft they have), what is the training syllabus etc. Also I'll try to be ready to explain why I want to join and what I think the CF will want of me and why I think I could be a good officer in the CF.

What do you guys expect from the interview?

I'm thinking its going to be like.

Why RMC? Or Civi u
Why your trades.

I think also them going over the your application form verballly where you can expand.

DBRowan said:
I am heading down to my local Recruiting Center tomorrow and am quite nervous. One issue that I am concerned about is that I am only 15. I turn 16 before the required date which is fine, but I was warned that there may be some legal difficulties in getting a medical done before I turn 16 which would mean my application would not be complete until December meaning I would have very little time to make adjustments or amendments to my application such has been advised by previous posters. Does anyone here have any previous experience with such a situation or have any knowledge of it?

STOP!  You CAN NOT even apply until you are sixteen, and you require your parents signature.

He turns 16 before the application deadline though so why can't he apply, what's to stop I'm from applying then?

nairna said:
He turns 16 before the application deadline though so why can't he apply, what's to stop I'm from applying then?

Because to be eligible to apply, you must be 16 years old.

From the Forces website (emphasis mine):

To be eligible to apply to the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following three minimum requirements:
Be a Canadian Citizen

Be 17 years of age (with parental or guardian consent) or older, except:
Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applicants, who must be 16 years of age or older

Similar to a recent VOT message that stated the member must have 36 months in at the time of application.  One member who wanted to apply stated they would have the 36 months in prior to the start of the course but not at the time of application.  Guess what?  They didn't get to apply.

Corect me if I'm wrong, but in this instance DBRowan could still do some of the necessary paperwork (found online) like the ROTP questionnaire, mandatory application paperwork, etc, between now and when he turns 16. Then on the day he turns sixteen, he will have most of the paperwork you can find online done. This would be helpful at the recruiting centre in getting the application process started a bit quicker, and having it run a bit smoother from the start.

There may not be much paperwork you can do DBRowan, but if anything, it shows the recruiters at the CFRC that you are eager to apply and taking initiative by having some paperwork done when you walk in.

Thanks for all the advice, the recruiting officer decided to go out out for lunch because it was a quiet day apparently so I didn't find out today however a meeting has been set up for tomorrow. I've got the essay done and the Academic Admissions Questionnaire finished. What other forms are there in addition? Thanks again for the quick response.

DBRowan said:
Thanks for all the advice, the recruiting officer decided to go out out for lunch because it was a quiet day apparently so I didn't find out today however a meeting has been set up for tomorrow. I've got the essay done and the Academic Admissions Questionnaire finished. What other forms are there in addition? Thanks again for the quick response.

Reading your first sentence, I would advise you to read your essay and correct all your spelling and grammatical mistakes.  It will probably help your application. 

DBRowan,

As someone else advised earlier, get as much of the application done now, and then be ready to submit it on your birthday or shortly thereafter.

To find the other necessary forms, you can look on the CF website. You need to fill out all the common forms (the forms that all CF applicants fill out) and also the ROTP/RETP academic questionnaire. It should work out to be 5 forms total if I remember correctly. You can have all of these filled out and ready to go before you turn 16.

And as George Wallace says, check your grammar spelling very carefully on your exam. Having correct grammar and spelling won't go a long way to help your application, but it will certainly go a long way to harm your application if you have poor grammar and spelling. Don't underestimate how important it is.

Well I had my CFAT today and I passed ;D I also had my medical and interview which both went well. Now let all the waiting for a decision begin. Good luck to everyone else on the application process and hope to see some of you at RMC in September.

Back