• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
sambo1340 said:
Could someone explain to me exactly what what is ROTP... I really want to become successful in the army, I'm looking into being a infantry officer and I was told by my recruiter that I should apply for the ROTP in September 2015, I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out on this one, thank you!! :)

Check here.

My High school marks from when I graduated 10 years ago were really bad (63% grade 12 average). I was in the Air Force for 8 years as an Aerospace Control Operator and voluntarily released and now I'm in University taking a Bachelor of Computer Science. I was looking to get back in as a Pilot, and I spoke to a recruiter and asked what I needed to do about marks and she said marks weren't really important anymore (bullshit). I applied in September 2014 when I didn't have any uni marks and I was immediately rejected saying I did not meet the academic requirements.

I have taken a grade 12 course and scored 97% on it bringing my grade 12 average up to 70% and I currently have a university GPA of 91.80% and made Deans list this year. I have been maintaining myself physically (6am gym ever morning) and my vision and health is good. I don't really have any official extra curriculars at this time because I have been focusing on my grades but I will probably be able to get some leadership based ECs very soon. My CFAT score was also very high (met pilot requirements) when I wrote it back in 2005 (recruiter said score was still valid) My questions are:

-Do my high school grades still weigh in or does my UGPA override it?  Would I need to go and re-do my grade 12 courses over the summer if I hoped to have a shot?
-Are sports absolutely required? Would intramurals be enough?
-What other things would I need to do to have a shot next year when I apply again?

random123 said:
I was looking to get back in as a Pilot, and I spoke to a recruiter and asked what I needed to do about marks and she said marks weren't really important anymore (bullshit). I applied in September 2014 when I didn't have any uni marks and I was immediately rejected saying I did not meet the academic requirements.

I have taken a grade 12 course and scored 97% on it bringing my grade 12 average up to 70% and I currently have a university GPA of 91.80% and made Deans list this year.

My CFAT score was also very high (met pilot requirements) when I wrote it back in 2005 (recruiter said score was still valid) My questions are:

-Do my high school grades still weigh in or does my UGPA override it?  Would I need to go and re-do my grade 12 courses over the summer if I hoped to have a shot?
-Are sports absolutely required? Would intramurals be enough, ?
-What other things would I need to do to have a shot next year when I apply again?

First off, whom ever you spoke with the first time, was probably out to lunch to give you advice such as "Marks aren't important."  MARKS are everything!!!

If you did the CFAT back in 05, you "might" have to re-do it!  I don't believe that they can convert 05 CFAT scores into todays numbers but it's a coin toss, speculation on my part and this would have to be confirmed by your local CFRC and Recruiters/MCC's don't have this ability.  You will definitely have to write the TSD though!

ALL of your submitted academic transcripts will be looked at, including your high school, once again.  If you have upgraded any of your previous high school courses, these should override the previous grades, provided it's the same course.

If you have completed college or university credits, these are included in the assessment and ALL academic transcripts are combined as a group.

PS - keep in mind, for courses taken at College or University to have more weight over highschool, must be at a "higher" level.

I sent off my questionnaire and all other information about a week ago. 
Just wondering if anyone knows how long it can take to figure out anything!

:salute: :cdn:

Hi all,

Looking to clear up some confusion, I could not find anything with the search function.

I'm currently a second year student at a civilian university and I'm interested in applying for the ROTP program. I'm wondering which transcript they take into account - high school, university or both? The reason I am asking is because I didn't take a lot of 'academic' courses in high school. I was not remotely interested in school or good marks during that time in my life. However, I experienced a change of heart last year and realized the value of getting good grades and have been progressively getting better since.

How much will this affect my chances of being considered? Would I have a better shot if I applied for direct entry after I graduate?

Thanks.

SNB said:
Hi all,

Looking to clear up some confusion, I could not find anything with the search function.

I'm currently a second year student at a civilian university and I'm interested in applying for the ROTP program. I'm wondering which transcript they take into account - high school, university or both? The reason I am asking is because I didn't take a lot of 'academic' courses in high school. I was not remotely interested in school or good marks during that time in my life. However, I experienced a change of heart last year and realized the value of getting good grades and have been progressively getting better since.

How much will this affect my chances of being considered? Would I have a better shot if I applied for direct entry after I graduate?

Thanks.

I do believe, that they will look at ALL your academic transcripts.  Mind you in some instances, your University marks could very well over ride your HS marks.

• Candidates who have completed university level courses in good standing (up to 1 full year of university education) and have been admitted to a university faculty or division are admissible to the Royal Military College of Canada provided they meet the prerequisite subjects for the preferred degree.  A combination of high school and university course may need to be used
• Candidates who have completed or have been accredited with more than 1 full year or university studies will not normally be considered for attendance at RMCC and are suitable ROTP-RETP applicants for attendance at a civilian university.  However if they are prepared to waive any advanced standing entitlement (they must do so in writing), they can then be considered for admission to RMCC with up to 4 years of subsidization. 

DAA said:
o Note: University candidates should offer a minimum C average or G.P.A. of 2.0.  Courses with grades of less than C- will not be considered for admission purposes and will not be counted towards meeting degree requirements.

This is interesting... Where did this come from if you don't mind me asking? Everything I've looked at said that the minimum was a 75% average which would be closer to a 3.0. I could be wrong, though.

SNB said:
This is interesting... Where did this come from if you don't mind me asking? Everything I've looked at said that the minimum was a 75% average which would be closer to a 3.0. I could be wrong, though.

The GPA only applies to the "specific" degree requirements and is not normally used during the academic assessment stage.  The 75% requirement still applies and is used primarily for the HS marks.

I have removed that part from my original post, so as not to create further confusion.

DAA said:
The GPA only applies to the "specific" degree requirements and is not normally used during the academic assessment stage.  The 75% requirement still applies and is used primarily for the HS marks.

I have removed that part from my original post, so as not to create further confusion.

Okay, I see. Thank you.

Its been many months since I last posted here. Unfortunately, my application was put at a dead halt since I had hardly any information and could not get a lot of documents in a timely manner as the US seems to be incredibly inefficient for the background checks.

I understand it is incredibly late in the processing, but should i still try? If not, I suppose I'll apply again in my first year of University.

Bradford_Maxwell said:
Its been many months since I last posted here. Unfortunately, my application was put at a dead halt since I had hardly any information and could not get a lot of documents in a timely manner as the US seems to be incredibly inefficient for the background checks.

I understand it is incredibly late in the processing, but should i still try? If not, I suppose I'll apply again in my first year of University.

FBI Checks out of the US take about 2 weeks.

At this point in time, if you haven't provided the documentation requested, you're probablly too late.

Previous year's RMC-ROTP posts report that the deadline to make the merit list to be considered at the first round of selection is March 16. Is this the target date for this year as well?

durhamcadet1 said:
Previous year's RMC-ROTP posts report that the deadline to make the merit list to be considered at the first round of selection is March 16. Is this the target date for this year as well?

Just like every year, the target never stops moving.  I wouldn't expect to see 1st round selections until probably the first week of Apr.

DAA said:
FBI Checks out of the US take about 2 weeks.

At this point in time, if you haven't provided the documentation requested, you're probablly too late.

I realize that, but as of right now it takes about 14-16 weeks to complete as shown here. http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks/identity-history-summary-checks
Since I was also not a citizen of the US nor had permanent residence I couldn't use a faster method. I sent it in the beginning of December once they requested I have it done, but to no avail it still hasn't arrived and they only opened my package early this month. If you know, can you tell me how long the proof I have no Identity History Summary remain valid? I'm going to Uni in Calgary or Victoria but I also still plan on applying for ROTP again during my first year. I'll read up before I ask about applying in University, though. Really would have been nice to make it off the bat since I have good grades, fitness, and leadership experience. Hopefully I make it in next year. Good luck everyone!

A quick search on google turns up some information. There might be some more expert people on here, but read this, specifically section 18, it may answer your question.

http://www.rmc.ca/aca/ac-pe/ug-apc/ar-rce/index-eng.php

Edit: I should add, those are RMC policies. Not sure what the case would be for ROTP students at Civilian Universities although I'd assume it would be similar policy.

You're not automatically "quickly shown the door" just because you fail a semester in ROTP. Depending on circumstances, there are available options to redo the courses (at own expense), change degrees, change trades (and thus degrees usually), delay commissioning, or removal from subsidy with or without reverting to NCM.

Hello all,

This is my 2nd year applying for a position with CF as a Nursing Officer through ROTP. I have completed my interview and medical towards the end of March, and I am currently awaiting to see if an offer will come my way. I like to mention that many of you, who have posted, have very impressive resumes and you will all make excellent officers one day. 

Context:
I am in my first year of Nursing with the University of Ottawa (BSc in Nursing) and my average for last semester was an A-. My High School marks were nothing spectacular, I ended up finishing with an 80 average with all my courses complete. I've played on a multitude of sports team while attending HS (i.e: volleyball, basketball, rugby, touch football, badminton, ultimate and track and field). I was captain of my Volleyball team in grade 8, 10 and 12 as well as my basketball team in grade 8. Currently, I am my class's Student Association Class Representative. Physical fitness wise (I workout 6 days a week, with Competitive volleyball on Sundays, and intramural sports on Mondays). 

Work experience:
Lifeguard (1.5 years)
Water Safety Instructor (1.5 years)
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (casually for 6 years)

I wish all applicants success,

JJY

Hello all,

This is my 2nd year applying for a position with CF as a Nursing Officer through ROTP. I have completed my interview and medical towards the end of March, and I am currently awaiting to see if an offer will come my way. I like to mention that many of you, who have posted, have very impressive resumes and you will all make excellent officers one day.

Context:
I am in my first year of Nursing with the University of Ottawa (BSc in Nursing) and my average for last semester was an A-. My High School marks were nothing spectacular, I ended up finishing with an 80 average with all my courses complete. I've played on a multitude of sports team while attending HS (i.e: volleyball, basketball, rugby, touch football, badminton, ultimate and track and field). I was captain of my Volleyball team in grade 8, 10 and 12 as well as my basketball team in grade 8. Currently, I am my class's Student Association Class Representative. Physical fitness wise (I workout 6 days a week, with Competitive volleyball on Sundays, and intramural sports on Mondays). 

Work experience:
Lifeguard (1.5 years)
Water Safety Instructor (1.5 years)
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (casually for 6 years)

I wish all applicants success,

JJY

Also, and this may be a question directed to the administration, I believe my application was sent in on March 25th (without my background checks completed/ signed off). Is it possible for my application to be processed in time for the first selections in April?

J.J.Y said:
Also, and this may be a question directed to the administration, I believe my application was sent in on March 25th (without my background checks completed/ signed off). Is it possible for my application to be processed in time for the first selections in April?

Yes, it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back