• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
clownfool said:
Am I allowed to work on a base or any military establishment if I have no uniform nor training whatsoever?

My school term is almost over, and there are a few weeks from when I finish my last exam till the start of my BMOQ course. I either have to be on some sort of leave, or working at a base. I want to avoid going on leave as much as possible because I only have 3 weeks per year, and I need to save those for Christmas and reading break.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

Don't worry.  They will have things for you to do.

clownfool said:
Am I allowed to work on a base or any military establishment if I have no uniform nor training whatsoever?

My school term is almost over, and there are a few weeks from when I finish my last exam till the start of my BMOQ course. I either have to be on some sort of leave, or working at a base. I want to avoid going on leave as much as possible because I only have 3 weeks per year, and I need to save those for Christmas and reading break.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you
Your ULO is your point of contact and they are the person that will look after your employment when you are not in school. Dont worry, you will be looked after.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I am ROTP CiviU attending BMOQ this summer. I have just received my schools registration calendar and my enrollment appointment (the time when I can select courses for the fall/winter terms) will be during BMOQ (likely in the middle of the day). My program is interdisciplinary (shares core courses with other disciplines) and this makes course selection very competitive. In my experience from previous years I will have less than an hour after my enrollment appointment begins to select my courses before they fill up. Obviously, missing a course is not an option because that would disturb my scheduled program completion and violate the contract I signed with the CF for 2 years of subsidized education.

I am wondering if this is a common issue that is addressed during BMOQ? Will I be provided the time required to enroll?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

So this is my second time applying for ROTP. I applied last year as a first year university student at McGill and did really well on the CFAT but due to starting the application late, my chosen trades had been filled and I was offered to continue my application in other trades or stop my application. So I stopped and decided to re apply for this year as a 2nd year university student. Once again they've asked me to send my transcripts into RMC which I've done and I'm confident are satisfactory (they're better grades than I had last year and last years were deemed satisfactory by RMC). However I sent my grades in around two weeks ago and have yet to receive a reply whereas last year when I replied I received an answer from RMC in a matter of days. If anyone could let me know when I might expect to hear back from them or if the time I'm waiting is normal to hear back from them please let me know. Also would it be acceptable to contact RMC with this question ? Thanks so much.

This is a very busy time of year at RMC. They are likely still dealing will admin from the new candidates that have just started.

It will likely take some time, a few weeks maybe, to get back to you.

And yes you can contact RMC, they will be able to give you a better timeline.

Be patient.

sidemount said:
This is a very busy time of year at RMC. They are likely still dealing will admin from the new candidates that have just started.

It will likely take some time, a few weeks maybe, to get back to you.

And yes you can contact RMC, they will be able to give you a better timeline.

Be patient.

Awesome thank you for the reply and for clarifying. I'm just worried about my application getting "lost in the shuffle" so to speak. I'll be sure to give them a call at some point.

If I apply for ROTP at a civilian university, do I need to meet the civilian university AND RMC admission requirement OR just the civilian one?

Hey guys, this is my first year of ROTP in civi U. I thought I would do well in comp sci but in my first semester, I failed all my courses and realized I did not want to code for a living. I plan to pursue a different degree such as International Studies or Communication. I love dealing with people on a daily basis and did customer service before I got accepted. I emailed the ULO saying that I failed. Throughout the email, they gave me 4 options. 1. Voluntary Release 2. Become non-commissioned. 3. Leave without pay. 4. Voluntary Occupation Transfer. I want to pick a different occupation related to International Studies or Communications but I read that signals is a red trade. The ULO wants to talk about it after this semester but it still leaves me worried. I'm already taking courses for the major I plan to major in. I won't be able to submit my VOT until I finish my BMOQ which will be next year of summer. Currently I'm on leave without pay but I am wondering if there is any chance I could make it through Voluntary Occupation Transfer.

Hey guys, I'm currently in Civi U for ROTP. I enrolled signals by getting Computer Science degree. In my first semester, I failed all my courses and realized I hate coding. The university has 5 retake policy and once you take 6 or more, you'll get kicked from the university. The ULO gave me options and I'm currently on Leave Without Pay. I want to VOT to a different career such as Intelligence Officer or Public Affair Officer, which requires a different degree. I'm starting to take courses which would get me a degree for the occupation as IO or PAO but in order to VOT, I need to finish BMOQ. I don't know what to do or what courses to take. I need help and suggestions, please.

First off, I hope you have read the Subsidized education manual, it has a lot of information that you have asked. Specifically here are the one you SHOULD have read para 419 - 422

Also, you need to have approval from you SEM (not ULO) to change courses/degree paths, you don't just decide on your own that you want to do something else.

You very much need to go talk to your ULO ASAP.

LWOP, and leave it alone, they'll be coming for it later. Call your RMS people to let them know.

Hi Everyone. I am requesting info for my son, Karan, who is busy with his 2nd semester final exams. Karan was accepted in ROTP last year and joined BMOQ on 10 July 2017. Unfortunately he had to seek voluntary release because he couldn't take vaccinations due to phobia of needles. He joined Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) at UOIT. He has more or less overcome his phobia now and has reapplied for ROTP this year and his application has been accepted for further processing. Can someone please guide us on likely outcomes. We understand that Karan will not have to go through CFAT and Interview again. But he would surely have to prove that he has overcome his phobia of needles. When and how will he have to do that ?? If all goes well, is there a chance that after completing BMOQ (1) this August he can join 2nd year Mechanical Engineering at RMC, Kingston ? Thank you.

Sorry if this has been posted/answered before! I did a lot of searching and couldn't find it.

I am currently a university student (just about finished first year) at a civilian university and I want to join the CAF to help pay for the rest of my degree (B.Sc.Eng). The job security at the end is a huge plus. I would be applying for Engineer Officer and EME Officer, the former being my "first choice", but both being mostly equal in appeal for me.

My question is, is there DND housing available for ROTP students at civvie university? Based off the numbers I have found for pay for Officer Cadets, it's too low for residence at my university (UManitoba). My parents house would no longer be an option if I joined the CAF.

If DND housing isn't available, does anyone know if the salary would cover living in an apartment in Winnipeg? I know a few people who are apartment hunting right now and it seems that unless you're in really rough areas in the city, you'd be hard pressed to find a clean 1 bedroom or bachelor apartment under $1200 a month.

Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

sucreus said:
Sorry if this has been posted/answered before! I did a lot of searching and couldn't find it.

I am currently a university student (just about finished first year) at a civilian university and I want to join the CAF to help pay for the rest of my degree (B.Sc.Eng). The job security at the end is a huge plus. I would be applying for Engineer Officer and EME Officer, the former being my "first choice", but both being mostly equal in appeal for me.

My question is, is there DND housing available for ROTP students at civvie university? Based off the numbers I have found for pay for Officer Cadets, it's too low for residence at my university (UManitoba). My parents house would no longer be an option if I joined the CAF.

If DND housing isn't available, does anyone know if the salary would cover living in an apartment in Winnipeg? I know a few people who are apartment hunting right now and it seems that unless you're in really rough areas in the city, you'd be hard pressed to find a clean 1 bedroom or bachelor apartment under $1200 a month.

no dnd housing. I was at u of m last year till i came back to ontario for another degree. i was at st john's residence and it was about 8k which cost more than my tution  :facepalm: but they did have payment plan though. but it includes 3 meals/day and snack on weekend/exams. there were one or two reservists living there as well
edit: all single room

Thank you! I will look into maybe finding a roommate for an apartment I suppose :/ 

I’m in Ontario in ROTP at a civilian university and yes, bills are quite tight on an OCdt salary, but it’s doable.  I live in ‘student housing’ ie. a house rented with 3 roommates and also (by choice) work a part time job.  I know another ROTP student who lived in residence as an RA or ‘don’ to help with costs of living though.  There’s no way I could afford to live in residence on this salary though (works out to about $800/month not including all food, where as rent is $500 ish in this area for a room in a house with others).  Hope this helps!

Currently applying for ROTP (civvy u), and received an email asking me about how many months left to complete my bachelor's.

From my understanding I believe you need at least 1 year left of schooling to be eligible and subsidized.

Is that one year 8 months (fall/winter semester) or 12 months (fall/winter/summer semester)? How many months left of school do I need left to be be accepted?

sucreus said:

As a member of the CAF, you would be allowed to occupy single quarters appropriate to your rank, IF they exist and IF there is vacancy.  So the question is whether there is a base nearby that has a vacancy in its single officer quarters.  I too was civvy U ROTP and I had a room in the Officers' Quarters while at school.  You have to pay for it though.  Charges for rations and quarters will come off you pay up front (so at least you will always have a roof over your head and food to eat) and because I couldn't go to the mess for lunch on weekdays, I was able to get packed lunches to take with me.  Having said all this, I still had to get a part time job if I wanted to do anything other than eat, sleep or go to class.  An ROTP OCdt salary is far from lucrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back