• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
matthew1786 said:
I am currently 25 years old and am attending a civilian university. I am in the latter half of my 2nd year at McGill University, enrolled in Electrical Engineering specializing in Power Engineering (the program is 4 years). After much research and thought, I have decided to apply for the CF via the ROTP, in the field of Engineering Officer (submitted my application yesterday).

My question is, does the Recruiting Center ever look at applicants such as myself and grant acceptance to the ROTP and allowing the completion of your degree at your current civU? Or do they recommend enrollment to RMC and start over? Or maybe even ask you to finish the degree and come back with a direct entry application later on?

My experience has been that people who are over half way done in a specialized type program where transfer may result in loss of credits / program flow problems are most often (90% of the time) left in there civilian university program. 

Good luck.  The CFRC will provide the most current policies, but this is what I have seen for the past two decades.

MC

Do inconsistent grades automatically rule you out of acceptance into ROTP? To be more specific, hypothetically speaking  ::), if someone had just about completed 2 years at a civU with shady grades and applied into ROTP, in your opinion what are the chances for success?

It depends on too many factors to tell for sure.  I was in university, on academic probation and got accepted for ROTP civi-u.  That was in 2001.  You won't know until you apply and get an official answer...

tree hugger said:
It depends on too many factors to tell for sure.  I was in university, on academic probation and got accepted for ROTP civi-u.  That was in 2001.  You won't know until you apply and get an official answer...

I've already applied (this passed weekend actually).  Thanks for the answer, it is some what reassuring! :)

Pusser said:
When you apply for ROTP, you are applying for entry into the CF as an officer in a subsidized education plan.  The numbers accepted into ROTP are determined by the required intake of officer candidates in the year that you apply, not on the number of spots available at RMC.  Once you are accepted into ROTP,  then we look at where you will go to school.  RMC is the first choice except for those pursuing degrees that are not offered there.  Once all the RMC spots are full, they start looking at sending candidates to civilian universities.  Which civilian university you go to is up to you as long as it is an accredited Canadian university (accreditation comes from provincial governments, not the CF).  It is important to note when you apply for ROTP, that you apply to civilian universities so that you have a place to go if they run out of spots at RMC.

Sorry for awakening an old thread however it leads me to a question I have been searching through google and the army.ca search for awhile..

The highlighted part in yellow is essentially my question, I was selected only "suitable" for Civi U, but my grades are up to par 90%.. blah and all that stuff. Does this mean that the fact I was not found suitable for RMC is not weighed against me? Is my merit; marks, extra curricular activities, work etc going to be taken into consideration on an equal playing ground with everyone else?  (other than not taking a Grade 12 math I have not the clue why I was found not suitable), as it gets closer to the selection I think I am going to call to make sure why I was not selected being applicable to RMC..

If it helps I am applying for Inf O, Arm O, Arty O and at the Civi U's I am applying for Political Science.

Thanks everyone!

(PS I searched  A LOT and this was the closest coming to my question)

canada94 said:
Sorry for awakening an old thread however it leads me to a question I have been searching through google and the army.ca search for awhile..

The highlighted part in yellow is essentially my question, I was selected only "suitable" for Civi U, but my grades are up to par 90%.. blah and all that stuff. Does this mean that the fact I was not found suitable for RMC is not weighed against me? Is my merit; marks, extra curricular activities, work etc going to be taken into consideration on an equal playing ground with everyone else?  (other than not taking a Grade 12 math I have not the clue why I was found not suitable), as it gets closer to the selection I think I am going to call to make sure why I was not selected being applicable to RMC..

If it helps I am applying for Inf O, Arm O, Arty O and at the Civi U's I am applying for Political Science.

Thanks everyone!

Perhaps it was due to the number of spots at Civ U that were allotted this year. 

To be perfectly honest, I *believe* that you'll have more fun at Civ U, but that's just me.  I'm pretty sure that the people who've gone to UWO for ROTP (esp in my univ program) would agree with me  :nod:

canada94 said:

Thanks everyone!

The yellow bit is my somewhat educated guess - I didn't take BC math 12 and ended up at civ U.  And I'll agree with Dimsum, it's a pretty damn good deal.  You might miss out on plugging into the social network at RMC, but Rick Hillier went to a civilian school so I'm personally not too put out (nor do I expect to be the CDS anyhow).

Dimsum said:
Perhaps it was due to the number of spots at Civ U that were allotted this year. 

To be perfectly honest, I *believe* that you'll have more fun at Civ U, but that's just me.  I'm pretty sure that the people who've gone to UWO for ROTP (esp in my univ program) would agree with me  :nod:

I understand.. My personal preference is Civi U do to the fact I live literally beside a University haha, however I would still accept RMC... I am worried that I will be "less competitive" because of my lack of RMC eligibility. But yes I understand the University social life from were I live, however I was not aware that this social life is different at RMC.

Melbatoast said:
The yellow bit is my somewhat educated guess - I didn't take BC math 12 and ended up at civ U.  And I'll agree with Dimsum, it's a pretty damn good deal.  You might miss out on plugging into the social network at RMC, but Rick Hillier went to a civilian school so I'm personally not too put out (nor do I expect to be the CDS anyhow).

Same as above I am simply worried that I could for the reason of lack of eligibility be unsuccessful.. :(

But anyways thanks for the help guys!

I didn't even put RMC on my application. In the interview they told me I wasn't eligible for RMC anyways because I didn't have a high school diploma.

I wouldn't get too worked up about not being deemed suitable for RMC.

2010newbie said:
I didn't even put RMC on my application. In the interview they told me I wasn't eligible for RMC anyways because I didn't have a high school diploma.

I wouldn't get too worked up about not being deemed suitable for RMC.

I am doing my best to stay patient and calm till the offers come out :D I really appreciative all the help I receive from this website, greatly appreciated. However only time will tell if I get accepted and at this point there is nothing I can change so I might as well  just stay as calm and positive as possible wooooooo.

Thank you!

Dimsum said:
I'm pretty sure that the people who've gone to UWO for ROTP (esp in my univ program) would agree with me  :nod:

Damn right!  ;D

Hey everyone,

I've recently applied for the ROTP and while calling the recruiter I was told that almost all ROTP's have to attend RMC if they are to accept there offer except for nursing which the school doesn't have.

I've already graduated from college with a 3 year Ontario College Advanced Diploma (Computer Programmer Analyst) and transferred my credits to a university so I have advanced standing working towards a BSc in Computer Science.

Has anyone here attended the RMC for CompSci? And if so did you/they like it?

It is known that recruiter sometimes have no idea what they are saying.

While most attend RMC, there are a lot of people going to Civi U., including people who are only authorized to go to Civi U because their grades for RMC were not good enough.

Actually, recruiters are the ones with the most up-to-date and accurate information.

Dictating between RMC or a civilian university has nothing to do with if your grades weren't good enough. The acceptance requires for ROTP are the same, regardless of where you are going. If you don't meet the requirements of the Canadian Forces, you're not getting into ROTP, period.

Messerschmitt said:
...including people who are only authorized to go to Civi U because their grades for RMC were not good enough.

Perhaps you'd like to back that one up?

Maybe better if the "expert" just STFU.

Dammit, I said it out loud again...

We were told similar for last year, that a reduced number of CIVI university and mostly as you note for nursing or others not offered at RMC. Son was accepted to RMC which is what he wanted.  Take a look at last year 2012 ROTP board and you will note very few non-RMC acceptances.  Also a number that did not even indicate RMC as an option received only and RMC offer. (Their first task is to fill RMC)

As they have a computer science program and engineering good chance that any acceptance would be to RMC.  Take a look at the website, there is a process for advanced standing.  Not sure how easy or successful individuals are in doing so. 

You may have only the option to have the full four years of RMC not reduced as much  as you would like this being the case.  Talk to the recruiter some more and ask the questions. 

PS We were told that it was more the "Military potential" and "leadership potential" that got an individual an RMC offer vs Civi U.  With the reduced offers this may have little to do with the selections going forward unless the numbers expand.

I don't imagine I'll accept an offer to RMC as I wouldn't be starting until september 2013 (unless theres a chance of january start given that I've already graduated from college?) and at that point I'll only be one year away from a B Sc. at the university I'm going to. It also would depend on the kind of transfer credits I was offered. Does anybody know if Comp Sci is a competitive degree for a pilot?

davidc538 said:
I don't imagine I'll accept an offer to RMC as I wouldn't be starting until september 2013 (unless theres a chance of january start given that I've already graduated from college?) and at that point I'll only be one year away from a B Sc. at the university I'm going to. It also would depend on the kind of transfer credits I was offered. Does anybody know if Comp Sci is a competitive degree for a pilot?

If you're in your 3rd year, they won't take you. You'll have wait and apply Direct Entry.

thats good to know although I'm not actually in 3rd year, I'm technically in second but my university offers alot of summer courses so I can finish off my degree in 1 less year. I guess we'll see what happens. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back