• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the official Ontario University Application site that has more trusted information and links to other Canadian universities. It also has descriptions on the application process and undergraduate degrees available at the different universities.

http://www.ouac.on.ca/resources/

Thank you everyone, you have been a wonderful help. I'm in my 5th year of highschool at the moment. I'll be applying in a few weeks

Hi there everyone, I'd like to first say that this is my first post, after joining these forums a while ago to gather more info on ROTP. I attended the university fair 2 weeks ago and sat in on the ROTP presentation, and had a long talk with a recruiter. I want to apply to ROTP, but I would prefer to go to a Civi U. because RMC does not offer any Biology, Microbiology, or Biomedical science degrees.

I am confused on how I will apply to ROTP before I have applied to a civillian university.. How shall I explain it.. I can't apply to any Civ uni's for another couple months i think, but talking to recruiters online and in person has informed me that the process takes months.. I'm not sure I have all that long to get all this done.. I guess the main question is do i have to wait until i get accepted to a Civi U before i can apply to ROTP??

By the way I don't think I will have too much trouble being accepted into University because I have about an 85% average in all science and math courses at university level.

Oh, I'm currently in grade 12 as of the beginning of last month, and would anyone mind telling me if pilots are in demand or if the position is competitive or not?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated, and sorry if it doesn't make too much sense; it was a little hard to explain:/ 

EDIT: Could someone also tell me if it is harder to get accepted to ROTP if I want to go to Civ U or if i want to go to RMC? Thanks!!

First off your thread is probably going to be moved since there is a questions about civy u thread that contains all the answers to your questions.

Yes you can submit your ROTP paperwork before you apply to universities. I am applying for ROTP as-well and have already submitted my paperwork. You should apply for early acceptance when possible. Just put down civi U for all three of your university choices you don't have to explain it.  Well you have to write an essay on why you want to go to your first choice institution but thats part of the paperwork.)
It takes a very long time to go through all of your references, forms, transcripts etc... Followed by an aptitude test, medical, interview and Aircrew selections testing for pilot. The selection board is in January I believe. And yes I am also applying for civi U.

The pilot trade is the most highly sought after competitive trade there is, period. My recruiter laughed when I said I was applying for pilot, he told me that usually 800 apply for pilot and they might take 20 this year. 85 average is good but many pilot applicants are in the low 90's or 89's with lots of extra curricular activities.

You should stop by your local recruiting officer for more information. The paperwork is available here you'll to have complete the ROTP app and all the CFRC forms.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/downloadapplicationforms-107
http://www.rmc.ca/adm/rratq-ppqape-eng.asp

Yes, you should definitely be applying now instead of waiting to be accepted at a civilian university. You likely will not know that you have been accepted at civilian universities until April or May, or even later, and by then, the ROTP deadline will be long gone. Apply now for ROTP, and then apply for civilian universities whenever you need to in order to make their deadlines.

The pilot trade is very very competitive; some people would say the most competitive trade to get into in the Canadian Forces. Although I still encourage you to apply for what you want to do, don't expect it to be easy to get what you want. You have to be the best in order to be accepted as a pilot. This means the best all round, not just with marks.

As for whether it's more difficult to get into the ROTP if you are civi uni as opposed to RMC, I am not sure. I have heard it is more difficult to get into RMC because there are a limited number of slots at RMC, whereas the only limit on the number of slots for the civi uni students are the predicted demands of the CF for officers. I am not totally sure, and your recruiter would be the best source of information for that.

pudd13 said:
As for whether it's more difficult to get into the ROTP if you are civi uni as opposed to RMC, I am not sure. I have heard it is more difficult to get into RMC because there are a limited number of slots at RMC, whereas the only limit on the number of slots for the civi uni students are the predicted demands of the CF for officers. I am not totally sure, and your recruiter would be the best source of information for that.

You make it sound like there is an infinite amount of openings for ROTP, with only a limited amount for RMC.  There is a finite amount of monies alloted for ROTP, so not all who apply will make the cut, be it RMC or Civvie U.

As an example, this year at the Recruit Camp at RMCC (which was for all students attending RMCC and civy u students from Ontario west; excluding the capital region) there were approx. 250 people. Out of those, only approx 65 were civy u, so the majority were heading to RMCC.

I understand that there are a finite number of slots available for ROTP. What I was trying to say, and may not have been clear with, was that the number of RMC students accepted each year are limited by both the number of ROTP slots as well as the number of students they are able to accommodate at RMC. For civilian university applicants, they are limited by the number of ROTP slots, less the slots already occupied by the RMC students. Seeing as the biggest contributing factor to the number of ROTP slots would be the predicted need of officers in the CF (or, funds for the ROTP), then it can vary from year to year, depending on the funds and the need for officers.

So what I am trying to say is that I have no idea if it would be more difficult to get into one as opposed to another.Like 2010newbie said, there were 250 people at the recruit camp this year, of which 65 were civi u. Some people might look at these numbers and interpret them as "because there are less civi u students than RMC students, it must be more difficult to be accepted as a civi u student than an RMC Cadet." I don't believe this is the case however, and I think those numbers more reflect the present need of the Canadian Forces, as well as the ability of RMC to accommodate that need.

I think you've got it right.  My first choice was actually RMC, but went to civvi U instead.  I've never quite forgiven them for that.  I wanted the red coat more than I wanted a degree, but I digress.  I will, however, admit that the best part of civvi U is that it's a lot easier to cut class (not that this is a good thing).

Pusser said:
I will, however, admit that the best part of civvi U is that it's a lot easier to cut class (not that this is a good thing).

Why would you even say that? You shouldn't be saying that skipping class is the best thing about civi u, especially since this thread will be read by all new ROTP applicants. It's definitely giving them the wrong idea of the whole purpose of ROTP. It is your duty to go to class, you are getting paid to go to class, so you should be going to class. As my SEM put it, "if you're not in class you're pretty much AWOL." I understand you will miss class every so often for good reason, but saying skipping is the best part...come on.

I think the best thing about Civ you is that you get to switch on and off while you train and when you return to your universities. Despite university being filled with drama and school work, it can never compare to the rigors of The Mega or Gagetown. You can relax slightly during the school year and enjoy yourself.

Dou You said:
Why would you even say that? You shouldn't be saying that skipping class is the best thing about civi u, especially since this thread will be read by all new ROTP applicants. It's definitely giving them the wrong idea of the whole purpose of ROTP. It is your duty to go to class, you are getting paid to go to class, so you should be going to class. As my SEM put it, "if you're not in class you're pretty much AWOL." I understand you will miss class every so often for good reason, but saying skipping is the best part...come on.

Touched a bit of a nerve did I?  Relax, it was a joke.

Sorry if that came out harsh, I just wanted to make it clear to the upcoming applicants that they shouldn't want to go to Civi U just so they can get out of class more often. That's definitely no way a future Officer should think. But I definitely went over the top for some reason(cranky because of a diet possibly? haha). I just wanted the new applicants to have the right idea going into the application process. But all is good Pusser, my bad for the tone.

Hello, I'm a grade 12 student interested in ROTP while going to Civvy U. I've read through and digested quite a few threads here and decided to create an account to ask some questions of my own, if any of you here would be kind enough to reply.

- How does one apply to ROTP + Civvy U? I went to the university fair in downtown toronto this year and asked about it, but the representative said that ultimately RMC decides which college/university you go to, which seems to conflict with some of the threads i've seen. Is this true? What are the conditions for someone to be accepted into ROTP and go to a university/college other than RMC?

I am an 84~ average student aspiring to go down the life sciences/medical career pathway and decently fit (I believe i can pass the preliminary beep test/push-ups/etc). However, i have not been particularly active in regards to extra-curricular school activities. I've only joined Grade 9 Volleyball/Grade 11 Track and Field/Grade 12 Track and Field. I do exercise and volunteer on the side though. In terms of education, i have (or will have) all the pre-requisites to enter university.

- Also, if I am accepted into Civvy U + ROTP, is it necessary for me to crop my hair military style at any point? I know CF funds our education during the school year, but during the summer we are expected to be trained in a camp right? Will it be necessary to cut your hair for the camp?

- What is the major difference between ROTP and Reserves? Reserves are harder to be accepted into right? 15 selections per year? If one is accepted into reserves, then compulsory duty is 3 years or optional altogether? How does compulsory duty work? From what i've gleamed, it is 2months for every 1month of subsidized learning? Does that mean if i go through 8 years of schooling i will have to return 16 years in terms of service? I'm not trying to exploit ROTP, but 16 years is a long time for a twelfth grader to fathom. Is it possible to pay off some of my schooling myself with ROTP as support?

Uh, i suppose that's it for now. Any response would be greatly appreciated -- and sorry if i come off as ignorant.
-Volant

Hello,
I would like to start by apologizing, as I have become aware that the administrators of this website are not fans of repeated questions. But please do take my word for it that I made a tedious effort to find the answer to my question within the abundance of threads that already exists, unfortunately unsuccessfully.

I therefore, created an account to ask the question myself. The question is: If I were to apply to the ROTP, and if I were to be an exceptional candidate, would I be required to attend RMC? The reason I ask this is because I am extremely set on attending the University of Victoria, but I fear some kind of conditional acceptance into the ROTP program on the basis that I attend RMC.

I recently graduated from high school in British Columbia. Graduation here requires 80 high school credits (4 per class), but I graduated with 114. I have an 83% average, with all three sciences, principles of math, advanced placement psychology, and a few liberal arts, such as English literature and comparative civilizations. I have been in leadership classes for the last 4 years, and on select sponsored soccer and rugby teams. I graduated with my dogwood, as I completed my 12 years of schooling in French immersion.

I feel confident (but not cocky) about getting accepted into the ROTP program, but I fear I wouldn't get to go to the university I always dreamt of attending. I ultimately want to double major in biology and psychology, with a bachelors of science. The military career I want (you may find it irrelevant) is Infantry Officer.

So someone, please, answer my one simple question. I hope I provided enough information to do so. It would be much appreciated! I will even accept crude answers (George Wallace), as I believe those are the most honest and will help me grow the most.

PS I apologise for any spelling or grammatical errors, it's difficult to be precise on an iPhone.

I applied for UTPNCM (similar to ROTP, but for currently-serving NCMs) and I was told that going to RMC was the preferred option for applicants.  If, however, you aim to get a degree that is acceptable to whichever officer classification for which you intend to apply, and that degree is not granted at RMC, then you may be allowed to attend a civilian university.

For example, suppose you want to be an Infantry Officer, and you are entering for a Philosophy degree, then you may be able to attend (insert Civy U name here)

But in the end, the CF will decide which university you will attend.  Well, by "decide", I mean "offer", because you may decide on your own to say "flip that", and attend university on your own dime, and then apply DEO after the fact.

Well I noticed RMC doesn't have a biology subfaculty in their faculty of science, maybe that could be my big break..

Unless, perhaps, they'd find it silly and unnecessary to subsidise a degree that concentrates on biology, only so the student can be an officer..?

I'm sure they're looking for some kind of relevance.. I just want to learn about something I love and then do something that I'm interested in.

Life is not easy.

Pretty much what Technoviking said.  You may apply for civilian university but you may be offered entry into RMC.  At that time, you will have to think long and hard about what your ultimate goal really is.  Keep in mind, that in the CF, you may move to many places over your career and it's not a great idea to get your hopes up about being posted where you want to be.

From a document found on Google:

The first priority of the Canadian Forces is to fill positions at the Royal Military College of Canada for all occupations other than for the medical occupations such as Nurse, Pharmacist and Physiotherapist.

Source:  http://www.kingsown.ca/Old%20Site/ROTP%20Quest%20Part%201_en.pdf

From the Forces website:

Sometimes, there are more qualified candidates than the CMC System can accommodate or your choice of programme is not offered. In this instance, you would be eligible to apply to any Canadian university.

Hope that helps a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back