• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP going to IAP This summer

There is a little bit of truth to IAP being less than 9 weeks, but this is a "special" case for "special" people.  ;D
Something new is being trialed with the people that have finished Prep year at Campus Fort St. Jean. We learned alot of the stuff they teach on IAP here during the regular year, in fact, we just got gassed yesterday.

I was reading some of the papers on what is happening this summer for basic or IAP, in Montreal and what we can bring and what not.  I had some questions.  Since we are told what to bring, can we bring other items such as books or mp3 player?  So for bringing a laptop, is it just not allowed in our room or we cannot bring one altogether?  Thanks.

A few small items (i.e. books and mp3 players) are not a problem. The basic rule is, as long as you have storage space in your private box (or whatever they are calling it this year), and it's not illegal, you can have it.

As far as the laptop goes, you will not be able to, or have time to, touch it in the first 4 weeks. It will remain in the civy lock-up with the rest of your nonessential kit. After that, it will be up to your staff on whether you "deserve" the use of things like the laptop and dvd players.

The topic of what has to be taken to, and extras that can be taken to, IAP has been covered in detail in another thread.  I am sure an officer aspirant will be able to SEARCH it.

Just a heads up to anyone who is selected for ROTP, whether it be RMC or Civilian University.  The IAP/BOTPs for this summer are completely full so that means some of you will not attend IAP/BOTP this summer before starting school.  For the RMC candidates you will be attending a two week indoctrination session in Fort St Jean with the Juniors so you won't embarrass yourselves when you march through the Arch.  Civilian university candidates will hopefully take their IAP/BOTP next summer.  A word of caution here and that is you still must pass the IAP/BOTP to stay in the program and if you do your IAP/BOTP after starting your second year and don't pass it you will be financially responsible for all academic subsidization to that point.  Just the same as if you wanted to quit after starting your second year.

As of when are they full? Does this mean if we have not received any info on IAP or BOTP we are probably not loaded on a course?
Thanks

P.S. Does this mean I will not get any uniform? I was looking forward to wearing one to the remembrance day ceremony in Ottawa.

Quick question(s) ;D, I have heard a couple of guys are going to St. Jean in june 26 and some in the first week of july. So does this mean there are two courses going on, or like 2 sqn's of candidates doing their course. Also, on weekends or whenever its free time, is one allowed to go to Montreal?
Thanks

we probably won't get any leave until week 4.

there are 64 people on my IAP. 24 females, 40 males.

there is 2 English courses starting on June 26 and 2 others English courses on july 3. There is also 1 french couse on july 3.

no leave before week 4, after that if you are not CB yes you can go to Montreal on week-end

I found out that, even though I have been accepted for the RoTP this year, I will not be going to IAP tell 2007, then BOTC in 2008, second language training in 2009 and job training in 2010.

I was going to IAP this summer but now it turns out that I am not doing anything with the CF this summer.  I will be on Leave Without Pay tell 25 Aug 06, from the time I am sworn in.

Leave Without Pay.  Not a good thing.  How many days LWOP are you going to have?  Do you realize that those days will cost you at the end of your career?  You will have to work that many days past your 'Release Date' or loose a complete year of Severance Pay.

While the ideal is to enrol people with no more than 21 days LWOP there are some people who will be enrolling with over 80 days of LWOP and all with lengthy LWOP are fully briefed on the ramifications.  An unfortunate byproduct of doing business these days.

But what if one is on LWOP at no fault of their own? If the recruiting center has sworn them in and the course is at a later date, and they're on LWOP. Why should they be penalized later on for that? I am confused if someone could clarify, that would be great.
Thanks.

joshi said:
But what if one is on LWOP at no fault of their own? If the recruiting center has sworn them in and the course is at a later date, and they're on LWOP. Why should they be penalized later on for that? I am confused if someone could clarify, that would be great.
Thanks.

Well it comes down to whether or not you want the job or not and if you do, you take what you are offered.  Unfair?  Maybe and maybe not.  If you ever get that far to actually worry about it then you can tackle it at that time.  You are now on LWOP because you signed the paperwork so I guess it would be your fault now.

Actually... I have yet to sign any papers because my swearing in ceremony is not tell June the 17th, (two weeks from now) which will give me 69 or 70 days on LWOP. 

Back