• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running Cadences

FredDaHead

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Hey,

I‘m looking for any French running cadence. Or at least something Canadian, as everything I‘ve found yet is american. Thanks for any help or pointers,

-Frederik G

Canadians‘ don‘t sing when we run. We run too fast to sing.

Or as I‘ve been told by a master corporal, "Canadians suffer in silence" :D

Here‘s the rule of thumb -- if you are singing, you are running too slow. If you can‘t talk, you are running too fast. And if you are puking, you‘ve been running too fast, but probably have a lot of running left to go!

I trained with a francophone reserve unit, and they indeed sang cadences a-la-USA. I was surprised because I had previously understood that Canadians don‘t do that. I‘ll see what I can remember from all those tunes...

Doug your right. ever see how fast the Ualls run. I walk faster.

Hey all.

I know I'm resurrecting this thread, but I'm curious.  So they don't do cadence in bmq or infantry training?  The reason I asked is that I'm currently doing six minute miles (I run a half hour a day in the morning at 5am). I can do cadence but I'm a bit out of  breath,  but I'm getting there.  So  my question is, does anyone know of any basic cadences one can do on a run and what is the average speed of PT runs in the Canadian forces and how long do you run on average each day?  I will probably ask this last part again in the recruiting section.

Thanks,

Spade.

i always thought that the point of a cadence was to take your mind off of being tired while doing something physical (like running)...i mean if your busy trying to remember lyrics, or listen to them and then repeat them, then you can't focus on being tired, and it gets you psyched up to do more physical...doesn't it?

Yes I suppose, but at the same time you are sacrificing your oxygen intake. Think about it, if you're running at a moderately fast pace while trying to concentrate on singing and remember the lyrics, its going to do more damage. Rather "suffer in silence" :)

What Doug said. But with some swearing, homosexual references, and a quick swipe at Doug.
You add all that in for yourself, though, I'm feeling lazy.

I thought the idea of cadence was to keep everybody at the same pace, as well as at a heart rate level that was steady enough to allow for it. I was under the impression that you wanted to be able to carry on a conversation while running and not be dog tired or out of breath or to get to that point while running at faster speeds. The reason I asked about the cadence was to have something to go with (and be sure I was  running at a proper rate to allow for cadence).  I figure there is no point running ones lungs ragged or pushing ones body over the edge every night of the week.  Find a good pace and work at maintaining heart rate while increasing it gradually.
Or am I way off base?

thanks,

Spade.

no, there's no need to gut yourself every run. In fact, that's counter-productive. Run 'til you puke no more than twice a week (and don't stop runnin' just 'cause you're pukin'). You try to gut yourself on every run, you'll get over-trained rapidly, and start into a catabolic state you ain't gonna get out of. Then, you'll just get ill. You want to build an aerobic base first. Start a program that incorporates long-distance running, wind sprints/Fartleks, and hill/stair running. Make sure you plan for recuperation days. You don't rest, you don't improve. This site has several threads that will give you more in-depth advice.

Ahh...good times....  My favorite is when "outside agencies" (usually HQ groups from anywhere) deciede to go for a run with us and are blown away by the pace.  Doing the sand hills in Petawawa and a generals aide is gasping for breath and loosing her mind because we're laughing and talking about the weekend as we run, "My God, how can you talk!!".....But then we always have to pull the old double left wheel and go back to pick that slowpoke Paracoyboy!  "Get up here Cowgirl, that puking excuse doesn't work all the time!" ;)

paracowboy said:
You want to build an aerobic base first. Start a program that incorporates long-distance running, wind sprints/Fartleks, and hill/stair running. Make sure you plan for recuperation days. You don't rest, you don't improve. This site has several threads that will give you more in-depth advice.

Ah hills.  Got to love em.  My goal is to get back to a point where there is no change in breathing rate for hills. As for sprints. Its always fun to do steady pace runs and now and then have points where you sprint a block, then regular pace a block and do that for a portion of the run. Pretty straight forward stuff really.  I guess my only other question is. Do you run in your own personally purchased running shoes or does the military provide (or do you run in combat boots .  I heard from someone its running shoes but i wasn't 100% sure.

thanks,

Spade.

Spade said:
I guess my only other question is. Do you run in your own personally purchased running shoes or does the military provide (or do you run in combat boots .   I heard from someone its running shoes but i wasn't 100% sure.
buy your own shoes. We don't run in boots anymore. (I won't go into my standard rant here. But it involves several curses, in three languages, and revolves around weakness and the fact that it's a useless stop-gap measure. You can fill in the rest. Be imaginative! I'm a clever man and take my swearing quite seriously.)
Go to a sports store and talk to someone who knows his stuff. Don't cheap out, and don't buy for the name. Buy what will provide the support and cushion you'll need.

I donno....all through my training....(BMQ, SQ, Engineer QL3, para, and diving) we ran in boots. but there is a standard to stop it. and I've seen it done, and we ran PT alllllllll night lol

McGowan said:
I donno....all through my training....(BMQ, SQ, Engineer QL3, para, and diving) we ran in boots. but there is a standard to stop it. and I've seen it done, and we ran PT alllllllll night lol

I dont know about the rest of you folks, but i smell some serious poo here....

McGowan, Im pretty sure that Ive got issued Underwear with more T.I. then you, and I still consider myself somewhat new given that ive got about six and a half years reserve compared to some of the fine soldiers here with a fair bit more...

you dont honestly expect me or any of the other members with any sort of real Time In to belive that in one post dated March 17, 2005, 23:29:58  you write "...now my re-kit dated is april 4th, after I have started basic..." and here youre saying youve done para and cbt diver...

Give me a Freekin Break... and Stay within your arcs... so far you havent given out any real bad advice to the new guys, but since youre still greener then a MilCot i suggest that when giving advice stop speaking like youve been there and done that. Im wlling to bet you dont even have the T-shirt yet.

anyways, stick to what you know, and if you ever want an ounce of respect on these boards then dont ever BS your experiance. its a smaller army then you think and people will find out.

Regards  :salute:

Noted by moderators.  Member has been issued verbal warning.

I remember one time in Meaford our platoon was doing double quick time back to the tents after chow because we were late, and an RCD Captain jacked up our marching NCO who was a mcpl right in front of us for making us run in boots on the concrete.....

Personally I don't see what the big deal is....it's not like we "walk" into combat...(but then there's the whole "un-necessairy injury" side of the coin..)

Back